Canon 580EX misfiring

ruimarto

<p>Hi. My Canon 580EX started misfiring a few weeks ago. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. This happens with remote triggers, in the camera hotshoe, while using wireless TTL and even with the test button.<br>

A few months ago something similar happened with a Canon 430EXII and Canon said it was the flash tube that needed replacement (repair cost of $120). Has anyone experienced the same or agree that the problem is the flash tube?<br>

I don't want to spend money on a new tube, just to find that the problem doesn't go away.</p>

<p>Rui, Do you have any reason to believe it may not be the flash tube? How old is the flash? If you're using it to the extent it requires several sets of batteries per day, it wouldn't surprise me to see parts fail. Canon repair includes warranty. You will have time to test it after the service. I guess it's either that or a new unit. Good luck!</p>

<p>Mark, as I said, the flash does not work normally on the camera. It's not the triggers. When I say mis-firing, I mean most of the times it does not fire. Sometimes it does.<br /><br />Christopher, the unit is a bit old (more than two years) but the reason I'm finding hard to believe it's the flash tube because sometimes it fires. Shouldn't it stop firing completely?<br />The only reason I think it's the flash tube is because the same thing happened with a 430EXII and Canon said it was the tube. </p>

<p>What kind of wireless remote are you using?</p>

<p>Pocket wizard has known range issues with the 580ex - from there web site:</p>

<p><strong>Solutions for improved range performance with the </strong><strong>Canon 430EX, 580EX and 580EX II flashes. </strong><br>

- These flashes emit high levels of RF interference.<br>

- The Canon 430EX II, 550EX, 420EX and 270EX have excellent range because they do not have high RF noise emissions.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Xenon flash tubes can fail gradually owing to vapourisation of the cathode electrode or deterioration of the envelope. This latter can result in erratic triggering. Every time the tube flashes it reduces its life a bit. Eventually the tube will fail to operate completely.</p>

<p>Another cause of failure to fire is a failing trigger transformer.</p>

<p>If you send it back to Canon they will fix whatever is wrong with it, tube or not - for a fee.</p>

<p>Henry</p>

<p>Rui, It sounds like this flash is used heavily. If this is a chronic malfunction in variable set ups and other flashes (like 580EX) work fine in the same locations, the flash has a problem and is unreliable and needs repaired. You are not making a bad decision to get it fixed. As a professional you need your flashes to work reliably for consistent results and work flow. This is a tool of your trade. Chalk it up to the cost of doing business. Keep the receipt and list it as a business expense when you file your taxes next year.</p>

<p> </p>

Cheers, Mark

<p>Is the hot shoe on your camera loose? If so, contact would be irregular regardless of the device attached, and could cause the problems you're having.</p>

<p>Also, are you waiting some time between shots? If the flash goes to sleep, it takes a second to wake up, but if you fire without waiting, the flash won't trip.</p>

<p>Jay has a very good point. I was going to say that maybe the overheating prevention function kicked in, but what that does is to increase the re-cycle time to about 20+ seconds between flashes. If it starts doing that, then you have to let the flash rest for 15+ minutes before the function is disabled.</p>