Which lenses to get??

pammy_g

<p>Hey there! I have been really getting into photography, and I am in the process of starting a photography business to take portraits, engagement shoots, families, senior shoots or babies, and so on. All my photo sessions take outdoors...right now, I am just really getting a ton of practice in, expanding my portfolio, editing with Lightroom & Color Efex, and just learning more as I go. I have done a ton of research, ton of traveling and experimenting with photography for many years, and even took courses in college for it as well.</p>

<p>I currently use a Nikon D5000 and I use two lenses: Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm and Nikon AF-S Nikkor 55-200mm. I am definitely saving up for my dream lenses which I'm still undecided on several choices so for the time being, I wanted to get lenses that is around 200-400 dollars. Right now, I'm really interested in the ultrawide lenses and I have my eye on the Sigma 10-20mm because I'm really creative with landscape/outdoor shots and the lenses looks like something I can have fun with and take amazing pictures. I'm really more into getting amazing pictures rather than having the build or test charts be perfect. However, I am wondering if that's even gonna benefit me since I've never used ultrawide lenses (but have read so much about)...It seems that it won't benefit me at all for my photo sessions but it will for outdoor shoots. If I shouldn't get ultrawide lenses, what do you guys recommend for me to try out? If I should use ultrawide, can anyone tell me if the Sigma is worth it? Any info appreciated, thanks!</p>

<p>Pamela,<br>

Sounds like you are really excited about all of this, that is a good thing.<br>

I have a D90 with the Sigma 10-20, I have the older version and I love it. The newer one ($$) is a fixed aperture. I don't think that is needed as I haven't had any limitations with the one I have. <br>

I've never tried one for portrait, but have used it plenty for group shots.<br>

It can be a fun lens to have and you should be able to pick up one for under $400.00. Not sure if it will focus on a D5000 but I always use manual focus on the one I have anyway.<br>

Half of the fun is in collecting the lenses one needs,<br>

So have fun,<br>

phil b<br>

benton, ky </p>

<p>

<p>“…I have my eye on the Sigma 10-20mm because I'm really creative with landscape/outdoor shots and the lenses looks like something I can have fun with and take amazing pictures.”<br>

<br>

You can have fun and take amazing pictures with the lenses you have now.<br>

<br>

Since the ultrawide you are now considering will not be very useful when you are shooting portraits, engagements, families, seniors, and babies in your new photography business, I suggest that you wait until after you have started the business and then evaluate what, if any, new lenses you may need.<br>

.</p>

</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Agree with John. Sounds like you may want to invest in a "portrait" lens - what actually may work on a DX body is the 50mm AF-S, which would be close to the "classic" portrait focal length of 85mm and would enable you to do natural low light photos at f1.4 or thereabouts. Optically it will surpass your current lenses easily and you gain 3+ stops over the 18-55 and 55-200.</p>

<p>That being said, If you want to have "fun" and not spend a lot of money, consider a Fisheye, such as the Rokinon 8mm ($200 used). Or you could be on the look out for a used Nikkor 10.5mm which you can probably pick up used for ~$400. Warning though, while "fun" and "cool" the images have limited use and appeal in a professionally setting IMO, unless you do panoramas.</p>

<p>my (sensible-ish) dream lens kit:-</p>

<ul>

<li>tokina 11-16</li>

<li>tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC (currently have)</li>

<li>tamron 60mm f2 macro (also great for portrait)</li>

<li>nikon 70-200 VR2 ($£$£$£$£$£)</li>

<li>nikon 35mm f2 (currently have, use as normal walkaround)</li>

</ul>

<p>also had a nikon 18-200 for the last 2 years, but swopped for the tamron 17-50.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>like something I can have fun with and take amazing pictures. I'm really more into getting amazing pictures rather than having the build or test charts be perfect.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Pamela,<br />Maybe not the most sensable answer maybe bu stillt.. :<br />I was looking for a lens I could have lots of fun with and Ultra wide, I found the Sigma 8-16 mm ..<br />It packs ( for me ) lots of fun , and ( from 10mm on) quality pics too..<br />Maybe its not the best performer in the world, but its got a unique range ( on DX). It's in the in the same price range as the 10-20mm (around here..)...<br />The impression/review that finaly convinced me for this one :<br /><a href="http://manessinger.com/tag/sigma-8-16mm-f4-5-5-6-dc-review">http://manessinger.com/tag/sigma-8-16mm-f4-5-5-6-dc-review</a></p>

<p>Thanks for the responses guys...I've decided to go with your suggestions and invest in good "portrait" lenses for now. I will just get ultrawide lenses for Christmas when my brothers ask me what I want for xmas...that way I get best of both worlds.<br>

I do get great pictures with the lenses I have now but I want more. I want more character and depth in my photos and I want to get more creative. I like to be artsy in a way sometimes. I want to explore and check out new lenses so I can really explore everything in photography and find out what I'm best in, if that makes sense.<br>

So..Any suggestions on really good portrait lenses?? Low budget on this one as well... and it has to work with Nikon D5000 Autofocus..</p>

<p>The AF-S version does, but it's expensive considering your budget and as a portrait lens it's a bit neither-here-nor-there. It's not for those who prefer the bit closer in, natural perspective shots, and it's not long enough for those who want to get farther away and get the most flattering view for a head shot. What sorts of portrait did you want to shoot? With your zooms, what focal length range do you use the most?</p>

Well I've found one that goes for 275 dollars and I'm

Okay with that. But what I usually do is try a lot of places outdoors that has a great backdrop, and I hate to be far

away most of the time, only sometimes, I don't want to be super close where I'm almost in their place, so I guess I like

to move around a lot but definitely not too far away because there's times where I go to old buildings so I can't be

across the street or in the middle in case of cars or because I'll shoot on the beach or lake so I need to be closer than

that. Hope that helps to give an idea of my range.

<p>$275 sounds like the 50mm f/1.4 D AF. That lens does NOT AF on a D5000. The one that does is the 50mm f/1.4 G AF-S, which is usually over $400.</p>

<p>I'd say if you don't have a specific idea of the length you're looking for, go use your standard zoom and do some shooting and see what focal lengths you got the most use out of. If 50mm is what you need, the AF-S lens is quite good. If 35mm is more suitable, look for the 35mm f/1.8 G AF-S DX. It's about $200 and it's fantastic. It's a focal length that a lot of people don't like for portraits, but when using my D90 I get a lot more mileage out of my 35 than my 50 and the 50 spends most of its time shooting film.</p>

<p>Well honestly, I switch a lot between 35 to 55mm so I think I'm gonna get 35mm. Since both my lenses has 55mm, I rarely use that focal length and I always wanted something shorter than 55mm so I decided on 35mm. This discussion allowed me to think smart and figure out what I truly want in photography and either way, I can tell that the 35mm is a great lenses to have in my collection and it will be great to experiment with till I really understand what my perfect lenses are!</p>

The 35mm f/1.8 Nikon is quite cheap for what it is. Not a bad starting point. If you want a zoom however, maybe look at the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. You will find alot of people using that lens and for good reason. Just ensure you get the BIM version. (Built in motor)

And for future reference I loved using the 50 f/1.4 AF-S on my D5000 for portraits. Would make a great combo with the 35.