or wider. Extension tubes of 12mm upwards

are readily available but not 8mm or less. Is it

possible to use the Nikon (pk-11a?) with my

5DMkII? I have a 'dumb' 12mm extension

tube back home that I use the trick of locking

down the aperture using DOF preview before

attaching the tube - this works, so electronics

are not essential.

I was thinking of an adapter, perhaps a non feasible or expensive option as I haven't viewed a PK11A,

Actually I just discovered that Canon used to make a 5mm extension tube for the FD mount. Would it be possible to get that to mount on EOS (if I found one)?

<p>the length of the extension tube you need is strongly dependent on the lens and camera. While a 8mm might be perfect for a Nikon lens on a Nikon body it may not be the best choice for the lens you have on a 5D. Adding an adaptor to a 8mm tube will make at least 1mm to the length of the tubem, possibly more. Some FD adaptors have lenses in them because FD lenses were closer to the film than EF lenses. The FD adaptor lens my cause aditional issues.</p>

<p> I think your best choice is to ge a <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/375102-REG/Kenko_AEXTUBEDGC_Auto_Extension_Tube_Set.html">Kenko set</a>. the shortest is 10mm plus you get a 20mm and a 36mm tube and all allow full auto operation of EOS lenses on your 5D. The longer tubes may be helpful with some of your other lenases. I have used an extension tube with my 100-400 to reduce the minimum focus distance. </p>

<p><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/375102-REG/Kenko_AEXTUBEDGC_Auto_Extension_Tube_Set.html"></a></p>

<p>You can mount Nikon stuff to EOS cameras with a cheap adapter. Everything will be manual, of course, but light (and flash) metering will work. Another alterantive would be M42 -- extentension tubes will work on full-frame Canon dSLRs.</p>

<p>It strikes me that the best approach might be to walk away from EOS lenses for this application and instead work with a lens from another manufacturer that has a mechanically controlled diaphragm. That will allow you to focus wide-open and adjust your aperture with the system set-up, and it may make the whole setup much easier to use.<br /> For lenses that have a longer flange distance than Canon, you will need to find both an adapter and an appropriate extension tube. For lenses like Canon FD with a shorter flange distance, the adapter alone might provide the kind of extension you are looking for.<br /> A 5mm Canon Extension Tube M plus an FD-EOS adapter will give you much more extension than you are looking for, as most FD-EOS adapters are themselves about 15mm thick. There are some adapters out there made from a single piece of milled aluminium with no moving parts that are in the ballpark. An FD-EOS adapter much less than about 8mm thick, though, won't work, as diaphragm linkage on the lens will hit the mirror box.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>It strikes me that the best approach might be to walk away from EOS lenses for this application and instead work with a lens from another manufacturer that has a mechanically controlled diaphragm. That will allow you to focus wide-open and adjust your aperture with the system set-up, and it may make the whole setup much easier to use.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>How woulld manual stop down metering be easier than auto aperture control? I don't have a wide prime but I do have a 17-40 and a 12mm Kenko extension tube. At 24mm. The setup work fine in full auto (auto exposure, auto focus). The only down side is the short lens to subject distance which is less than 3/4 inch. At 17mm it still worked but the lens to subject distancedrops to less than 1/8". With such low lens to subject distance the camera lens itself blocks a lot of lieght. An off camera flash would solve that issue. </p>

<p>I am not aware of any way to get auto aperture control with less than 12mm of extension and an EOS lens. With a wide angle lens, too much extension results in very high magnifications and problematic working distances. I assume Glen is looking for a specific combination of magnification and foreground-background relationship, which is why he is looking to use the uncommon combination of a wide angle lens with a very short extension tube.<br>

Glen's only option with an EOS lens is to use a 'dumb' tube that requires him to lock down the lens at the taking aperture before he mounts it. This means that he will be obliged to compose and focus stopped-down. That might be possible with live view, but would be nigh impossible with an AF optimized focusing screen. A lens with a mechanical diaphragm would allow him to open up the lens for focusing, to vary the aperture between frames without taking the whole assembly apart, etc.</p>

• 4 months later...

<p>Bit lat, but I build today a manual 8 mm extension tube for Canon EF mount.<br>

It is made out of the front and back part of an cheap chinese extension tube set without any electronics, its only a mechanic tube.<br>

I have to use my lathe and a file. <br />I think in some ours I will add a shot How To with some pictures to my webpage.<br />You will find it here in my own DIY list when it is ready:<br>

http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/Photo-DIY.html</p>