Canon 7D and 24-105 f/4 L lens

gunjankv

<p>Hi<br>

Most places would say 24mm is not too wide enough for crop sensor body. Lets assume its not a concern for someone..</p>

<p>With respect to image quality (color, contrast and sharpness)<br>

Is it safe to assume that if 24-105 is highly preferred lens for even 5D Mark II which is 21 MP camera, it ought to perform well on Canon 7D which is 18 MP?<br>

Or, are there any other aspects to consider..</p>

Great combo!

Check pixel-peeper for samples.

Review sites and users seem to agree.

And whether the range is to your liking is of course totally personal. (and remember, some of photo.net's greatests

shoot 500mm's for landscapes so maybe 105's too short…)

M.

<p>I have the 24-105 mounted on my 60D, and look forward to using it on my 5DII which will be arriving next week. On the 60D, it preforms well, 24 is wide, but not wide enough, as I also have a 10-22 to cover the truly wides. the 10-22 + 24-105 combo works well on crop bodies. Since the 60D and 7D share similar sensors, I'd say that you'd be pleased with the quality that the 24-105 can provide.</p>

<p>Since APS-C (how I dislike the term <em>crop</em>) cameras have smaller sensors, only the central part of the image thrown by a 35mm-sensor lens is used. Usually this is an advantage because very often the center of a lens image will be sharper, etc., than the edges (vignetting, distortions, etc.).<br>

In this case, Photozone.de ( http://www.photozone.de/all-tests ) <em>has</em> tested this lens on both a APS-C body and a 35mm body. Aside from the problem of the 1.6X factor making the lens less 'useful' at the short end, the expected benefits are there.</p>

<p>I used the 24-105 on my 7D for quite some time, but also got the 15-85 to use on it. It gives an equivalent focal length of 24-136 on the 7D, and it's a very nice lens. I now use the 24-105 on my 1v and will use it on the 5DIII whenever that comes out. Give the 15-85 a serious look and read some reviews on it. You'll be pleasantly surprised.</p>