how to shoot full body against wall NO shadow?

nicole_weingart

<p>I need to shoot a model against a white glossy painted wall WITHOUT shadow (or as little as possible) and without glare, reflection, hot spot on wall (again as little as possible.) <br /> <br />1 light solution IDEAL possible with 2 lights but no more than that<br>

(very little space, must be quick to set up)<br>

<br />would shooting with an only an octabank work? <br />or just a beauty dish above my head? <br />I can tell the look is not ring flash, so that won't work but it will be full body so I need something to cover her evenly <br /> <br />I am trying to mimic the photo lighting below: <br /> <br /><a href="http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m546/nicoleweingart/lighting/estorelighting.jpg">http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m54 … ghting.jpg</a></p>

<p>Thank you!</p>

<p>You're over thinking this! In the example to which you've linked, there very much <em>is</em> a shadow. It's a hard shadow, to the camera-left of the subject. The hard light source is coming from camera right. Quite possibly an on-camera flash, possibly even a pop-up flash that's very close to the lens axis. The shadow is to the left because the camera has been rotated clockwise, putting the flash to the right, ever so slightly. This could have been done with a point-and-shoot camera, for that matter.</p>

<p>Matt is right as usual. Note also the hotspots on her forehead and handbag for further clues about the light.</p>

<p>One of the tricks to hide that hard shadow line is that she's wearing black and the blacks have been crunched until there's absolutely no detail, so you can't perceive the shadow against the clothing. It's still obvious against the skin, however.</p>

<p>Nicole,<br>

There are two situations here. # 1. Glare or absence of glare on a glossy surface is governed by the angle of incidence = the angle of reflection. Example: If your light is pointed at the reflective surface at a 45 degree angle, the reflection will also be at 45 degrees not necessarily viewed by the camera, but you will get a shadow. # 2. The direction of the shadow is determined by the placement of the light relative to the subject. Example: Put the light as close to the axis of the lens. The shadow will fall directly behind the subject, but you might get glare. What I would do, is get a huge light source. Move the subject a foot or two away from the wall. Light from the side, 90 degrees with the light source as close as possible and put a silver reflector directly opposite the light source as close as possible. With a huge light source, you are lighting the subject and the background at the same time. For a light source, I would try stretching a white bed sheet and using two or three small portable lights for maximum light. Ken Marcus used to use this method quit a number of years ago with excellent results.<br>

Warmest regards,<br>

David R. Lewis </p>

<p>I would use a regular 3' to 5' softbox in front so you get good wrap around light and a hard strobe or umbrella to blow out the background. Basically use a more powerful strobe on the background to make it completely white. Seamless paper works best for this but you can also use white Muslim. The sample photo is not that interesting and the cloth behind the model looks cheap like a table cloth or curtain.</p>

<p>Thank you all for your responses!<br>

The model is against a white hotel wall, so there is no option of blowing out the background. I know that is impossible to get it without shadow at all, I am most concerned about getting any hot spot on the wall (it is glossy white) as I won't be doing any post on the images.<br>

Originally I was thinking of an octabank or large silver umbrella directly behind my head so that the hot spot would be center thus keeping it on the model and off the wall. Thing is, the space is small and budget as well.<br>

Or maybe just a large beauty dish right above my head (probably as high as model's upper torso and chest)?</p>

<p>My guess is that it's an almost point source light several yards away... perhaps a focusing Fresnel lens or a telephoto reflector. She is so close to the wall, and the light is so far away from her, that there is very little difference in her size and the size of her shadow. You'll need a big set... t </p><div>00Xmcx-307719584.jpg.0230cb2caa39565ece05bb15f5a31d74.jpg</div>