The demise of a D3 with 24-70 2.8 lens

paul_mcmullin

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Hi Mike, the software is Nikon Camera control Pro and whereas you can control everything from the computer shutter/aperture/mode/etc etc with DSLR's you cannot control the zoom as it is a manual function. With integrated snapshot type cameras you can zoom. Its always useful to have 'Liveview' on the camera which the D3 had as we could see what the camera was pointing at but the D2x doesnt have this feature and therefore we had to shoot an image open it and then adjust as required. Though at that point we couldnt pan and tilt remotely either so we could only twist the base of the mast to pan and then shoot. I think you can download a trail version of the software from the Nikon website. </p>

<p>Hi, I've got the 'paid-for' version and often use my D300 with a Sigma 10-20mm mounted on a Benbo at full height, ie about 2ft higher than me. I was forever having to get on my ally camera case to reach the lens. Managed to get a servo to drive the lens via worm drive from zoom-lock end to end. Needs a simple clutch to prevent lens over-rotation. It doesn't work via RC, just a pair of very thin cables and a little servo-tester board gaffer-tapped to the laptop. Maybe I ought to market it?</p>

<p>Now this is definitely one advantage of film. If the camera had been an F4, after the impact you would have found it sitting at the bottom of the crater it had carved into the asphalt with, oh, possibly a scratch or two--but otherwise perfectly serene and ready for further action.</p>