M645 1000s and wasted film

mark_macdonald

<p>I've got a M645 1000s with the 120 film back. I seem to be averaging about 13 exposures to a roll, which I think is too few.<br /><br />When loading the film, I'll wind it until the red arrow is facing me, and then close the back. It takes an extra crank or two of the winding lever before the camera is ready for the first exposure, which seems reasonable.<br /><br />However, when I get the developed film back from the lab, I see a bunch of empty space following the last exposure on the roll. It looks like about 3 additional exposures that I'm missing out on.<br /><br />Any idea what could be wrong here? If indeed there's a bunch of perfectly good film unused at the end of the roll, it'd seem that the camera's frame counter is reaching the end too early.<br>

I've attached a pic of the last exposure on the roll.</p>

<div>00XbfE-297253684.thumb.jpg.92fdaad436aff97596991920b48e9a6c.jpg</div>

<p>Are the first 13 frames spaced more-or-less evenly? If not, then the problem is likely erratic frame spacing, which is fairly common on old Japanese 120 cameras. You can probably buy another Mamiya 645 body for what it will cost to repair, but if you get it fixed you'll have peace of mind using what is otherwise an excellent camera.</p>

<p>Jon: The frames that I do get seem fairly evenly spaced.<br>

However, I just found the camera manual and closely read the section on Film Loading. It says this:</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>Always align the start marks of the film and spool clip before placing the film insert into the camera. If the start marks are aligned within the camera with the aid of the film advance crank, the first frame will not be correctly positioned.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>I was putting the back into the camera <em>first</em>, and <em>then</em> winding the film and aligning the start marks. Since doing this turns the gears connected to the film spool, it was probably dragging the film counter forward, causing it to advance a few frames beyond where it should've been.<br>

I'll have to run another roll through to verify this, but it sounds plausible. Happily, user error is the cheapest problem to fix. :)</p>

<p>Mark, if your follow-up post doesn't solve it, then I know the other thing that can cause this. Just before you put the insert into the body, check the frame counter window: has it returned all the way to the "S" mark? This is a common enough problem with the older M645 bodies. Look into the empty film chamber and you'll see a large cog with fine tooth gearing at the upper right of the interior. All you have to do is use your finger to nudge this backwards until the frame counter returns to "S". Then pop in the insert and you're set.</p>