Why are so many folks returning D7000 or Are they ? Is this normal with new cameras ?

vikas_kohli

<p>I ahve been using D90 for close to a year and was planning to upgrade (for low light ISO performance) to D300s. Then came D7000 and I took the plunge and bought D7000 and it arrived 10 days ago.</p>

<p>I am very pleased with D7000. Also did the focus test with 3 cereal boxes (I know not the most scientific..) and see middle box totally in nice sharp focus and pictures are coming great with D7000. have really had a chance to comapre pics taken side by side with d90 and d7000 yet.</p>

<p>However, I am a bit concerned when I goto various sites (dpreview... or Amazon discussions) that there are many people who have retuirned or are talking about returning D7000, as (according to their writings in forums) Nikon have accepted their query that there are focus issues with 'some' D7000 units, and these people are returning and waiting for next batch of 'good' D7000 to arrive. Can someone with contacts at Nikon shed some light please ? Are Nikon really working on fixing something on D7000 ? how do I know mine is not effected ? Is it normal for brand new units for new models to have issues ? Or is it just counter-offensive propaganda from competitors to discredit Nikon ? I really feel that the noise surrounding this issue is effecting many buyers' decision and is casting doubts about what really is going on...</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I don't have a D7000 but the four bodies I have had or currently have all work well. Nikon has had some problems in the past but they seem to fix them well enough from what I have read. If you are happy with the results of the D7000 then I would not worry, I did consider it but it is a bit to heavy for a hiking body for me as is the D700. If it has a problem down the road send it in for warranty or a paid repair.</p>

<p>I think 2 effects... one is the camera is new, a lot of people jump on it, encounter things they do not understand or know about, and blame the camera (easy, because it is new). In short,they did not take the time to learn how to use the tool.<br>

Second, it is a new product selling fast. So, a lot of sales out also means there are quite some returns - a percentage of new products can and will show defects.</p>

<p>Internet buzz easily created, and so suddenly people tell that Nikon said A or B and there is an issue... Sometimes it's true, many times it's complete bogus.</p>

<p>How can you know yours is good? Well, you are using it and it shows no problem. I'd say it's good.</p>

<p>I've used and loved Nikon since my first SLR, a Nikkormat, but I must say Nikon has a long history of pushing products into production before they are bug free. I've seen this over and over which is why I always wait a year to purchase a new Nikon. Or course in the digital age the D7000 will be obsolete in a year.</p>

<p>Alan - thanks for TomHogan link.. this is exactly what I was looking for too.<br>

Carl / Wouter - I am with you. I am pretty confidant that I have a good D7000 in my hand, but just a bit concerned thinking what if nikon throws out a new D7000s within few months. I know it's pure paranoia, but the cacophony about the purpoted issues is too loud. Maybe I should just stopped reading the interwebs ;)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Just remember: very few people get online and say, "my new product does just what I expected it to do." If everyone for whom that was true did so, it would completely drown out the people who like to complain about everything, or who are fixated on something they don't actually understand, and like to echo what they heard someone else say. This pattern repeats itself over and over again, on all sorts of products/topics.</p>

<p>I'm not returning my D7000. One thing I can tell you is that I returned a D300 a couple of years ago, because of tendinitis in my hands. The D300 was heavier than any other camera body I had ever hand-held, and it took a few days of shooting before my tendons really got inflamed. There was nothing wrong with the camera, just not for me at that time. I suspect that many returns of the D7000 are like that, made for idiosyncratic reasons, especially since there were so few available that many people weren't able to hold one in their hands before ordering.</p>

<p>My new product does just what I expected it to do. Really.<br>

These days I tend to grab my G9 for anything other than paid gigs. For wedding work my D200 was generally ok and the D80 was usable, but the metering is psychotic for most ambient light light. Really needed some new tech, so when the D7000 came out and Hogan gave it the thumbs up I got one.<br>

I haven't shot any gigs with it yet, but it seems to a winner. I don't know how fast the AF is in low light, but it is dead accurate; probably the most accurate out of the box of the 6 AF Nikon bodies I've had. The metering is vastly better than the D80 and it looks like I'll be able to trust it. (Active D lighting, set to Auto, will tend to knock the base exposure down a bit when there's a very bright area in part of the frame, so it will help with JPGs or RAW.) When I look at identical RAW shots taken with the D80 & D7000 @ ISO 1600 & 3200, in LR with all NR turned off, the D7000 is about a stop better with the amount of noise, but because of the much smaller pitch of the sensor the noise is finer grained also. Basically it's probably 2 stops better than my old bodies.<br>

After I have more experience shooting it under a larger range of conditions I'll know how good it really is, but right now I'm pleased.</p>

<p>I too have a D7000 and it is perfect. Believe me I checked. I am no expert, but this is what I have seen. First let me say this. I have been saying this for years. ''All'' companies will have problems. It is in the way they handle those problems that will separates them from the rest. This is one of the reasons I bought into Nikon.</p>

