100mm slot-in large enough for 17-40 f/4L?

gregcoad

<p>I have been using a Cokin P holder with a set of Hitech 85mm filters for some time now but get some vignetting at the 24mm end of my 24-70 f/2.8L (full frame body). I have just been "dealing" with it so far, but soon plan on adding the 17-40 f/4L to my kit.</p>

<p>Will the 100mm filters be large enough? I plan on using the Lee wide angle holder and adapter system. I would be like to be able to use Lee's bellows with the set up from time to time as well. I assume that I will need the WA bellows as well? Maybe the bellows are a waste of time and money though? I want to get into long exposure stuff using the 10 stopper and figured bellows would be more critical for that sort of stuff.</p>

<p>I am hoping that I am not going to need the 150mm filters since they seem to be pretty limited in what's available unless you are willing to pay crazy money, which I am not.</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>On a crop body, the Cokin P size (85mm) filters and holders will be fine on just about any lens. On the EF-S 10-22 you will start to have problems at around 12mm and wider.</p>

<p>I have received my Lee Foundation Kit and 100mm Hitech filter kit so just an update for anyone who might be considering the same set up.</p>

<p>The Lee Foundation kit with standard adapter ring produces no vignetting on my full frame 1Ds with 24-70 f/2.8L when used with 2 slots. When a third slot is added, the holder starts to show up in the corners. I suspect that on the 17-40 f/4L the corners of the holder will show up with even 1 slot. Keep in mind that in both cases, I have mounted the adapter ring and holder on my very slim circular polarizer. Even with the polarizer removed, on the 17-40, I have a feeling that the corners will be dark and the wide angle adapter ring will be necessary.</p>

<p>I have experimented with the wide angle adapter ring at a local camera shop and it is important to note, for anyone considering that as an option, that with the wide angle adapter ring, it is pretty much impossible to mount it to a circular polarizer as the wide angle ring will make the front ring of the CPL impossible to grasp which would make it pretty hard, if not impossible to get the adapter ring off as the CPL will just rotate with the ring.</p>

<p>So the wide angle adapter ring would have to be used in conjuction with the Lee holder system 105mm front ring and a 105mm CPL if a CPL is imperative. </p>