Epson V750 for 35mm Negatives?

<p>I recently acquired an Epson V750. The scans I get from MF and LF negatives are great so I decided to try it with 35mm film. The scans look good on their own but when I compare to my lowly Minolta Scan Dual IV, it's clear that the Minolta scanner, despite it's having half the resolution, resolves much more detail. I did A:B testing using the same software (VueScan), same settings, and the same negatives, that clearly shows the difference. I know the Epson scanner is working fine as the MF and LF scans demonstrate but I'm wondering if this relatively poor performance when scanning 35mm negatives is common with this scanner?</p>

<p>"despite it's having half the resolution, resolves much more detail."</p>

<p>Actually if you are going by the manufacturers stated resolution you are setting yourself for a long frustrating experience. Manufacturers of Flat Bed scanners often inflate the resolution to the point where the numbers are absolutely meaningless. For example Epson claims that the V750 has a wopping resolution of 6400, but actually after careful testing by professionals, the "true" resolutionwas found to be less than 2400. That does not mean this scanner cannot scan at 6400. What it means is that to get those high numbers, the size of the scan would be tremendous(mostly filled with worthless information) and the time to scan a simple 35mm frame would be totally unacceptable. Downsizing the scan for useful purposes such as printing an 8X10, would only bring it back to the "true" resolution, which is less than the stated 2400. A resolution of 2400 is about average for so-so(non-professional) dedicated film scanners.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>... working fine as the MF and LF scans demonstrate but I'm wondering if this relatively poor performance when scanning 35mm negatives is common</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The problem isn't with 135 format film. The problem is that the flatbed manufacturers are "creative" in stated resolution numbers. I bet that you can clearly discern film grain from the Minolta scan, but won't be able to from the flatbed regardless of film format.</p>

<p>My personal experience is that consumer flatbeds are good for 4X, maybe 5X enlargements. This easily gives excellent 8x10 prints from 6x7 film. The same goes for 6x9 prints from 135.</p>

<p>As indicated, whilst sagging negatives will prevent you from achieving the full potential of the scanner, the basic performance of this and other flatbeds means that even if you correct the film flatness issue, getting scans good enough to make big prints from a 35mm original is unlikely. With my V700 and MF film, I'm happy with enlargement to 12" square ( equivalent to about 7" x 5" for 35mm) , for any screen-based application, Blurb book pages etc. but beyond that I want a better scan which also will dig out more shadow detail. </p>

<p>I own and use a flatbed scanner for scanning my negatives... but it's with the understanding that it's only for computer display (web-sized really). It's not going to match the Minolta film scanner I once had, even though the flatbed is a newer model. I have no intention or even just hopes of using these flatbed scans to subsequently make darkroom-sized prints... but then, I don't have to, since I do have the negative for those photographs I decide are suitable for real printing.</p>