"I like high contrast portraits" ???

ryan_warner

<blockquote>

<p><br /><em><strong>"Any advice" </strong>or thoughts on the subject <strong>"are welcome",</strong></em> really looking to bounce some ideas around.<br />Thanks Ryan</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If catering to people has never been a strong point for you and you intend to continue driving your business in this manner; then any in-depth conversation with the client beyond establishing that you either do, or do not make a style of image she is after, seems pointless to me.</p>

<p>It would be better not to shoot the job, than to shoot it half heartedly and as a result, not accommodate what the Client was seeking.</p>

<p>As to what she means by her comment: I think the overwhelming opinion is you need to ask her – and – rather than provide concrete Post Production methods of attaining what she MIGHT be meaning: my advice is more catholic and wholistic - as you are a designer you should jive with this concept - you need to think like an High School Student and envision what mediums she uses to expresses herself.</p>

<p>I would be sourcing past year books and studying those.</p>

<p>I would also know what, if any, role the Student has in the Production of the Yearbook.</p>

<p>I would initially assume that she is the Co-ordinator or Art Editor of the School Magazine / Yearbook or similar or if not then she has the ear of the Editor or the Teacher in Charge. If this is the case, then she likely will be an Art Student or a Photography Student or a Literature Student or all three . . . I mention this because I teach High School Students and some (many) Senior Students are quite precise in their views and some most inflexible: and good communication is easy, but needs attention IMO, I guess if she does have a position of power within the Editorial of the School Year Book – you should consider what value the School, being your Major Client, has to your business.</p>

<p>At the meeting with her, I would suggest that you have a tone and timbre of voice and social intercourse, more in accord with <em><strong>building client relations </strong></em>(even if you hold the view that you will not cater to her desires) and less akin to the style exhibited by some of your retorts to <strong>“advice”</strong> given to you here; as those retorts seem more in accord with the <em><strong>diminution of Professional Relationships.</strong></em></p>

<p>WW</p>

<p> </p>

<p>@<a href="../photodb/user?user_id=4521773">Jill Bingham</a>: Never even though of those two "styles" as high contrast, but the case can definitively be made that they are. Thank you for your input.</p>

<p>@<a href="../photodb/user?user_id=6281520">Eduardo Flor</a>: Yes once I know what she wants I will probably have to re-adjust my pricing, or inform her that what she wants is not in her budget.</p>

<p>@<a href="../photodb/user?user_id=2223148">William W</a>: I do see how it would seem pointless to meet and discus further in-depth when you consider my past record. However, maybe it's time I start to change my approach, or maybe this will be a one time exception. Only time will tell and I prefer to be flexible as my normal ridged stance might be holding me back.</p>

<p>Completely agree that furthering the discussion with her is my best route. Like I said in my initial post...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I didn't get a chance to talk to her in depth about it, but hope to in the coming days. </p>

</blockquote>

<p>Both the year book and the finding out her role in the year book comity (if any) are excellent suggestions that I would not have thought out. </p>

<p>The value of this school being a major client is immense. Currently the school runs their yearbook in the following manor. All seniors are required to provide their own photos for the yearbook. The school in no way provides a photographer, they do however recommend some. If I can get on that list I know it will generate enough business to make any "hassles" of this first shoot worthwhile. This is also another driving reason for me to consider changing my stance on client catering. </p>

<p>Thank you for sharing your wisdom, I greatly appreciate it. </p>

<p>@<a href="../photodb/user?user_id=4152170">Kris Bochenek</a>: Thank you for sharing. You have some really great captures in there. I would also consider them High Contrast, more specifically Mid Key High Contrast. Out of curiosity what was your lighting solution?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"The value of this school being a major client is immense. Currently the school runs their yearbook in the following manor. All seniors are required to provide their own photos for the yearbook. The school in no way provides a photographer, they do however recommend some. If I can get on that list I know it will generate enough business to make any "hassles" of this first shoot worthwhile. This is also another driving reason for me to consider changing my stance on client catering."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Then, I would not meet with "her" I would meet with "Her Group".</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>@ Harry Joseph: That's part of my issue. I'm not sure if she means < 5:1 or 1:0.</p>

<p>@WW: Well I've been in contact with the teacher in charge of the yearbook and she is pretty set in her ways. So I'm just going to advertise in the yearbook and keep my fingers crossed.</p>

<p>@ Jim Ducey: Very true, thank you for the input.</p>