Seeking Coolpix 8400 Shutter Activations

g._v.

<p>I have a CP8400 that has seen little use since I bought it around four years ago. Unfortunately, I have been unable to determine how many shutter activations it has.<br>

I have tried CS3, EXIF Viewer and Jeffrey's EXIF Viewer (I use Macs...) I am beginning to suspect that the CP8400 does not track shutter activations, but heck if I can find any info online...<br>

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the CP8400 and shutter activations?</p>

<p>They all have shutters, Eric. They're hybrid leaf-shutters. All you have to do to see it is look down the lens barrel and have the camera take a picture. A bright light helps.</p>

<p>GV,<br>

If it's even tracked the only way you're going to know if you ship it to Nikon and have them dig out the info. It'll cost you.</p>

<p>OK, here's what I see ...<br>

Using Opanda PowerExif 1.2 Pro with Vista ... I see NO shutter count for my Coolpix 8700 (similar to your case, but even a bit newer). It clearly shows that data for my daughter's Nikon D100 and my D200. {It is listed as item '00A5' and again as 'total number of shutter actuations'.}</p>

<p>The 8700 clearly preserved a lot less exif data than the newer cameras do.</p>

<p>Jim</p>

<p>Rob Bernhard:</p>

<p><em>"They all have shutters, Eric. They're hybrid leaf-shutters. All you have to do to see it is look down the lens barrel and have the camera take a picture. A bright light helps."</em></p>

<p>I thought I was seeing aperture blades. I found a Wikipedia article that described P&S digital cameras having both still & video as likely using an electronic shutter system.</p>

<p>You could try uploading a picture to Flickr (you have to sign up for a free account if you don't already have one) and then viewing the EXIF data. That's how I unintentionally discovered my D50 had over 54,000 acutations. Just be sure not to strip the EXIF data from the file in post processing.</p>