Contax AX not working

<p>The one major thing I can think of is the dreaded mirror slipping problem. If you unmount the lens and release the shutter again, does it return? If it does then you need to send the camera in for service because the mirror is slipping out of place. Apparently this is a common problem with most Contax cameras.</p>

<p>The mirror slipping problem is so big that pretty much everyone in Japan that uses Contax SLRs knows about it. It is also a selling point in the used gear over here when a camera is known to have it fixed by the factory or is free from it.<br>

I thought it could be the battery at first but I assumed the OP to have already tried a new one.</p>

• 4 months later...

<p>I have 2 Contax cameras, the 167 and the AX. I was considering going for another Contax, the RX or the ST, when I heard/read about this problem 2 days ago. Is it a serious and common fault as stated above? It has now put my plans back 'on the shelf'.<br>

Two different points of view from Chuk and Terry. It is a pity that Emmanuel B has not returned to let us know what the problem was, and how did he get it fixed.<br>

Anyone else out there with views on this matter ?</p>

<p>It is a pity, sure.<br>

The body is being repaired, or at least I wait evaluation for the cost.<br>

Th guy at first sight thinks the mirror is out of its normal place, and saw also that coupling ring is badly working .He told me it is very common to these bodies.<br>

The seller told me that a good choice is to buy a simple Contax body even a Yashica body to use with my lenses.<br>

I just remembered I sold for nothing my 139MA.<br>

I let you aware.</p>

<p>Just been on another site this a.m. and found more references to this "mirror slip" problem. It does not seem endemic, but it looks as though it can occur frequently. I have been interested in Contax for a number of years, and always read anything connected with them, yet never saw any mention of this. Could never afford a new Contax, and eventually bought 2 used ones which were mint-. Problem free up until now, but it would be nice to know if someone could post details and the cost of such a repair.</p>

<p>I have just been on another site this morning, and it looks as though the 'mirror slip' goes back as far as the 137/139 models. One person posting owns virtually all the Contax slr models, and he has experienced it even with them, not just the later cameras. He has posted a remedy/repair, which sounds quite easy to do, but it is something which I would not attempt. If anyone is interested, if they send me a private message, I will forward details, etc.<br>

I believe that most photo sites do not want you publishing details of 'competitor' sites.</p>

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

<p>What a wonderful bargain these Contax cameras are. Especially the AX !<br>

Having engineered a camera that you can apply Pentax screwmount, Yashica or Carl Zeiss etc., and <strong>use them as Auto-Focus lenses</strong> is amazing !</p>

<p>The "mirror slip" issue is common <strong>to many cameras</strong>. Those with manufactures that used "double stick tape" to hold these mirrors in place. Unfortunately with age coming into play with this adhesive, the weight of the mirror in conjunction with gravity, allows for a position change of the mirror. To lessen the down-force:</p>

<ol>

<li>Store the camera with the mirror locked up <strong>or</strong></li>

<li>Store the camera upside down <strong>or</strong></li>

<li>To support & lock; apply a 1/2 drop of clear nail polish to the middle front edge of the mirror and it's base holder.</li>

</ol>

<p>Either use the mirror lock-up, or hold the shutter release button down on "Bulb" to best expose the bottom edge of the mirror and it's base.<br>

(Of course don't be sloppy, use caution as you apply the half drop)</p>