Is there a market for photo bookcovers/jackets?

falcon7

<p>As someone who has published a few textbooks, I've never been involved in selecting cover art. But with my interest and practice of photography, I'm wondering if there is a market for original photographs for book jackets or covers (front or back).Or do publishers simply go through stock photo libraries in search of an appropriate photo that seems just right for the book, regardless of its genre (novel, non-fiction, etc.). Does anyone have knowledge of this area?</p>

It's all over the map. . . usually the author is key to selecting the cover . . . if the author has in mind an

image or a selection of images, he or she can recommend to the publisher the images. I dont think

there's a specific market for book covers . . . that said, get to know the people who publish books in your

specific area of photographic expertise . . . .

<p>Stock photography is (A) source for publishers, but not often.</p>

<p>A good exercise would be to go to a book store and just start looking at books.</p>

<p>More than 50% don't even use photography ior covers/back etc...<br>

The remaining 50+ % use artistic drawings, line art etc...</p>

<p>Covers, dust jackets etc has a market, but you won't get rich off it.</p>

<p>Typically, the publisher commissions a freelance designer. The designer comes up with their concept that requires a certain kind of image, proposes it to the publisher and assuming the publisher likes it, between them they work out how to source the image needed to realise the concept - if the designer doesn't already know.</p>

<p>Of the few dozen book covers we've been involved with, only one or two involved stock images. But no doubt it varies a lot from publisher to publisher.</p>