Monitor suggestions

<p >Similar to my computer suggestions thread.... Looking for a monitor to use for my photo editing.<br>

I currently have 40,000 plus RAW files i have not processed b\c the screen on my current cheap laptop is very badly calibrated, the pictures i have processed and printed look horrible.<br>

Dont need the best monitor just something good/better then a std crappy monitor.... good bang for my buck.<br>

I am thinking 20"+<br>

Any suggestions?</p>

<p >Thanks!</p>

<p>I have an old Apple Cinema Display that I bought used from a friend. I love it. The color is perfectly rendered and I have enough resolution "space" to properly see my images. It requires a funky connection, a proprietary Apple Display Connector (ADC) specifically, which I have sorted out, but it might be an issue for others. Here's what I use:<br /> http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Cinema-Display-display-0-258/dp/B00008DCYE/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1294443703&sr=1-12</p>

<p>I'd consider a used Apple monitor if you can see it in person, or return it should you not be satisfied. I think they are superior for photo editing, not just for color but because how easy they are on your eyes while you work. </p>

<p>I have always had good luck with Dell Monitors. May purists scoff at Dell, but properly calibrated they are good. I have a 3007FP (30 inch). I you are considering used I would see it in action pay in person, then take it home with piece-of mind to spare.</p>

<p>Look into the NEC SpectraView II line of “smart monitors” which are driven with their software to take advantage of the high bit panels and instrument. A bundle with display, colorimeter and software is often less than getting it all ala carte. </p>

<p>http://www.necdisplay.com/products/product/?product=1713e080-c8e3-4aab-9447-73dacb301b84</p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>Best bang for buck for me, and also is above average, are the high end Dell Monitors. I have one 24" Dell that has been on all day, every day, for 6 years and not a hick-up.The only better ones I could recommended are the NEC's that Andrew points to.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Seems like all the monitors that come in a package with a coloimeter are in the quad digits.... any suggestions on a entry level Colorimeter?</p>

<p>The Dell UltraSharp U2311H 23"W.... has a nice price tag on it.... Is it "good" enough? I could spend more if it was worth it.</p>

<p>Thx</p>

<p>The NEC P221W (22") has been a very nice monitor for me. Cost varies depending on whether you need to buy the SpectraView (i1) colorimeter or not but IIRC $650 or so is about the most you'd have to pay if you get the monitor, SpectraView (which you definitely want) and the SpectraView (i1) colorimeter. However, quite a few other colorimeters are compatible with SpectraVeiw (e.g. the Spyder II and III colorimeters) and if you don't need the SpectraView colorimeter you can reduce the price by roughly $150 IIRC. The NEC/SpectraView web site has a list of compatible colorimeters if you're in doubt.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that the $150 colorimeter NEC bundles is somewhat unique in that its filters are matted to the panel. Its an EyeOne Display-2 but OEMed for them with these unique matted filters. If you don’t have a Colorimeter, such a mated unit will more accurately measure the white point of this wide gamut display. If you have an existing and supported instrument, it will still work, you’ll likely have to alter the desired WP a tad (which is often necessary anyway). The software allows you a great deal of control over picking a specific WP (fixed values in CCT Kelvin, Standard Illuminants or by entering any CCT value). You can even measure a light source or another display you want to match with the colorimeter to enter a CCT value. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>What color space do you want to work in?</p>

<p>I am looking to purchase a monitor, decided against the U2211h and U2311h Dells, the 23" NEC, and the HP ZR24W. They only cover 72% NTSC (~100% sRGB).</p>

<p>I am looking for a monitor in this range, but with ~104% NTSC or more (100% AdobeRGB). It appears the cheapest and smallest monitors that have this extended color space is the U2410 Dell ($500 on sale). If anyone knows of a cheaper one, please let me know. $500 is a little much for me right now.</p>