<p>What i have learned is that the ''first'' units always seem to be the best. I have found this to be true of Pentax and even Nikon. This is why I have always (when I can afford it) bought the day it came out or pre ordered. Then it seems that the next run, does have some glitches that happen when rushing stuff through to try and meet production. Then by the time the 3rd or 4th run is going, all is well on planet earth. Atleast this is what I have seen. I really want a K-5 to use with all my small DA primes and Ltds, but I will wait until summer time or maybe even a year to be sure the bugs are out. Even then I will buy it from a high volume dealer like B$H to be sure I get a newer one.</p>

<p>Kikas,<br /> Nothing wrong with using a serial box. I use 3 AA batteries and roughly 45deg and do the same. I have with all my Pentax DSLR's adjusted the camera for focus to meet my needs. I actually prefer a hair of front focus and have my street shooting K20D set up this way. I have yet to adjust anything on my D300S, D700 and the D7000. They are perfect.</p>

<p>But seriously, if your happy with it, enjoy it and get that nonsense out of your head. I believe it is called a reverse placebo effect :-) Don't get it in your head there is something wrong when there is not. If your happy, that is what matters. I am off to work!</p>

<p>Matt,<br>

"My D7000 does exactly what I expected it to do." and a lot more! My upgrade from the D70 is a "no-brainer" as well - and I am completely happy with mine. It will be a long time before I use all of its capabilities - and I consider it a good value for the money. I read all the early reviews, and had some concerns like others have had. They had no effect on my satisfaction. Thanks for the link to Thom. It confirmed what I suspected all along. <br>

Jack</p>

<p>Before the internet all cameras performed flawlessly, there was never any back- or front-focus, over exposure or any of the other modern ills. All we hear about are the squeaky wheels (as Matt attests) and those too lazy (or dumb) to read and follow the manual.</p>

<p>Nick - that was awesome... "Before the internet all cameras performed flawlessly, there was never any back- or front-focus, over exposure or any of the other modern ills."<br>

<br />Everyone else - thanks... it concurs with what I see on my camera also that it is perfect. I am really in love with it.. will make sure reverse placebo does not drown my head.</p>

<p>BTW - I am in the process of coming up with name for my work / website(in future)... but guess what all the names I ahve come up with have been taken by fellow photographers.. Do we all think alike :)</p>

<p>Cheers...</p>

<p>Kikas, we don't all think alike. I just started a photo club, and after a few hours online I couldn't find a single group with a similar name. I'd tell you what it is, but I don't want you stealing it before the paperwork has gone through ;)</p>

<p>The only issue I've found with the D7000 is the previously mentioned hot pixels. Flawless otherwise.</p>

<p>I sell cameras part time. I know the D7000 pretty well. It' s a great camera and a very nice upgrade to the D90. As for returns and issues. I have seen 1 return since the camera arrived that had anything to do with performance issues. The flash would not pop up. (An issue I've seen on Canon and Nikon - but hardly a problem - just a rare issue that Ive seen a few times) I fully expect a few to come back but that's normal with all SLR's. <br>

<br />I have though seen several people come back with the camera after reading stories on the internet. All of a sudden the buyer is convinced his camera is doing the same thing. We'll look at the camera and not once have I been able to get the camera to do any of the things people have brought up ( front or back focusing) nor have I yet to see a hot pixel...... The customer then leaves feeling uneasy because of paranoia created on some forums. We've probably sold 50 of those D7000s' and with out a doubt there are no more issues with that camera then I've seen with any other SLR that has been released over the past few years. <br>

I seriously wonder if "nikon" haters or Canon "lovers" aren't just trying to stir something up? </p>

<p>I know one thing.... if and when Nikon comes out with an upgrade to the D300s that uses the D7000's sensor I'm buying that camera in a heart beat. The low light performance is superb. It's fast. And with a little tweaking the images are perfect. (I've tweaked every digital SLR I've ever owned...I didn't expect any different with the D7000 or any camera that follows) Manufactures default these things to look as bright and contrasty as possible on the show room floor. They want to catch the eye of the average consumer who really doesn't know much about photography but wants to take great pics of their kids and their vacations. People look at that D7000 LCD and they are blown away when they compare it to their old rebel. </p>

<p>@Nick Oh come on. There were problems with film cameras well before the internet became as popular as it is now. Instead of bias coming from whatever forum you're frequenting, it would come from the magazine you're reading or the shop you buy your gear from… or the lab that processed your film.</p>

<p>@Chad Ehhhh… nothing's perfect and yeah, Nikon's had some well documented problems recently. The focus problems with the 24/1.4G come to mind. Some people are also more accepting of imperfections than others. I bitched and moaned quite a bit about the focusing problems with a Sigma lens I bought. If I had been less demanding of brand new equipment, I probably wouldn't have done the pixel peeing and simply assumed that with a fast, bargain brand lens soft focusing was par for the course. Especially when you're talking about something that can be hard to reproduce like focusing problems, I'd be a lot more hesitant to write off the customer's problems. Something that's typically pretty easy to reproduce like stuck pixels is a different matter…</p>

<p>Kikas, yes, I do think you are being maybe a little paranoid:) Typically when Nikon has had some sample variation in their lines, they work them out in pretty reasonable time though it is a drag for those that have to deal with it a bad sample. They won't discontinue the product that just came out.</p>