Gettin my work in a gallery

peter_sage1

<p>I have a collection ready for showing and I have been asking galleries to look at it, but I get the same invariable answer, we have no time.<br>

What's shocking to me is that they do not want to look at a CD, do no want me to send an email with a link to my work, nothing, they want me to get the hell out of their gallery right now.<br>

(I wash often and dress appropriately in case you're wondering...)<br>

Either I'm doing it wrong, or I've hit some glass ceiling.<br>

I could understand that they get so many photographers that want to have their work shown, but they generally look like they're just sitting on their behinds, casually chatting or listening to music.<br>

Why is that happening? How is this done?</p>

<p>Most galleries are booked months/years ahead, so don't really worry. A good idea is to find local coffee shops or cafe's who show art/photography and ask them if you could have a "solo" show. When your work is shown gallery owners will see it. Then you can tell gallery owners that you have been in "numerous" solo shows which helps.</p>

<p>Peter, digital images will never do. You should provide a sample of your images in a high quality, printed portfolio, or if your show is more than 10 images, consider printing them a bit smaller at 4 up. Also target galleries that show work similar to yours. You're visiting in person, right?</p>

<p>Are you sure your images are of high enough quality? Maybe you could ask a gallery owner to look at your work and evaluate it for you, asking whether it is suitable for a gallery.</p>

<blockquote>

<p> digital images will never do. You should provide a sample of your images in a high quality, printed portfolio</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The last three shows I was in involved no prints in advance, nor does one coming up in January. Most people these days would rather look quickly at an online gallery to see if your work is the type they want. If you are getting turned down because you say "photography," then you are talking to the wrong galleries. Look for ones that have photography shows. I agree, however, with the advice to look for smaller venues like cafes and public spaces that show art. You will get a lot more response. Also, you might consider putting a link to your website in your photo.net profile, as I have found that quite useful, although it's primarily been licensing.</p>

<p>So test dropping off a CD vs. taking in prints and see which one gets the results you want. I don't show in cafes, but instead art galleries. Let me back up a bit. When I approach a gallery owner, it is ahead of my visit (i.e., I make an appointment). I build as much rapport as possible (usually as they have time) on the phone. Personally, I would never drop off a CD to someone and expect them to view it. I want to go through the portfolio with the gallery owner or manager. I want to talk about the photo the same way I would if it was opening night. I want them to know how I took the image, what it was like, and some story they can remember to help them sell the image. I'm not interested in showing images that don't sell. It's about marketing to me. I want sales. I want the gallery to make sales. I want the gallery to ask me back, or to approach them with a new suite of work, and have them put down the showing on their calendar. To that end, I don't approach many galleries cold any more. I either have some relationship with them, with someone who already does, or ask for a referral to a gallery elsewhere. If a CD works for galleries in area, then by all means drop one off.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Are you approaching the right galleries? I mean, there are some galleries which simply do not show photography. Others are more willing to experiment.</p>

<p>Cold calling is not always a good idea. I would call first and ask for a meeting with the owner/manager/curator "concerning the possibility of an exhibition" and once you have that meeting you can DISCUSS the possibility of a show...IF the gallery is interested in putting up a photography exhibition, then they will both ASK to see your portfolio AND peruse your website.</p>

<p>BUT, make ABSOLUTELY sure that the first 10 images they see are PERFECT. Otherwise you lost them. A curator will need to be TRULY sold on you, as a person, to invest more time and hunt through your online portfolio for those 30-40 images which will make an exhibition. And keep in mind that your selections might not be the same as their selections...</p>

<p>It would be helpful to know a little more about you, your work, your exhibit experience, and the kind of galleries you approach.</p>

<p>I have found that the "art world" operates quite differently from any other business world (e.g. corporate). Personal referral, fame, fad, and subjectivity all play some role in any business. But they carry much more weight in the "art world". The quality of work, however, remains essential.</p>

<p>As an example, a large corporation's HR department would scan the thousands of resume they receive. Then sw would match the key words in them with those provided by the hiring managers. Only those with close matches will be forwarded to the managers. Nothing even comes close like this in the "art world".</p>

<p>These primers are good starts for a beginner.</p>

<p>http://www.amazon.com/Taking-Leap-Building-Career-Visual/dp/0811850935/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top</p>

<p>http://www.amazon.com/How-Survive-Prosper-Artist-Yourself/dp/0805088482/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top</p>

<p>Galleries don't usually make photographer money.<br>

I know, I have tried and known many gallery owners.<br>

You are approaching them on the basis of can you do something for me - begging.<br>

If you can show them how you could make money for them they would listen. How you do this depends on the person and gallery, but this you must do.<br>

Then, if they are lucky you will display at their gallery.<br>

Your work better be good and aimed at a specific target market - for instance designers of modern interiors.<br>

Then, you may even get wise and contact these people directly at a venue of your choice.<br>

Good luck.<br>

Business is business and you must have confidence and must be able to back it up with the best.</p>

<p>Peter, since you have no experience in the art world, check out Cay Lang's book "Taking The Leap - Building a Career as a Visual Artist" ISBN-10 0-8118-5093-5</p>

<p>Lots of interesting info on how the art world works, and what gallery owners want from you and what you should expect from them.</p>

<p>In answer to your question of "why don't they make money?" the overhead of operating a gallery is about as high as retail business gets, and unless they sell your pictures, and more, they are operating at a deficit.</p>

<p>So unless you have a proven track record of exhibitions and sales, they most likely won't risk wall space on you. As the others have said, try showing your work in coffee houses and the like for a while before approaching galleries, you'll have better luck and will have learned some lessons about what and how to show.</p>

<p><Chas><br /><br /></p>

<blockquote>

<p>my exhibit experience is zero. I approach galleries that I find in the phone book. I do fine art photos.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>With context, you are getting better answers.</p>

<p>I have found exhibiting my work a real learning experience. Like you, I started with approaching galleries for solo shows without any clue or experience, and kept getting rejections. Little did I know that they were doing me great favors. I simply was not ready.</p>

<p>Here you will find my journey and lessons:</p>

<p>http://www.photo.net/casual-conversations-forum/00Vyc6</p>

<blockquote>

<p>the overhead of operating a gallery is about as high as retail business gets, and unless they sell your pictures, and more, they are operating at a deficit.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>And unlike a McDonalds, a gallery cannot count on that on any given day, there will be sales of some sort.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>, check out Cay Lang's book "Taking The Leap - Building a Career as a Visual Artist"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Excellent advice, by someone who really knows.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If they sell my photos then everybody makes money right?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The cost of putting up a show is pretty steep, even if you include the value of your time.<br>

And you still haven't posted a link to your website.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I third the advice on Taking the Leap. I have many many books on this subject, and that's the best one I've found. Also ditto the smaller exhibitions in other spaces. Think about where folks with money would go--I have one upcoming show in a high-end hair salon in my town. <br>

Many many galleries just don't do photography. Find some that do, find places that have work similar or the same caliber as yours and start there. </p>