Canon vs Nikon

<p>The comparisons in Brook's links seem pretty decent. A Google™ of "Nikon vs. Canon" should reveal much, much more discussion--much heat, little light. To try to address the problem here in long and reasoned essays will be more of the same *much heat, little light*.<br /> The truth is that preference for one or the other marque (or even these two particular 35mm-sensor cameras) is largely a matter of what ethologists call "imprinting" -- whatever you start with will almost certainly be what you prefer. So go somewhere that you can actually get your hands on the two choices and see which seems best to you right off the bat.<br /> Canon people, for example, say that Nikons are unergonomic and have a steep learning curve.<br /> On the other hand, Nikon users, will say that Canons have a steep learning curve and are unergonomic.<br /> Pentax, Sony, etc. users will tell you not to limit your choice to these two overpriced lines.<br /> At any particular moment, one of the marques will be ahead in some new design feature or other. Six to eight months later, it will be the other way around. Look at the whole line and the lens lineup and prices and make your choice. The good news is that you won't go wrong either way.</p>

<p>written by an old Nikonista who is now a Canonite.</p>

<p>I was a NIkon film shooter (when I shot 35mm), I bought a Canon digital system because I wanted the MP and full frame, I bought the 1dsmkIII and later the 5dmkII. At the time, Nikon neither had a full frame camera nor one with such a high MP. I shoot commercially and the MP are important as is FF to me. Also, since I have been scanning film since 1995, I know that MP do matter when you want to manipulate a file--even for contrast, color and such, they have more flexibility and resilience than smaller files. For the way some work, it may not matter, it is all about knowing how you work and what you need.</p>

<p>If I was going to buy a digital today, for the first time, I would certainly consider buying the top of the line Nikon as it is what lenses I did have at the time, although I have not shot that camera and had shot the 1ds series cameras many times on jobs as rentals when I wasn't using a larger format camera. So, to compare the two you suggest here is probably not going to be fruitful, IMO. They are just too different. At this point, I am happy with Canon and probably wouldn't switch to the Nikon, but I have had 4 different MF systems over the last 20 years, so you never know. But buying a camera system, IMO, is about getting a camera system that meets your needs and one that can grow with those needs. Maybe this or that with one system is important to you, maybe MP isn't, so only you can decide by reading reviews and evaluating your specific needs. I made a choice in just that way and until I see something deficient in my current system that is fulfilled in another, I will remain very happy.</p>

<p>I think the 5DMII and the D700 are two totally different cameras. The 5DMII is this high resolution camera for taking gorgeous, detailed pics when you or your subject isn't in too much of a hurry (there are seriously cameras that are half the price that shoot faster). The D700 is this lower resolution, high speed camera that snaps off 6-8 pics with each squeeze of the trigger, and focuses on things that are moving fast. They're comparable, but they seem designed to be good for different jobs. If you need resolution: 5DMII. If you need speed: D700.</p>

<p>I greatly appreciate the healthy debate .I realise that there is no simple answer and when one spends that kind of money one is buying quality stuff .The only way to finish this debate would be to keep both .I wish i could do that .I personally dont get hung up on marquee names but i do wish to have equipment that will allow me to achieve the results that i strive for .I have been a happy Nikon user for 15 years and like most others developed a system over these years .What has prompted me to look elsewhere has been the problem that i have experienced with my present equipment over past few years .It is ironic as i now have more expensive camera and glass than ever before .I primarly use D300 with 70-200 2.8 lens .My image quality and sharpness for both stills and action shots not been that same and the percentage of keepers has dropped as well. Its has been very frustrating and i wonder if i just got a bad egg .And when i researched the maket the name of 5DM11 popped up.I wondered if the higher MP would translate into higher resolution pictures and from the above debate it would seem like it does .It also appears that you get better canon glass for your buck compared with nikon.I do a lot of birds in flight and realise that 5DMII may not be up to par in that regard .In short i want my images to appear as close to a medium format as i possilbly can.Thanks ~ Anis.</p>