Large product photo shoot: suggestions please

hominid

<p>I'm not a noobie, but I don't know where else to post such a question... I've a commercial photo shoot to do involving an 8 foot long custom board room table that is a masterful piece of woodworking. And like most artists, this dude can't afford a high-end large studio photo shoot (you know, where they shoot cars and such...) so we're trying to brainstorm ideas. He's looking for a seamless backdrop, typically found in smaller product catalogs and woodworking magazines.<br>

Has anyone experienced such a challenge? Thanks in advance.<br>

Jim</p><div>00XhCQ-302935584.jpg.d5f17acb96240802c3cae57c4bb82447.jpg</div>

<p>They make 12 foot seamless rolls, so you might take a look at that--I think they are only white or black though, I only ever got white that big.</p>

<p>The other way to get a big enough background is to run your 8 foot seamless length across the set and sweep it high enough for the shot. Then, roll out a second piece the same way, overlapping the first to be the floor of the shot. If you need it longer, do this again. Having the seams away from the camera will generally make them disappear ( or be easily retouched). Problem is just to get the first one as evenly hung as possible (flat) so the next pieces have a flat and straight surface to marry to--you can easily pin the upright piece to the sheet rock in your studio. (it might take overnight to get the seamless to "relax" and lay flat so the seams don't show too much. Of course, the one up the wall needs to sweep out gently and be taped to the floor to hold that shape.</p>

Wow. The first thing that comes to mind would be to do a whimsical outdoor shot instead of using a

backdrop. This would obviously require a teardown and transport of the table but something in a park.

If you need seamless, this is the type I used to use in a studio setting. I can't vouch for this brand but

it'll get you pointed in the right direction if you have a local shop:

Savage Seamless Background Paper, 107" wide x 12 yards, Super White, #1

* http://www.adorama.com/SA107121.html

Savage Seamless Background Paper, 140" wide x 35 yards, Super White, #1- Must Be Sent by Truck

* http://www.adorama.com/SA140351.html

Obviously wider is better but more expensive; you'd probably have to use multiple pieces of 107" and

shop out the seams. It would also be more difficult to hang from a frame.

Using the 140" would be optimal since you can just use two heavy-duty lightstands with wooden

dowels. Cut a closet dowel in half, drill holes in it to slip over the top of your lightstands, and use that

to support the seamless (use springclamps to hold the seamless in place to keep it from falling).

* http://www.lowes.com/pd_19414-261-436515_4294934297__?productId=3040777

<p>Use 9-foot seamless on edge, with the roll vertical rather than horizontal. You can make it as wide as you want.</p>

<p>Your camera angle will be looking down on the subject anyway, just like your test shot. You can position the seamless far enough behind that it will cover the full frame.</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Then, roll out a second piece the same way, overlapping the first to be the floor of the shot</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This is precisely what I did.</p>

<p>I did a shoot for a master wood worker who builds 9' African Tongue Drums made with exotic woods.</p>

<p>The black cloth was purchased at a fabric store. (Cheap) The sweep is continuous until it meets up with another piece horizontally on the floor.</p>

<p>You can sew them together if you wish, though I advise against that as you are now limited in how you use the cloth..(i.e) I can use remnant pieces as flags, gobos etc...</p>

<p>This image shows what I did. It works perfectly.</p>

<p><strong>TIPS:</strong><br>

1) Personally I would steer clear of paper seamless for such a shoot...It tears and wrinkles too easily.<br>

2) Be careful on your color selection for the cloth as it could easily produce color casts, black is great.<br>

3) Have a sticky lint brush handy. Take my word on this one. ;)</p><div>00XhJF-303055684.jpg.00731c78c78b554d0f9d5fcf7d5bc761.jpg</div>

<p>The black cloth may be the best choice so far, as the artist wants to showcase his work, not necessarily the environment. The only challenge will be the proper placement of the horizontal seem. I'll get him to start cruising fabric shops...</p>

<p>Thanks everyone for your interest and input - greatly appreciated!</p>

<p>Jim</p>

<p> </p>

<p>With black, you wont probably end up with too much of an issue with the seam. That is a pretty light table and I would expect that the cloth will push towards a vacant black pretty quickly--just try to get the overlap to lay as flat as possible so if you do have to deal with it, it is only a line and not a shadow.</p>