How to remove the film cartridge from a Pentax ME Super?

sinead_longden

<p>I am completely new to this camera and film cameras in general and i'm stuck. I have just finished my roll of film and rewound it just like the instructions said. I opened up the back and the film is on the right hand side. How do I get it out? I can't get it with my fingers or anything. I know to everyone else this may sound like a stupid question but please help!<br>

Okay I've just asked my mum and she said that i've done something wrong. I think I rewound it too much because now the film is completely by itself on the right hand side and the 'case' is on the left by itself. I tried to put the film back into the case but it keeps ripping. Should I just write off this film? </p>

<p>Sorry, Sinead, but your film is toast. When you open the back door, the film should be inside the canister. Any film outside of it has been exposed. These things happen when you are begining, so don't worry too much.<br>

As for getting the film out of the camera, press the small button on the bottom of the camera and slowly pull the film out with your fingers. You can pretty much throw it away. Welcome to film photography. Keep at it, because it's worth it.</p>

<p>Sounds like you need tips on rewinding - when you said you rewound the film, how did you do it? You need to press that button on the bottom and wind the rewind handle - that's the small lever on the left at the top that unfolds - until it spins freely, then it's safe to open and remove the film</p>

<p>35mm is unique<br>

the film needs to be rewound back into the cartrige.<br>

Once in a while the rewnd button // rewind crank will not work. In that case, with the lens cap on, press the rewind button and wind the film WITH THE ADVANCE LEVER GENTLY at the same time at the same time. This will finish the winding without actually moving the film as it is attached to the cartrige and you do NOT want to tear it loose. When rewinding, especially in cold or very dry weather do not rewind like you are in a ract. this might either scratch the film or create static electricity sparks.<br>

Some cameras, mostly older ones, require you to HOLD the rewind button while cranking the film back into the cartridge. Most newer cameras just require you to press the button once and rewind the filme. It may or may not go clcik click cluck as you rewind.<br>

You can lift the crank and knob and get the cartridge out. Sometimes lifting the crank and knob will open the back of the camera.<br>

before the back is opened. and the Wind mecanism has to be released by pressing thet little button<br>

a few cameras ( not the pentax) may have a lever to release the film. <br>

Some of us want to develop our film and are carful to hold the camera close to our ear, this way when we hear the sound change and the narrow end of the film comes loose and drags back thru the camera we can hear the noise.<br>

But likely you are using color film so when you rewind just do as the man said, rewind it all the way.<br>

The processor has a tookl to pull out the end of the film.<br>

afew - mostly point and shoot and some canon Rebel cameras have a motor to advance the film and it is automatically re-wound when it is done. There not you know more about rewinding than I do!</p>

<p>I just thought of a solution for you. Having worked at a 1 hr. photolab before I know the best way for you is to bring the camera to the lab. They will take the film out for you. The roll is toast any way. They will put in a new roll for you and charge you only for the price of the film. When you're done shooting bring the camera back, they will take the film out for you load and fresh roll of film and process the exposed roll. All for the price of the film and processing. They won't charge you for the time to take the film out or load new roll.</p>

<p>This is what I think happened. You forced the film to rewind without pressing the the little button on the bottom of the camera--so the advance sprockets remained locked--because the toothy advance sprockets were not free to spin, the film was not free to rewind, and the film tore off its spindle inside the cartridge.</p>

<p>To remove--if you press the button on the bottom of the camera, this should release the toothed advance sprocket and you should be able to gently pull the film out. As soon as you opened the back and exposed to light, the pictures on that film were toast. In the future, rewinding should not require all that much force. You can generally tell when you're done rewinding by feel and sound--once its fully rewound it will become slightly easier to spin and you'll hear the same little noise during each spin as the film leader (the end of the film) ticks past the cartridge slot.</p>

<p>On the ME Super, I believe once you press the rewind release button on the bottom of the camera, I believe it stays released (depressed) until you cock or fire the shutter again at which point the button will pop back out.</p>

<p>Keep with it, it's a good camera and as soon as you realize how it's supposed to work it will make sense. You shouldn't need to force anything.</p>

<p>Okay I thought I had pressed the button but obviously not. I'm not sure about going to the developers, I might go. I guess I'm going to have to get it out somehow. Hopefully the next one is okay, I can't seem to do anything right with this camera, I know it's stupid to expect me to know how to work it straight away but still. Thanks for all the help - I will definitely do it like you say next time. x</p>

<p>Please don't be discouraged, film cameras are an alien technology for a lot of people nowadays so it's great you're giving it a go. I think the fastest way to get a handle on the loading / unloading is to either download the manual (one of the respondents gave the link to the manual) or to visit a camera store and have them show you. Then you're good to go.</p>

<p>You would definitely know if the rewind button was pushed in when you tried to rewind the film, as if the button is not pressed, it will be VERY hard to turn the rewind lever. When you press the button it makes it EASY to rewind.</p>

<p>With all things camera, if something doesn't want to turn or move, <em>please don't force it</em> as you will break stuff.</p>

Be sure to wind the shutter all the way. I don't know if this happens with other cameras, but on an ME Super, if you start rewinding but the shutter hasn't been cocked completely, the rewind mechanism pops back into engagement almost immediately when you stop pushing the rewind button.

This happens when I find out I am at the end of a roll because when I used the film wind lever, it was stopped by the end of the roll.

I do the following:

Push in rewind button. Hold it in, and rewind the film a few turns.

THEN_ finish cocking the shutter.

NOW push the rewind button in and it will stay in, allowing you to rewind the whole roll without needing to touch the button again.

There are only a few mistakes to make and then the camera will make sense. The ME Super is a great little camera, nice metering, fantastic viewfinder.