Intentional overprocessing....

<p>Hey guys</p>

<p>I have one roll of film where I think it might be interesting to push the contrast. I am thinking of references such as Mario Giacomelli who had some very stark images, some completely lacking any midtones.</p>

<p>I had shot Neopan 100 and will be developing with Tmax developer. I am wondering roughly how much additional time would be needed to come close to that look. These photos are not particularly important and I am happy to experiment with this roll with the possibility of unpredictable results.</p>

<p>Looking forward to your responses.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Increasing the time will increase the contrast up to a point. It will also increase the grain. If you can cut the roll somewhere in the middle you could experiment. time + 50%, time + 100%, etc., and see if that produces the results you want. You might consider processing the film normally and then use a high contrast grade/filter if you print in the darkroom, or levels/curves adjustments in PS.</p>

<p>I'm with Gary. Paper contrast is much easier to manipulate, and it leaves your negatives intact. <br>

If, for your own reasons, you want to increase the contrast of your negatives, it's simply a matter of increasing development. You can increase development by using a more concentrated developer solution, a higher processing temperature, extended development time, and to a lesser degree, increased agitation, or some combination of the above. Increasing development will also increase shadow detail a little, but not much. How much to increase development is a matter of experimentation, as Gary suggests. </p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>Guy and Jay are right on. I do believe though, that you need both somewhat overdeveloped film *and* the right kind of paper for the task (either high-class variable contrast paper like Ilford or Adox/Agfa MCP or fixed grade 4 or 5 paper). </p>

<p>I just pushed TMY-2 to 1600 in Xtol (1+1) and even at grade 5 (on Ilford MG) there were much more midtones remaining than in those classic Giacomelli chiaro-scuro-prints (I hope my Italian spelling isn't too far off!).</p>

<p>Developing at 24°C, adding 50% to the listed time for 24°C, and one inversion every 30s should do, I think. <br>

Another thought: can your enlarger filter 'hard' enough to get VC papers to their grade 5?</p>

<p>Good luck and much fun, cheers, Pete</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses guys.</p>

<p>This all makes sense, I will try a combination of high concentration and extra developing time. I understand the added flexibility of trying to achieve this in the printing stage, I guess I would still like to experiment at this point to begin to explore the limits and capabilities of film.</p>

<p>I would be curious to know how much Giacomelli achieved in the developing stage, or whether most of it was done in the print? I remember reading somewhere that he overexposed and overdeveloped his negs.</p>

<p>I have a Besseler 4x5 dichroic head enlarger, so would have to see whether it can push multigrade paper that far.</p>

<p>PS. Also realized that I have some Rodinal and DDX left. Would highly concentrated Rodinal produce interesting results here?</p>

<p>Cheers</p>