Camera for uncivilized conditions

<p>This summer I will be spending two weeks rafting the Colorado River. My current camera, a Panasonic, uses rechargeable batteries. They work great, as long as I am near an outlet to recharge. I will take my Panasonic and Rollei on the trip, too, but would like to get another digital.<br>

What camera/s would you recommend that have the following criteria?<br>

1. Battery operated (not rechargeable). This is absolute.<br>

2. A reasonable optical zoom.<br>

3. A reasonable quality – a step above the “party cameras” that my kids have.<br>

4. Smallish size. My bigger cameras and equipment will be packed for the days’ runs in dry bags, so I want a camera that is easy and convenient to use on the river between camps.<br>

5. SD card storage. This is not a deal-breaker, but I already have a bunch of them around.</p>

<p>6. And, of course, I want one what will magically make wonderful images every time I push the button. ;-)<br>

I guess what I am asking for is your recommendations for a good battery camera, and your insights into the sort of compromises that such a camera will present.</p>

<p>Thank you, in advance, for your helpful suggestions.<br>

Happy New Year.<br>

Eric</p>

"Battery operated (not rechargeable). This is absolute ... guess what I am asking for is your recommendations for a good battery camera" -- Eric M.

I wonder who supplied you with a digital camera that does not have a (main) battery ... Oh! Does your camera has a freakish large capacitor that it would not need a battery?

Are you asking for a camera which has user replaceable battery instead of the one having battery permanently confined inside?

<p>parv.<br>

My Panasonic camera uses a removable, rechargable battery that is charged using an adaptor that plugs into an outlet. I am seeking recommendations for a good quality camera that will run on AA or AAA size disposable batteries, since I will have no access to an electrical outlet to recharge the Panasonic batteries for over two weeks.<br>

Eric</p>

<p>Look at the Canon Powershot "A" series. I have a A650 which uses 4 AA batteries.<br>

Check dpreview's website for latest listings. No ideal cameras for us. Don't believe any of the waterproof cameras use AA batteries so the selection is limited.<br>

If you do go the AA route be sure to use lithium batteries.</p>

<p>Ricoh GX100 or 200 is very compact and can use its own rechargeable battery or 2 AAA batteries.<br>

You get a lot more images from the Ricoh battery but its nice to have the AAA option as a back up.</p>

<p>Ricoh also have the more rugged G600, designed for this sort of trip, which has the same battery options.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.ricoh.com/r_dc/g/g600/index.html">http://www.ricoh.com/r_dc/g/g600/index.html</a></p>

<p>Look at the Canon Powershot "A" series. I have a A650 which uses 4 AA batteries.<br>

Check dpreview's website for latest listings. No ideal cameras for us. Don't believe any of the waterproof cameras use AA batteries so the selection is limited.<br>

If you do go the AA route be sure to use lithium batteries.</p>

<p>Yep. I have and still use an old Canon A720IS. One reason is that it takes two AA batteries. The key here is to use the Energizer disposable lithiums. These will provide enough juice to fill at least 16GB worth of videos (or God knows how many thousands of stills.)</p>

<p>Another thing to keep in mind is that disposable lithiums have superb cold temperature performance. If you're really paranoid, keep a fresh pair on your person to keep them warm and guaranteed available.</p>

<p>Robert:<br>

"Another thing to keep in mind is that disposable lithiums have superb cold temperature performance."<br>

The average temperature at the bottom of the canyon in July is 106-110 degrees F in July, so I think that I will worry about being too cold for another trip... ;-)</p>

<p>How about an underwater 9mp camera to 150ft.. 36-108 optical zoom equivalent with video and it runs on AA batteries. <br />I just did a quick search on BHPHoto and came up with this one. I know nothing about the camera but it would seem to meet your requirements.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/724847-REG/Epoque_EHD_900AI_EHD_900Ai_UW_Digital_Camera.html#Specification">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/724847-REG/Epoque_EHD_900AI_EHD_900Ai_UW_Digital_Camera.html#Specification</a></p>

<p>I have the Canon Powershot A650 IS and it takes great pictures. You may have trouble finding one. B&H say it is no longer available. If you can find one there is an underwater housing available. I have been able to make enlargements up to 20x30. It has manual focus and macro capability. I think I would take along a good supply of charged up rechargeable batteries as they work well in the camera. It is easy on batteries though. I found one on ebay but they are asking over $800 for it. The Canon G-12 has a removable rechargable battery and is quite a nice camera. </p>

<p>Here is my suggestion:</p>

<p>a Canon PowerShot D10 Digital Camera</p>

<p>The downside: it takes a Canon - NB-6L Lithium-Ion Battery (3.7v, 1000mAh)</p>

<p>http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/605229-REG/Canon_3508B001_PowerShot_D10_Digital_Camera.html<br /><br /></p>

<p>If you took two batteries (one spare,) you would have a water-dirt proof digital camera without a housing to deal with.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Bottom line, you can have a camera that is weatherproof or a camera that runs on AA batteries, but not both. Which one is more important? I think the suggestion of a solar battery charger is a good one. I've also seen battery chargers that use a hand crank for power. A nice bonus is that they can charge just about anything -- camera, cell phone, iPod, etc.</p>

<p>I would bite the bullet and buy spare batteries, recharge at Phantom ranch, and go with a Pentax Optio W90. Plenty of zoom reach, dustproof, waterproof, 12 meg sensor and under $200. Why does it matter whether you carry a bag of AAs or 3-4 camera specific batteries? If you can afford the trip you can afford spare batteries.</p>

<p>One of the most compelling things I've read about the Pentax W90 is that it has very little shutter/autofocus lag -- Imaging Resource used the words impressive, very fast, and exceptional, to describe the W90's shutter/autofocus times. For a rugged weatherproof P&S, it appears to be one of the best on the market at this point in time. The Panasonic TS2 also looks quite good, based on everything I've seen/read about it. If I was shopping for a rugged weatherproof P&S, I'd be trying to choose between those two.</p>

<p>I made that trip through the Canyon in July 1988 with Grand Canyon Expeditions http://www.gcex.com/.<br /> It is a great experience. I took along disposable film cameras and was glad I did. Two of my fellow travelers ruined SLRs with water.<br /> If I was to make that trip this year I'd take my Canon Elph, a couple extra batteries and SD cards. Keep it all in a pocket-able ziplock bag. Edit the images during down time to save space if needed.<br /> Don't waste your vacation time messing with a bunch of equipment.</p>