Canon 7D Soft Images (JPEG)

gunjankv

<p>Hi<br>

Upgraded from XTi to 7D. I used to shoot JPEG only most of the time. I am not a professional and do not have huge time and liberty to shoot in RAW and later convert to JPEG.<br>

I realized that JPEGs coming out of 7D were soft all across when shot in "L", i.e. 18 MP setting.<br>

FYI - I would use EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 lens on this.</p>

<p>Questions:<br>

1. What best I can do to achieve optimum JPEG image quality out of 7D?<br>

2. Are there any particular/magic setting that would give best image quality?<br>

3. How can I match quality of 7D JPEG which is 18 mpixel with XTi JPEG which is 10 mpixel?</p>

<p>Thank you for providing your inputs.<br>

Gunjan</p>

<p>It might be your custom settings as Bueh mentioned above. If you still have your old camera, see what mode it was set in and then maybe compare the mode you are set on with the 7D. Digital images generally need some sharpening to pull them together a bit.</p>

<p>You should also consider how you are shooting. Are you selecting the focal point or letting the camera do it per the scene. This latter way, the automatic selection, generally delivers images with less consistency as to sharpness.</p>

<p>Finally, consider that your files from the 7D are twice as big as those from the Xti (almost) and that because of this an image at 100% on the 7D will show more flaws of any given lens than one would see with the smaller file. To compare, make each image the same width in your editor--size an Xti image at 100dpi (no resampling) and then set the 7D image to what height or width that gives for your xti, again not resampling. Then with the magnifier selected (this is available in PS), select the "print size" option. Then you can compare on a more apples to apples basis. (I used 100dpi because that is close to what many modern displays use at 100% magnification)</p>

<p>the obvious solution would be tweaking the picture style to add more sharpness as suggested above.<br>

then, assuming you have done everything right, if you still think there's a problem, you should make sure you lens is focusing properly on the 7d. you might want to run some focus test and eventually perform some micro-adjustment.</p>

<p>If you've compared 18MP 7D files to 10MP XTi files at pixel level, 7D files will alway look softer. Why? 7D images at pixel are more magnified, i.e., show a much smaller section of the image. A fair comparison would be to frame the shot the same, using the same lens & tripod, and compare 13x19 prints. Because the 7D needs less "enlargement," it will look sharper than the XTi.</p>

<p>Of course maybe your lens needs MA. I can say my 7D images are sharp and are much sharper than my old XTi in large prints. In small prints or web sizes you can't see any difference.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>John, Paulo - Thanks for your detailed guidance. I would give them a try tonight<br>

Puppy Face - I got your point. And yes I am lover of your site, brave review and stunning images.. I do have seen them with mouth wide open in wonder</p>

<p>Quick reply with a few thoughts.</p>

<ol>

<li>Seeing a sample would help a great deal.</li>

<li>Among other things, this would help us understand if you actually have a "problem," or are just seeing normal softness when inspecting a 100% magnification 18MP cropped sensor original. (Someone alluded to this already above.)</li>

<li>I'm assuming that you have checked in-camera sharpening settings? And tried other values?</li>

<li>To determine if the problem is really a camera issue it helps a great deal to eliminate as many variables as possible when you test. Have you tried test on the tripod yet?</li>

</ol>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>What G Dan said, plus: If you are so concerned about sharpness then shoot Raw and everything is at your disposal. Learn about image sharpening during the post-processing steps.</p>

<p>1. A better lens would help<br>

2. Faster shutter speeds help<br>

3. Accurate focus helps<br>

4. Adequate DOF helps<br>

5. MLU helps<br>

6. Tripods help</p>

<p>Technique! And post-processing skills.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone.. to answer few Qs<br>

1. I am comparing them on my laptop display, not at 100% view, but what fits screen (16" diagonal)<br>

2. I have tried using tripod and compared images. I would look out for an image and attach here as example.<br>

3. I generally use sharpness=3 and in some cases saturation +2 but these I have set in User modes, I have not overwritten existing picture style<br>

I agree with all of you.. its more of a learning on my side than the camera itself.</p>

<p>After all various experiments.. I concluded that following is the best working one..<br>

sharpness +4 and saturation +1 works best..<br>

I used 17-55 and images coming out of it are ready! Nothing more is required..<br>

Pretty happy with this combination..<br>

Thank you all for your inputs..</p>