critique my setup

moosekaka_lim

<p>ok, i know most people will say just concentrate on taking photos and not obsess with equipment...that being so i found a very nice N70 film camera in november last year sitting unused and bought myself a used minty 50mm 1.8d to give it a spin.<br>

lo and behold, i loved the camera and lens, but decided i needed more 'wide angle' and also a better body (N70 has a funky menu system that is not the fastest)....so now i have:<br>

F100<br>

24mm f2.8 D<br>

50mm 1.8D<br>

70-300 G ED VR (this one was too good to pass up, man. refurb on adorama for only $350)<br>

backup:<br>

N70<br>

bag: used Tamrac aero 85<br>

filters: UV filters for all 3 lens, 81A in 67 and 52, CLP in 67<br>

scanner: epson v500 flatbed<br>

benro tripod and ballhead<br>

about to add a set of Hitech cokin P hard +soft grads</p>

<p>I mostly take landscapes, so what would be the recommendation for my next purchase? i've spent about <br>

a $1200 so far for the whole setup above, and i shoot about a roll or two a week, mostly on weekends.<br>

i was thinking about a flash, for my f100...but was thinking maybe i need to slow down my rate of<br>

equipment purchase! i definitely want to upgrade my skill though, and am looking for some good books<br>

(Composition by excell, rickman, simon or Photographic composition by Zakia, any suggestions )?<br>

the subject i would most like to learn most about is lighting and composition.</p>

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>The 70-300mm VR is not a DX lens. This being said, Im pretty sure it will not work in aperture priority mode or have working VR with the N70. The N70 does not have the ability to adjust aperture. It needs a non-G lens with a aperture ring. Also, it predates VR lenses. It is fully compatible with the F100 though.</p>

<p>Personally, I can't go back to film and scanning. 36 or 72 shots per week? What a throw back! I shoot ~100 per photography outing but some of my friends are up in the 300-400 range...Anyways, if you are fine with it, that's all that matters. Maybe a speed flash or a macro lens? Good luck and have fun!</p>

<p>yes, scanning is a bit of a pain...but then not having to scour 300-400 shots an outing makes up for it!<br>

i knew the 70-300 wont work in aperture mode or manual or VR with my N70...its a backup, and i intend to mostly mount it with the 50 1.8d for a light walkabout.<br>

i got the idea to use fixed wide angle and light zoom from mr K*n R....<br>

i like to keep my setup light...hence even the tripod that i have is only 2 pounds with ballhead.<br>

so...any recommendations on good photography books? the two i mentioned were recommended by Amazon...not sure if there are better books out there ...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>yes, scanning is a bit of a pain...but then not having to scour 300-400 shots an outing makes up for it!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>AA's the Negative I would imagine is a routine guide for landscape shooters. Btw, just because you can doesn't mean you have to shoot 300-400 shots per outing with digital.</p>

<p>Your setup is very good for film shooting. I used to have a Tokina 17mm f/3.5 (I think it was f/3.5) that was excellent. A lot less expensive is the Vivitar 19mm. Both are manual focus. Tokina had a very good 17-35 or 19-35 (not sure which) AF zoom that was very good optically and relatively inexpensive. A flash is always a good thing to have. Another thing to consider is trading the F70 for an F80. The F80 (I have an N80 which I loved using) is much more user friendly, can use G lenses, and can be gotten for very little money.</p>

<p>A book worth getting is, "Learning to See Creatively", by Bryan Peterson. It covers composition and the art of seeing.</p>

<p>i was thinking of trading the N70 for an N80 (US here)....however i think that might be a low priority for me right now...anyway the N70 can still use S or P mode with G lenses....i could just adjust the shutter speed to get the aperture i want...slower i know but not a deal breaker....ON THE OTHER HAND....i cant use manual lenses with the N80, no metering!....thats the funny thing that the older N70 can still meter CW and spot with AIS lenses...i was almost going to get a 24mm 2.8 AIS....and i heard that the 28mm AIS is legendary....who knows?<br>

freeman's book...hmm now that sounds like a good one....</p>

<p>Hate to say it, but my recommendation would be a used digital SLR. Flat bed scans of 35mm just won't enlarge very well. </p>

<p>Also, if you're using velvia 100 (not so much 50) I'd recommend against the hi tech filters. They are great for the money but have a magenta tint on velvia 100 (which has a magenta tint in general; my theory: too sensitive to IR).</p>

<p>Otherwise, everything seems nice. I quite liked the 35mm focal length when I shot 135 so that's something I would add, personally, but is entirely a matter of taste.</p>

<p>i am shooting print film! fuji 200 and 100. i have a few rolls of reala im saving up. i know i hear a lot about negative film's wide dynamic range, but i find the sky still washes out during sunrise/sunset. hence the hitech. hopefuly they wont have a tint with negatives?</p>

<p>regarding the scanner....i lust for a nikon coolscan v....but there all are going for around ($1000 !!!) on ebay....weren't they originally $600 brand new? should have stocked up on them then!</p>

<p>I think you should be okay with most print film. I only really get a tint with velvia 100.</p>

<p>There are some places that scan slides with the Nikon 9000 or the like for very cheap. It might be worth sending your best shots there or renting an imacon or something. I wouldn't buy a Nikon scanner at current prices, although I've used the 9000 and think it's fantastic.</p>

<p>I`m with M Dawg... if you want me to critique your setup, I say I`d miss a DSLR here.</p>

<p>Learning with a digital camera is way easier, faster (<em>much</em> faster) and productive than with a film camera. You will save money, too. You don`t need a top class model, I bet that any entry level, low pixel count, used camera, will give you better images than the ones you get scanning with a V500. I`d keep using the F100 for chromes, or prints as well. Your lenses can be used in a DX camera, and when you need wide simply use your F100 (24mm on DX is not so wide). I`d give digital a try.</p>

<p>Okay, so looking at this I think the only obvious omission is a flash (for fill mostly) and the weak link is the scanner. Usually with landscapes you want to be able to get a shot with a lot of sharp detail and a flatbed isn't good at this. Dedicated film scanner aren't the easiest things to find (those ones they sell at BJ's are not as good as your Epson) but my strategy was to patiently troll Craig's List and I ended up with an excellent Minolta Dual IV for not much money, and use Vuescan.</p>

<p>BTW if you want to learn how to be a snapshooter and take 10 shots for every 1 that's any good, I'd definitely recommend getting a digital.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>bruce's book...unfortunately it doesnt seem available at amazon</p>

</blockquote>

<p>AbeBooks Inc. is a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc.</p>

<blockquote>

</blockquote>

<p>http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=3906549187&searchurl=an%3Dbruce%2Bbarnbaum%26sts%3Dt%26tn%3Dthe%2Bart%2Bof%2Bphotography%26x%3D61%26y%3D7</p>