Digital "Darkroom" ?

bobbyc

<p>Why is it called Digital Darkroom ? There is no darkroom. Computers are used in lighted rooms. This stupid phrase is a misnomer. Why can't the powers to be ( Digital photography manufacturers ) come up with another term ? Annoying like hell !</p>

<p>I actually have a Digital Darkroom. I wanted to maintain an even lighting coupled with a calibrated monitor. I also have taken several steps to have a very quiet computer. It gives much the same feeling as working in a film darkroom. The main difference is that I sit instead of stand.</p>

<p>That will be my next project.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I was going to start a topic thread on this since it kind of dovetails into this discussion, but my question is what and how much is expected of a photographer to know in the digital post processing darkroom compared to doing it "right" in front of the camera with proper lighting, metering and equipment.</p>

<p>From all the threads discussing how to fix screwed up shots in post with all the amount of equipment they used, I'ld say it's hard to determine. Some don't know how to look at an image and know that it's going to take more than just adjusting the exposure and color temp slider.</p>

<p>I have to rely on post to fix a lot of my screw ups mainly because I can't afford a lot of the equipment (lighting) others use, but I don't see having equipment is the problem because no one can nail it all the time. I notice that it takes knowing where the screw up is in the image to correct for it in post.</p>

<p>Lights do some funky things to images I just don't understand.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Why is it called Digital Darkroom ? There is no darkroom. Computers are used in lighted rooms. This stupid phrase is a misnomer.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Photography is full of "beautiful" terms like that if you want to complain. What is an F-stop, does it stop you from doing something? Why do you say your lens is fast if it doesn't move, why don't you call it a bright lens? Why is your camera full frame? isn't that double frame? The full frame should be the half-frame, right? What are shutter speeds 15, 30, 60, 125? aren't they supposed to be 16, 32, 64, 128? AND what are those shutter speeds anyway? The shutter of a camera usually moves at only one speed, what is different is the exposure time which is affected by the delay of the second curtain, NOT by making the curtain moves slower or faster</p>

<p>In fact, my computers are in a room that is pretty dark, so to compare with other rooms, it's logical to call it the dark room. Notice that "Darkroom" is ONE word, not two, similar to Restroom, Bathroom, Toilet, Washroom, WC, ... (why don't you call it the pee room because that's what people do in there, the most). Darkroom is actually a very good term which is short and almost describes everything about it. The reason you feel it wrong is because you have had no connection (by personal experience) to the original meaning of the word.</p>

<p>The "annoying" term to me would be the term "digital film". The sensor is more appropriate to be the "digital" film, not the memory card</p>

<p>It's just a photo forum term, really. It's not like there's a United Nations of photography that ruled on it. Call it whatever you want. More upsetting to me is that people refer to their raw files as digital negatives. The "digital darkroom" is nothing like the real one by any stretch of the imagination. Doing digital image editing is really child's play compared to the practice and skill needed for high-quality real darkroom work, and a "digital negative" is nothing like a real negative. If it was, no more people would be doing it than when it was a real darkroom. But, I'm not going to get too worked up about it.</p>

<p>the digital darkroom is to the digital era what was the *traditional* darkroom was to *traditional film photography*</p>

<p>for me, i dont use it to save my a** or to make a bad shoot a good one.. neither when i was soothing film did i badly shoot so i can save the frame later in the darkroom... why do people keep thinking that way? i know its a general idea that Photoshop can do miracle and make a bad image a good one.. but the truth is a bad image is a bad image. .. but it is in fact i think easier to save the day today than before where you seriously need a lot of competence before pressing the button, and after in the darkroom to get a amazing print.. consistently.</p>

<p>For me its a whole package; 33% of framing / defining the moment, 33% understanding your camera and your gear, 33% of post using the tool available such as a computer and photoshop / lightroom to do almost the same thing i was doing 30 years ago in my bathroom.. finalizing the process and creating the mood / the message.... and 1% of luck / accident to make your image go the extra miles ; )</p>

<p>Why do whe call it digital darkroom? i think it was a international consensus accepted across the globe without anyone really taking the ownership of the word... like whe call the *old* darkroom, the traditional darkroom... i think it is use to make it clear to the other person that whe are talking about doing it with a computer vs with chemicals...like whe need to define a print by is process; is this a RA4 print or inkjet one?</p>

<p>I like it personally..make me feel nostalgic of the *old* time ; )</p>

<p> </p>

<p> I use the digits of my hands to load film, set up and focus my film cameras, click the shutter, unload my film, develop my negs, print my negs in the darkroom, work on my prints ( real, not virtual). I guess I can call myself a digital photographer. And when I do a photoshoot of someone and they ask for a cd of their pics, I can show them my middle digit.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>It's Christmas Eve and Bobby and frank are dissing a term that I find quite charming. Couldn't you guys have waited until after the holidays?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Tim,</p>

<p>Having The Grinch and Scrooge make the rest of us appreciate the holidays eve more. ;^)</p>