Armature Lighting and camera stabilizer?

amberhunter

<p>I am a beginner with a Nikon Dslr camera, I am interested in setting up a small studio as a hobby spot for photographing my kids. Any suggestions on a simple but adequate lighting kit and a camera stabilizer. As far as the stabilizer goes I have a tripod but am looking for something more, I have seen the ceiling mounted ones, any suggestions on this?<br>

Thanks</p><div>00XjN2-304901584.jpg.5a2243532ff32983eb8559a86fe59d6f.jpg</div>

<p>As far as lighting goes, there is much to choose from. It would be better to give an idea of your planed budget. As a hobby you can start with a simple lighting set up for < $100 or so. And it can go as high as you can imagine.</p>

<p>BTW, Welcome to Photo.net. </p>

<p>Jason</p>

<p>Well basically I have a small home office about 40x30ft space and would like to use this as an in home studio and the tripod is effective in stabalizing for shots but takes up a good bit of floor space. And as far as budget of lighting <500 if possible.</p>

<p>Thanks for the fast response.</p>

<p>" I have a small home office about 40x30ft"<br>

40X30' is a whole lot of space for a home studio. Most of us are working with half that space. If you have tall ceilings 8+ feet that's even better, because then you can shoot small groups and full body shots. I would recomend Alien Bees to sart out with. They are relatively low in price, are reliable and their accessories wont break the bank. A two light(320WS) set-up seems within reach of your budget. As far as a camera stabilizer, your best bet would be a good sturdy tripod or monopod, considering the space you have to work with you should have no problems. </p>

<p>If you're concerned about the footprint of a tripod, you'll be disappointed when you figure out you'll need something to hold up lights/strobes and backgrounds as well...they usually use tripod-type legs as well. You could mount those things from the ceiling brackets, though, and maybe mount paper rolls or cloth backdrops with autopoles or wall-mount brackets...<a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Background-Supports/ci/1396/N/4294550758">have a look here</a>.</p>

<p>As for a camera stand, a ceiling mount wouldn't be very rigid, and you want rigidity when you shoot. If not a tripod, then consider a camera stand, <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Camera-Stands/ci/415/N/4294538423">like these</a>. You'll probably need to balance those things against your budget, though. Used equipment is an option, but in a 30' x 40' space, I'd use a tripod and light stands and not worry about the footprint. Don't forget to get a good, sturdy stepladder - you'll probably be needing one.</p>

<p>As for editing software, the 'gold standard' for basic editing and image management is Adobe Lightroom. For more involved editing, Adobe Photoshop is the benchmark software. I'd recommend getting Lightroom and Photoshop Elements. Elements is much less expensive than the full version of Photoshop, yet it's a very powerful tool for photographers. The full version of Photoshop has tons of features that most photographers will never use, and exceeds your lighting budget by itself.</p>

<p>There's nothing at all wrong with Alien Bees lights. Lots of folks here use them. Any of Paul C Buff's (AB's owner) products are good value, and their customer service is excellent. I use their Zeus series, and will probably be ordering some of their Einsteins soon.</p>

<p>Thanks for the thorough advice. I have been browsing at the adobe light room already so I defiantly think that’s what I am going to start with. I guess I just wanted to utilize as much space as possible, that’s why I have been concerned with the amount of space my tripod uses. I checked out the camera stands and I defiantly like them better, even though they seem to take up about the same room, they roll which would be more convenient.<br>

Thanks<br>

Amber</p>

<p>You can always collapse your tripod and tuck it away somewhere when not in use...same with your lights and backdrop stands. No need to leave them set up all the time if you don't want them taking up too much space. It does add some time before and after each shoot, but that's the trade off.</p>

<p>Adobe Lightroom is my program of choice. Just remember, its not just a photo editing software, it is also just as much a file management program. I do recommend the book by <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Lightroom-Digital-Photographers-Voices/dp/0321700910/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290562390&sr=8-1">Scott Kelby on Lightroom 3.</a></p>

<p>If you do go with Lightroom, then Photoshop Elements will be pointless. The real power of photoshop (the full version, not to be confused with elements which is a striped down version) is that it can work in layers (among many other powerful tools). Unless it has changed in the latest version, Photoshop Elements does not have layers. Because of that, Elements will offer you nothing over Lightroom. Also the workfow with lightroom is much smoother.</p>

<p>I have been using Lightroom since it was only a beta version.</p>

<p>Many tripods, such as the <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/479927-REG/Manfrotto_190XPROB_190XPROB_Pro_Aluminum_Tripod.html">Manfrotto 190xprob</a>, will allow different positions for the legs so you can make the footprint pretty small.</p>

<p>I also use Alien Bees and I think, that for the money, they are about as good as you can get. Their PLM systems is also very good. I have used the 64" silver and I have the 86" white on backorder.</p>

<p>Jason</p>

<blockquote>

<p> The real power of photoshop (the full version, not to be confused with elements which is a striped down version) is that it can work in layers (among many other powerful tools). Unless it has changed in the latest version, Photoshop Elements does not have layers.<br>

-Jason Hall</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This is my mistake. It had been a while since I tried Elements so my memory had failed me. Elements DOES have Layers, maybe always did. What is did lack, however, was layer masking. And that was a no-go for me. However, I have recently learned that the newest version of Elements does have masking. </p>

<p>Just wanted to correct that for folks in the future who may come across this thread.</p>

<p>Sorry for any confusion.</p>

<p>Jason</p>