Nikon d200 isn't uploading files to computer via usb

falcon7

<p>I've had no trouble in uploading files via a usb cord to my computer with my<strong> D200.</strong> Today, there was something different. The computer does not recognize any evidence of the camera being connected. I tried using the same USB cord with my<strong> d40 </strong>and had no problem. It was recognized immediately and began the upload procedure. So I am eliminating a problem with the cord and computer (I tried a second computer with the same two cameras and the same thing happened. Any suggestions concerning what's going on, or a workaround to use to upload the files from the D200? BTW, I did try changing the USB setting in the camera from MASS to PTP and back, but this didn't change anything. Thanks. As mentioned, this failure to be recognized happened for the first time today. No problems previously.</p>

<p>Are you simply using the operating system's file copying routine, or are you using a particular piece of software (like Nikon Transfer) to do the work?<br /><br />Regardless, I'd just go with an external USB card reader, and stop tethering the camera at all. Safer that way.</p>

<p>Alan,<br>

Is the battery of your D200 fully loaded ?<br />I had this once with my ( then brandnew) d300, all worked fine aftet charging the battery...<br />It seems that if there is just little power left ( less than 1/4 th ) the cam refuses to connect to my PC...</p>

<p>Best workaround is a dedicated card reader. </p>

<p>It's possible that the usb port on the camera has been damaged somehow. Since the USB doesn't impact any of the camera's other functions and memory card readers are relatively cheap - not worth the worry or hassle unless the camera is under warranty.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Allen, Save yourself a whole lot of trouble and get a card reader. They are cheap and so handy to have. I have an open USB on my computer so I just keep it hooked up all the time. All I do is pop out the card and insert it into the slot and the rest happens automatically. The NX Transfer opens opens up and it shows you the photos you are to import into the computer, if all is OK just hit yes and it is done.<br>

So easy and I don't have to worry about handling my camera hooking up wires to it.<br>

Have fun!<br>

phil b<br>

benton, ky</p>

<p>Card reader it is. I sure don't want to pay Nikon a couple of hundred dollars for a repair. And I'll try supercharging the battery to see if that makes a difference. Now I can go back to trying to get my printer to work properly even though I'm convinced it's a sadist and won't ever tell me when it will allow me to get the image I was hoping to get.</p>

<p>I'd also bet low batteries is the likeliest culprit,<br>

but I certainly agree that card readers (USB2 or Firewire) are a far superior solution, especially given that they are available on eBay from China, free shipping, for no more than a few bucks.</p>

<p>If you hadn't tried your other camera, I might have thought it was a bad cable. I am always surprised at their fragility in actual use.</p>

<p>The prices have come down considerably over the last couple of years, and some vendors are still trying to sell them at the old prices, too.<br /> Mine was of the type currently listed on eBay as "ALL-IN-1 USB 2.0 MEMORY CARD READER" for BIN US$2.50 and free shipping from China.<br /> Don't ask me how they do it.</p>