Mounting two cameras together

igord

<p>I would like to mount two canons together (bottoms together) using a tripod screwmount at the bottom of the cameras. Is there any accessory available to do it? I simply use two prime lenses when I work so I would like to switch between cameras/lenses immediately.</p>

<p>I'd think that a length of threaded rod or possibly even the correct length stud(1/4-20?) could be purchased at a hardware store. <br>

My first thoughts about it makes me think it would balance awkwardly, and be troublesome when it came time to change the batteries.<br>

Good luck,<br>

Rich</p>

<p>funny stuff, I don't know why i didnt think of that, all this time the last 30 years i've wasted changing lenses and keeping my 2nd body in the bag - it's like an over-under shotgun in landscape mode and side by side shotgun when shooting portrait....</p>

<p>Rich's correctly recommended threaded rod would be a real short one which means call your fellow genius engineering buddy that has a drill press and a die set. In the mean-while you could epoxy the bottoms together to make sure the concept works for you. Make sure you charge the batteries though, and start doing those chinups now.</p>

<p>Like Rich I also wish you<br>

Good luck :=)</p>

<p>The bottom-to-bottom idea is interesting. I certainly hadn't thought of it before. I've been collecting old photomagazines for a long time and don't remember ever seeing it there either.<br>

The trick is having a screw section/length that is short enough so as <strong><em>not</em></strong> to punch a hole in the bottom of either camera when it's screwed tight (a condition to be avoided <a href="http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Sexandyoungpeople/Pages/Sexandalcohol.aspx">LINK</a>). Of course, it also has to be long enough to be secure.</p>

<p>If you do it, let us know how it turns out -- i.e., is really practical in use.<br>

At first, I thought you were talking about side-by-side mounting (as for stereo).</p>

<p>Slick and, possibly, others have made tripod head adapters to mount a number of accessories. I have the Slik extension plate deluxe, purchased while I was in Japan that I have Arca-Swissed, with a mounting plate below and two QR clamps above. I can mount two cameras side by side and adjust the angle toward the subject easily--great for comparing lenses or covering the same subject with lenses of different length.<br>

The thing is that the setup is unwieldy and you have to have a good, heavy, tripod with a heavy-duty head.</p>