Any Pentax film shooters out there?

asimrazakhan

<p>Just wondering if all Pentaxian (besides myself) have gone digital. Anyone still shoot film out there? I sometimes feel like I'm on a deserted island whenever I visit this forum.... and believe it or not, I visit on a regular basis.</p>

<p>I'm still shooting transparency film and projecting them as well. Its the most enjoyable form of photography <em>for me</em>. <br />If you think an image looks amazing on a computer monitor, you should see what it looks like as a projected image using a Leica P600 projector with Colorplan lens after it was shot using a Pentax SLR with Provia 100F or Velvia 50 using a Limited 31, 43, or 77mm lens. You'll never look at a computer monitor the same way again.</p>

<p>Let's see if I can start a new saying.... hmmmmmm</p>

<p>Once you project on a wall<br />You'll never again go digi-tal<br>

Unless by force<br>

Of course</p>

I have an MX - usually stuffed with Neopan 1600 and sporting a 40mm f/2.8 SMC-M - as a go-everywhere

pocket camera; a 645N as one of my main carry cameras; and a 6x7 for a bit of heavyweight fun. If

anything my K20D is the Pentax for which I'm least likely to reach.

Admittedly the 6x7 is on its last legs. When it finally kicks the bucket I plan to replace it with a 67II.

<p>Funny you should ask, I just picked up a 645 and three lenses. Granted it's part of my preparation for a 645D, but using the 645 will help me get my bearings around the aspect ratio in a very low-risk way. So I picked up all sorts of 220 and 120 color print films to play with. Fuji 400, Kodak Portra 400 NC, Kodak Portra 400 VC, and the new Porta 400. I'm staying with the higher speeds for landscape work because it's so dark here right now.<br>

I'll get prints and scans back towards the end of week.<br>

Any film suggestions are welcome greatly.</p>

<p>ME</p>

<p>Yes, I like my MZ-3 and MX. My daughter loves her K1000. She's borrowing the MX for a roll since there's Tri-X in the K1000, and she wanted to shoot Portra 400. Neither of us really like the Program Plus -- the LCD display is from hell. There's also a SuperA that's too flaky to use, that's what actually got us started on Pentax, it was a gift.</p>

<p>I shot some Velvia 50 around the end of October. More recently, I shot some Kodak Gold 100. I still shoot print film when I need many prints made, or need the greater DR it offers. My MZ-S, ZX-L, PZ-1p still get used, and occasionally the manual-focus Super Program.</p>

<p>My computer was down for a good while, so I just returned to shooting only film until I could get it running. </p>

<p>My current film line-up: Ricoh XR-1, MX, Super Program, ZX-7, *ist, and I just picked up an H3 (which I obviously needed). Mostly through a roll of TMax 100 in the Super Program, and a roll of Velvia in the ZX-7. John, I love the Super Program, although the LCD could be better, especially paired with a DA40. The 2 places I most recently had my developing done have closed, though, so still looking around for that.</p>

<p>I shot some Velvia 50 around the end of October. More recently, I shot some Kodak Gold 100. I still shoot print film when I need many prints made, or need the greater DR it offers. My MZ-S, ZX-L, PZ-1p still get used, and occasionally the manual-focus Super Program.</p>

<p>My computer was down for a good while, so I just returned to shooting only film until I could get it running. </p>

<p>I think I'm like a lot of others who started in photography with film -- there's just something about it that's enjoyable in a way that digital isn't. I have a K-7 and a few lenses, and I use them, and I like what they can do. But I also have an MX, an LX, and an MZ-S, and I get a satisfaction from shooting with them - particularly the first two - that isn't there with the DSLR. The simplicity of it, the fact that you have to think MORE about the exposure itself (at least I do), the feel of a really well made camera in your hands -- shoot, I can't explain it, I just enjoy it.</p>

<p>Yes, I still shoot transparencies and B&W on an MG and SFX1 and an old Voigtlander Perkeo. But just last week, having paid an astronomical amount of money just to get a few slides developed, I reluctantly decided to retire my film cameras. I'll put them in mothballs in the hope that one day film might make a big comeback and be more affordable, but for now my K7 is going to start earning its keep.</p>

I regularly shoot my K2 and my ZX-M, though I have other bodies, these are the ones that get used the most. My K1000 needs CLA'd, my ME needs light seals, my ME-Super needs the shot counter winder fixed, but works great otherwise. I've been drooling over 645s and 645Ns lately, but lenses are getting more rare since everyone is stocking up for the 645D.

<p>

My most often used film is Gold 200, but I've been wanting to get some XP-2 Super fed into one of the bodies. I develop the film fairly slowly since I shoot very carefully. I can usually shoot a roll in 2-3 weeks and get mostly keepers I'd hang on my wall. I'd like a nicer scanner though in order to make bigger prints.

<p>

Ansel Adams was right: Pre-visualization is key.

<p>

Zack Arias was right: Film isn't dead, it's coming back.

<blockquote>

<p>Ansel Adams was right: Pre-visualization is key.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>He never used the term <em>"pre-visualisation"</em> as it does not exist. <em>Visualisation</em> (to spell it correctly as I'm English!) already implies "pre-" and is the word Mr Adams used in his books (except he used a Z).</p>

<p>Indeed, visualisation is involved, which is often perplexing to those coming into photography in the DSLR age- sorry, no LCD screen feedback! (Oh! I'm lost!) The dictionary here gives both s and z spellings. One has to rely more on paying attention to metering and what the camera is doing if in Program AE.</p>

<p>I get my processing done here at a Meijer store, a large chain super-store her in Michigan, as well as in northern Ohio and Indiana. Apparently they use a Fuji service. Takes about 10 days. I pay $9 US for a roll of 36 mounted slides, which come out fine. I also get sets of 5x7 prints at a very reasonable rate when ordered with roll development.</p>