Film stored at room temperature post-exposure

roman_dean

<p>Hi,<br>

I'm still learning the ropes of photography. I've been shooting mostly Tri-X while on break from school and therefore don't have access to a lab (without paying for it that is, and a broke college student such as myself cannot afford to pay for processing of multiple rolls.) It's been sitting in my drawer at room temperature for upwards of a month and I'm wondering if this will have had critical effects on the film. I also recently started shooting Ilford Delta 3200 which has been sitting for less time; at most a couple of weeks. They are in the fridge now, after it dawned on me that it was probably a better place for it than my drawer. I'm just wondering if anyone might have any feedback as to whether or not the film might still be okay... thanks.</p>

<p>The only problem you might have is whether you packaged the film well enough when you put it in the fridge. Moisture is a much bigger issue that the little time you mentioned here. Be sure, if it wasn't packaged airtight, that you put it in something air tight and let it come to room temperature before taking it out or giving it to the lab.</p>

<p>It is certainly best to process film ASAP, however, I have done jobs where I was on the road for a couple of months in humid and hot conditions. My film was all kept in air tight coolers (not cooled) and it was all fine. I even waited about 6 months to process some 4x5 color neg, not a problem (not the best procedure though!).</p>

<p>Depends on the film and how it was exposed.</p>

<p>As long as it wasn't underexposed and isn't an ultra-fast film like Delta 3200 or T-Max 3200, it can sit for years at normal room temperature and still be okay. As long as it's not too hot or humid it'll produce acceptable results when you get around to processing it.</p>

<p>If it was underexposed in anticipation of push processing, the latent image is less stable and by delaying processing you'll lose the darker midtones (there won't be any true shadow detail if the film was underexposed). Underexposed film or film intended for pushing should be developed as soon as possible.</p>

<p>After as little as a month some loss of the lower midtones will occur. You can test this for yourself. Rate a roll of ISO 400 film at 1600. Shoot half the roll now. Wait a month and finish the roll, then develop it immediately. Compare the two halves. The first half taken a month earlier will probably show more featureless transparent areas in the negatives where there should have been some shadow and lower midtone detail. (BTW, daylight tests usually aren't valid for this type of comparison - try it with indoor or dimly lighted scenes for a more reasonable informal test.)</p>

<p>Ultra-fast films like Delta 3200 are vulnerable to fogging from radiation penetrating our atmosphere. Storage in a refrigerator or freezer probably won't help. Usually I buy the stuff fresh and use it immediately. I have a few rolls in my fridge but don't plan to use them for anything important since they're several years old. The true speed of these films is usually about half or less the number on the package (Ilford doesn't claim it's an ISO 3200 film - it's closer to 1200-1600). With these older rolls I might try them at 800 and soup in HC-110 but I'd expect high base fog.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>I wouldn't worry Roman. Keep them in the refrigerator and they will be OK for a quite a while.<br>

Confession time - I am currently undertaking the marathon task of processing 40+ colour transparency films and around 25 mixed black and white negative films, some of which were slightly out-of-date when I purchased them. Some date back as far as early 2006 but all were placed in cold storage upon being removed from the cameras, (that means that a few stayed in the camera at ambient temperature before being finished). I am about half way through the exercise at the time of writing and so far the results are excellent. Among the films I have processed was a 127 Verichrome Pan which belongs to a relative. This film is of 196? vintage and was NOT refrigerated. This one has been the ONLY failure so far, there is only very faint evidence of any images on the negative.<br>

To sum up - don't leave films in the camera too long, especially when there are only a few shots left to take but don't worry about a few weeks. Get them exposed and get them in the fridge. Better yet, get them processed ! I am one to talk, with my recent track record ! My wife is delighted with the extra space she now has in her fridge .<br>

I wish you every success with your photography Roman.</p>