Restoring an old Nikon F

User_4754088

<p>I found a very inexpensive Nikon F, that has obviously had some miles on it. I find I really enjoy shooting with it, but everything on the camera is a bit loose and maybe a tad "crunchy".<br /><br />Is there someone in the States who completely rebuilds these Nikon F bodies? Looking for someone who could "restore" the camera more so than just a CLA or adjustment. I'm fine with the patina of nicks and scratches, but would like to lose the rattles and sloppiness in some of the mechanics. This is a late Apollo body with a FTN finder that actually works. Would be nice to have it tightened up and smoothed out.<br /><br />Best,<br />-Tim</p>

<p>There were about 800,000 Nikon F cameras made, so, unless you're in love with this one, you might try just buying a better sample. I have one that works just fine, even without a CLA. I bought it for not much on eBay. With a CLA, it would probably be perfect. You could probably buy several for what a rebuild would cost.</p>

<p>I think marc is probably right, and you're best off finding a better one, especially since you can even get one without a working meter. And some things just won't be as tight as you might like. You'll never make an F wind like an F3, for example. The F is a big old machine made of brass and levers and ball bearings. But there are some things, like prism fit, back tightness, and just plain wear, that can be adjusted. </p>

<p>If it does not need exotic and unfindable parts, and if for some reason you just have to keep this one, you might contact Jim at Vermont Camera Works. He is a longstanding Nikon expert who can probably take an F apart in the dark.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks guys. I've had some dodgy luck with buying used cameras. Ones that looked good on paper or on the internet, that turned out to have serious and costly issues. This one works well and I like the look and feel of it, just want it tightened up. So I'd like to spend the money on this "bird in my hand" as opposed to taking my chances on a random (bird in the bush) camera.</p>

<p>I'll see about Jim at Vermont Camera Works. Thanks.</p>

<p>I have owned and used at least a half dozen Nikon F, still have and use an all original 1959 with "tick" 50 f2. These cameras have all been super reliable, never had any CLA or restoration done. They are truck like, somewhat noisy tho quieter than my f2 Nikon. They are all crunchy at the end of the advance stroke and is a born characteristic of the wind! Spend your money on film, processing and optics like I have done. </p>

<p>Just processed my first roll through the camera and am blown away by the accuracy of the FTN meter. All the exposures are spot on. I love it that a meter from 1968 can be so accurate. Hope it lasts.</p>

<p>Quick question, can I use a "B" screen from my old F2 with this F camera body, and will it make the FTN meter not accurate? The camera currently has the split image screen it in (I think it is the original screen).</p>

<p>Having shot professionally with Fs for many years, it is a truck of a camera. However, keeping the shutter calibrated was like changing the oil in my old Triumph -- every 500 miles! I must have owned dozens of them. I loved the cameras. I always had about a half dozen bodies in use because I always had one or two in the shop at any given time. I used them hard and put them up wet. I did wear them out, but by that time the bodies were dented and more brass than black.</p>

I sold my Ftn together with 35mm and 50mm f/2s and a 105 f/2.5 to a friend back in about 2002 or 2003 when I talked

myself unto reducing my equipment weight, number and bulk down to a nice, clean Leica M3 with f/2 Summicron. In

about 2006 my friend, after scanning far too many transparencies, committed his energies to a Nikon D40 and has

worked his way up through a very happy relationship with a D300 to his current D610. I made my transition to the DSLR

fraternity in 2008 with a D80 and now have a D750.

My friend would practically give the Ftn kit back to me (but might hold on that great 105 to use with his 610). I know that

the Ftn is in exceptionally clean and working condition as far as the mechnical elements go (shutter, etc), and I'm just a

little bit tempted to take him up on the offer, thinking it would be an indulgence but a bit of fun to do a bit of film shooting

from time to time. I have a good working Nikon V scanner, and I'd simply scan and add occasional Ftn images to my

Lightroom catalog.

I think, but am not sure, that there are no replacement batteries for the Ftn viewfinder/metering system. I think I could

probably obtain a decent F finder in the marketplace and pick up a decent Gossen or other competitive meter at a good

price, but I wonder if any reliable suppliers are in fact selling batteries for the Ftn finder/meter.

<p>I think if you search the web you'll still be able to find some resources for how to re-calibrate the FTN finder for modern batteries. It's become impossible now to find the silver oxide batteries in the large size that is a native fit, but you can still use smaller ones with an adapter ring. Because the contact is on the side in this finder, you must use a metal ring and not just an O-ring. I think you can still get alkaline batteries in the original size, and if you keep track of them they will work. Silver oxides have a slightly higher voltage than alkalines, and it's best if you can adjust the meter for just what batteries you'll use, but it's close enough if you get one or the other.</p>

<p>The Photomic finders are quite easy to readjust for modern batteries, including the battery check. I have done a couple, and the result was sufficiently accurate for slides. Even though there may be some variation at the far ends, if you readjust the meter so it matches a correct meter at a middling ISO and a middling exposure, it will work very well for just about everything. For mine, I set the camera up on a tripod, aimed it at a consistently off-white wall with consistent light, and compared it with a modern Minolta camera which has a dead-on meter. </p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I have 3 F cameras and an F2..all bought cheap....the meters weren't working, well, not till I put batteries in and I invested in those brass(?) collars you can buy to make a better fit for hearing aid batteries. The meters all work and the exposures are pretty good.<br>

What beautiful functional creations they are. Over 40 years old and still as good as new really, to my amateur eye and ear anyway.</p>