Fill Flash

I know that this isn't exactly the right forum but I thought I might

get more responses this way.

Anyone have a quick, reliable way of calculating fill flash. I am

doing some outdoor portraits using fuji neopan 160 and I want to

balance the flash exposure with natural light. The flash I will be

using is the old Vivitar 283 in conjuction with a Nikon FE2.

Thanks!!!!

Do you want it the same as natural light or 1 stop less. You have certain limitations for aperture depending on the sync speed of the shutter and how much light you have. For fill set the aperture on the flash the same as your lens. If you want the fill flash lower set the aperture on your lens between 1/2 and one stop smaller than the aperture set on the flash. The flash output will be less than the camera setting allowing some flash in the shadow. This will only work if the aperture you have selected results in a shutter speed that still syncs with the flash. If it is too bright, you may have to use an ND filter or slower film.

Justin:

I use fill flash when lighting with north light in the studio. You will be limited to the synch shutter speed on your particular system. I calculate flash with a flash meter. I then test with polaroid. If neither of these solutions is feasible, then I would bracket a test roll and develop the film to determine the look you want.

"Jon, are you SURE that will work with a 283?"

It works with any auto flash that can be set at a stop or two below the ambient light exposure. If I'm not mistaken, the 283 offers a choice of four F-stops in Auto mode. For what Justin's planning, I'd probably set the flash closer to f/5.6 for a subtler effect; I like it when you can't tell fill flash was used. But it all comes down to personal taste in any given situation. Also, this system assumes the camera is set on manual with the correct exposure. If you're using the camera in shutter-preferred auto your exposures could be all over the map.

Jon: I still don't get it. If he follows your instructions at say 6 feet camera to subject distance, would it be the same at 20 feet, with flash on camera, set on "AUTO?"

Yes. An auto flash frees you from calculating distance. But fill flash is generally used in the 3-12' range.