Sharing Sites for Class

<p>I hate it when technology makes me feel like an idiot. But here it is.</p>

<p>I am teaching an online high school course in digital photography and imaging: great fun, and what a wonderful medium in which to teach high school photography, compared to a classroom.</p>

<p>What I would like to do, however, is create a shared space where we can all contribute and critique — broken out by assignment. For instance, there's one assignment on Manual Exposure, another on fill flash etc. </p>

<p>I have been beating my head against the monitor working with flickr and Picassa, which seem designed for an individual to show his or her own album: not structured around shared albums. Facebook seems a possiblity, but I am shy about doing this with high school students, considering privacy issues.</p>

<p>Any suggestions?</p>

<p>You might try shutterfly. I went on a raft trip this past spring and the tour company had set up a photo sharing page on shutterfly for the group. Only group members could post images of the trip on the site. Access to posting was controlled by e-mail addresses. The company gave shutterfly my address (with my permission), I signed in using my e-mail and a password to add photos. Only e-mail addresses supplied by the company could post new photographs. The site and group can be viewed by anyone, but only group members can post. </p>

<p>With flickr, creating a group that is invite-only (so as to keep out non-class members) is pretty quick and painless. Students would create a flickr account, join the group, and post photos to it. Individual groups have their own discussion section.</p>

<p>Students with free flickr accounts would be limited to 200 uploads to their individual account before needing to buy a Pro account for $25/year. </p>