Where did you buy your Leica? Was it new or used?

<p>I travel quite a bit, and recently I've come across Leicas in Dubai, Korea, USA, Canada, France, and Turkey. Prices in each place varied tremendously. Is there a country or even a dealer that is highly recommended for buying a Leica. I understand that Hong Kong should have a good selection and great prices. How about Singapore?</p>

<p>So where did you buy your Leica and was it new or used?</p>

<p>Bought my M4 new from a Leica rep aboard an aircraft carrier in the mediterranean; my SL2 and M8 used on Ebay. Somebody gave me a well used used R3. As for lenses and other gear gear it came from lots of places including other owners, old camera stores, estates, swap meets.</p>

<p>Approx. 40 used Leicas (about 25 M's and 15 R's), between 1972 and 2000. All were free because I sold them for equal or more than I paid. I finally purchased new after 2000 - a Hammertone MP which I later sold (too many manufacturing shortcuts)....and an LHSA black paint M6 TTL - which I'll keep forever...I love this camera! Oh...and to answer your question - all purchased in the U.S.A. About half dealer, half private.</p>

<p>The best used Leicas are in Japan, I think. They are well look after ad well serviced generally. I've had good luck with Tamarkin. I bought my M8 new at Obayashi Camera in Osaka. While used film cameras are a good gamble, I believe one much be extra careful with used digital cameras. Too many little things, like a scratched sensor can make a digital camera worthless as sold.</p>

<p>The best used Leicas are in Japan, I think. They are well look after ad well serviced generally. I've had good luck with Tamarkin. I bought my M8 new at Obayashi Camera in Osaka. While used film cameras are a good gamble, I believe one much be extra careful with used digital cameras. Too many little things, like a scratched sensor can make a digital camera worthless as sold.</p>

<p>I've only purchased one new Leica which was a Leica M6 Titanium with matching 35mm lens. The rest of my Leicas have all been used (8 bodies and 14 lenses). </p>

<p>I'm always on the look-out for a bargain. If you watch eBay religiously for new Leica listings, you can sometimes get great, "Buy It Now", bargains before other people notice the listing.</p>

<p>Other sources for me are word-of-mouth and thrift stores. My most recent score was a Leica M3 with lens for $300!!! Gus Lazzari made it look new.</p>

<p>If you are watchful and patient, you will eventually find your own treasure.</p>

<p>I bought my two M6 TTLs and my R6.2 new from a local Leica dealer in Croydon, south of London. I bought the M lenses from the same dealer - the 35 mm ASPH Summilux, Noctilux, and 90 mm ASPH Summicron were new, the 50 mm Summicron was used. From the same dealer I bought the 50 mm Summicron R new and the 28 mm shift and 100 mm macro, both used. I bought a used 19mm and a used 80 mm from other dealers. I sold all but the 50 mm to fund the purchase of a new Canon 1D Mk ii. I have since bought a 24 mm and 90 mm Summilux from ffordes in Scotland. Last year I bought a Panasonic GF1 and a Leica M adapter so that I can use my Leica lenses on a digital camera (until I decide whether or not to get an M9). My main cameras are Canon (1Ds Mk iii and 1D Mk iii) with Canon lenses from 14 mm through to 500 mm. I really miss the 19 mm for my R6.2 but am doing much less with film. I would like to do more but the ease of digital and the instant results mean that the digital tends to get out more.<br>

Ian</p>

<p>I bought my used classic M6 from a local dealer in Cambridge. A beautiful camera which I still use. Some years later I bought a new M7 from the same dealer but I had problems with the shutter which required a couple of returns to Leica but which I felt was never reliable. I traded it with the same dealer for an M8. This was new and required a visit to Leica as did all early M8s. But, frankly, although it functions perfectly I don't think it's as good as a Canon 5D. I've bought lenses from Robert White and Ffordes in the UK and from some German shops over the net.</p>

<p>In the USA, the "best" place in my opinion is from one of the reputable online dealers. And when I say reputable, I simply mean that an item can be returned without any drama. Most offer a 15 day no hassle return policy. This allows you to be able to "shop" at home. Although you are out the return mailing costs. If it is a collectors item you seek, or just a shooter. it is nice to be able to run a test roll through before the ink dries on the deal.</p>

<p>I purchase most of my used cameras from Richard Caplan in the UK. Very competitive prices and top notch service. The only proviso is that tasty used items that appear on his website are sold very, very quickly - usually within fifteen minutes of being listed.</p>

<p>He can be found at:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.richardcaplan.co.uk">www.richardcaplan.co.uk</a></p>

<p>John</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hong Kong is probably the best, tax free everywhere and the shops on Hong kong island are very honest. <br>

I got my iiif from London, overall condition isn't that great. As i am not a collector so i don't really care as long as it makes great shots! And i got a great price for it haha.<br>

I am going to Hong Kong soon, gonna get a new lens. </p>

<p>I bought my new Leica RE, new Vario Elmar 28-70, used Macro ElmaritR60/2.8 , from Alt-Camera in Queen Street, Toronto.<br>

I bought my Leica R4, R5 from ebay, my Summicron 50/2, Elmarit R90/2.8, Summicron 90/2,<br>

Telyt 180/3.4, Telyt 400/6.8, Elmarit R 19/2.8 Summitar 50/2, Leica IIIc all used from ebay</p>

<p>My M3 and Leicaflex from Toronto Camera.<br>

My SL from Edmonton Photo<br>

My SL2(50yr) - M4 - R4s and M6(Panda) from Leo's Camera in Vancouver<br>

My My CL(50yr) from Dunne & Rundle, Vancouver<br>

My R3 from E.Leitz<br>

My R5 from Lens & Shutter, Vancouver. Sold it later, still in its sealed box!<br>

My R6 from Meister Leica, Germany<br>

My IIIA privately </p>

<p>All of my Leicas were bought used. Only way to buy overpriced equipment. But they all still work fine. And the oldest one is older than I am. It's a 1930 model i©. No RF, just a VF<br /> and an f3.5 50mmElmar, almost identical to the Elmar on my iiif</p>

I got my first Leica M6TTL used from Don Chatterton, who used to sell via phone or fax despite having a decent website as a kind of shop window. The second M6TTL came from Sandy in Collectible Cameras AZ (formerly Ritz Collectibles). My M3 came from a store in MN, National Camera and Video Exchange, and my latest ones, an M4-2 and an M5, were eBay lucky strikes.

Chatterton is no longer in business. He had a reputation for being extremely nice or extremely cranky. I guess he had a personality for each day of the week... Never had a problem with him, fortunately...

<p>The last <em>new</em> Leica I bought was an M6 in 1996 for $1800 in Gray Market from Jim Kuehl, who has long ago retired. I sold the M6 last year, and bought a secondhand M8 from KEH. I like how they grade their merchandises, it was an EX but looks to me like new. Also it was with 2 weeks to decide at no restocking fee, and 60 days warranty after. Currently Leica new prices is insane. </p>

<p>I bought my first Leica, a used iiiF at Central Camera in Chicago. Got my 2nd unit, a model i©, circa 1930, at a flea market. and my current last Leica I got, also used, as a remnant of the Beloit Corp. liquidation.</p>