RB67 ProSD.. should I buy it.

jim_peterson2

<p>First a bit of background. Over the last year or so I have totally gotten into medium format film photography and feel that it has added a lot of fun to my photography hobby. Before that I was shooting DSLR and just dabbled a bit in 35mm film. I still do a lot with the DSLR, but love the MF film stuff too and have shot just over 30 rolls of 120 in the last 12 months.<br>

Next, a confession... I am a bit of a gear hog. I love actually taking photos and do a lot of it, but willingly confess to also simply enjoying the equipment itself.<br>

The initial incentive for MF cameras was the incredibly cheap prices. I now own and use 3 Bronicas (ETRs, SQ-A, GS-1), 2 Pentaxes (6x7, 645) and 1 Mamiya (645Pro TL). I didn't pay more than $100 for any one of those cameras, and every additional lens (I have quite a few) has also been under $100. I don't expect to ever be able to afford a Hasselblad (or Contax), and I'm not really into rangefinders or TLRs so I feel like I'm just about done. But the one last body I really want is the RB67. I prefer that to the RZ just because I like the idea of an all mechanical camera and they are a lot cheaper. There are plenty of RB first and second generation bodies out there for less than $100 and the standard lenses are of a similar price. But here is my quandary.<br>

At a local store they have an unopened, new in the box RB67 ProSD set for just over $500. It includes the 120 back, waistlevel VF and standard 127mm lens. And it is brand new! I am feeling severely tempted but it is much more expensive than all the rest of my MF stuff so it would be a big departure from my policy and a serious stretch on the pocketbook. And yet I am quite sure that it would see a lot of use and the Mamiya people have assured me that they will continue to service this camera for a long time. I already own a metered prism VF that would work with it, so I would really be set to go if I grabbed this one...<br>

Please help me decide!</p>

<p>How important is that "unopened, new in the box" for you? I would give it a miss, there are sooo many inexpensive, used RB/RZs available. And I would consider to sell the GS-1 as well as the Pentax 645 because your Mamiya SLRs pretty much replace them...</p>

<p>Then again, have you ever thought about <em>vintage</em> SLRs? Cameras like the Reflex-Korelle, KW Pilot Super, Primarflex, Norita 66 or Kowa Six are not that expensive, either, and are quite a joy to use, too.</p>

<p>Is it a KL lens? I think the price is on the edge and will be a loss once you take it out of the store. On the other hand, it will be new and should give you many years of great service. I had one I bought in 1980 and used it for almost 20 years as a Pro (lots of hard use) and it was still like new when I sold it. I like new and knowing my cameras and lenses, but for your way of doing things, it might be a bit of a push $$ wise--but a great camera to own.</p>

<p>OK, so if you pass fwd the contact info and i'll buy it!</p>

<p>OK, just kidding - please don't tempt me further! Yes, i'd snap it up and not think twice - and sell the other MF cameras as needed to fund it.</p>

<p>A NEW IN THE BOX RB67 Pro-SD body/WLF/BACK?!?/lens - for $500 - that's a sweet deal. If the lens is a K/L and you're not partial to those, you could easily trade/sell it for whatever variation you'd otherwise prefer.</p>

<p>Since you asked... don't buy it. The camera sounds nice, but why... it's not what you really want and it probably won't be any better or more useful than the gear you already have.</p>

<p>But since I suspect it is "guilt" over really, really wanting it that makes you ask total strangers for personal advice... run, don't walk, and slap that credit card down ASAP!</p>

<p>New unopened in the box? BUY IT! I assure you it will bring you lots of pleasure, more than your money's worth.<br>

If you ever need servicing, there are a few guys like me that will never let an RB sit dead on a shelf.</p>

The more you say, the less people listen.

<p>Paul - you're my "RB67 Safety Net"! I have a similar Safety Net with my Minolta manual cameras too and very much appreciate you guys! It's reassuring to know there are Pro's available to keep these superb machines humming along. Thanks for all your insightful contributions.</p>

<p>Jim - i hope you snagged that prize! However, i also understand the need to keep budgets in mind and if it's not within budget variance i don't want to add salt to an open wound. I'm thinking since you're asking us all that it's not entirely outta the ballpark hence my encouragements.</p>

<p>I can tell you that from my 1st handling of an RB67 'til now that i've become an owner i felt probably much the same as you (and probably similar budget constraints!) really liking them, but not sure how it figures into "things". However, over the last few months i took the plunge and bought a KEH EX RB67 Pro-S knowing i would have to build my system over time requiring patience. I did the same thing with my Minolta 35mm gear and wouldn't how change i did it.</p>

<p>Next i found a back (at a great price), then most recently a Sekor C 180mm and just last night a Sekor C 65mm in excellent condition. Patience pays off.</p>

<p>I've sold some of my "beloved" 35mm Minolta gear to get into this system and plan on selling a bit more. The 1st time i handled my RB with my 180mm on it there was an immediate connection. I don't even have the back yet as it's still on it's way to me so i don't even have the complete "picture". I'm an American, but live in SE Europe and it's *challenging* for things to actually get to me (time in travel and potential 'pitfalls' along the way) so i'll wait to pick this lens up when i return home in a few weeks - I CAN HARDLY WAIT!</p>

<p>Thanks for all the valuable input.<br>

I went through my closet and grabbed a whole bunch of old stuff to sell and headed down to the store today. I ended up selling the Pentax 645 & 75mm & 150mm. I also sold a couple of old Minolta 35mm film bodies (I'm keeping my 7 and 9 though), and a DiMage A1 that i had lying around. I sold 3 other lenses (Minolta 100-300, Pentax 6x7 105/2.4 and Pentax SMC Tak 50/1.4), a Minolta flash (I still have 3 more!) and a Sony dual battery charger. They gave me just under $300 for the whole lot so I was able to pick up the RB for right around $200! I'm thinking I would have spent almost that much buying an older one and getting a lens on it. <br>

Now I am the very giddy owner of a brand spanking new RB67 Pro SD with the newest version of the 127mm lens, waist level VF and 120 back. I can't wait to get some film it in and start having fun. But I'm really crunched with work for the next several days so it will have to wait a bit. In the mean time I'll be reading the manuals. The back and lens came with multi-lingual manuals but the English is really bad, so I'll just work my way through the original Japanese stuff.<br>

I didn't sell any of the Bronica stuff because they just weren't offering enough money for it. And besides, I think the GS-1 will serve a very different purpose than the RB67. I'm envisioning the GS-1 to be a walk around 6x7 for handheld shooting, similar to the SQ-A and ETRs that I use. It is much lighter and more compact than the Mamiya, and with the speed grip it handles very similar to a 35mm body. I guess the question is how much use my Asahi Pentax 6x7 is going to get now... but it is such a unique camera that I can't see letting go of it just yet.</p>

<p>Oh I am sorry did I say to buy it.......now you must carry it back. See how much they will refund you. You may take a big loss, but that's okay. Film cameras are so yesterday.......they will never catch on, dump them all.</p>

<p>I bet you will enjoy this purchase, good luck, great find.</p>

<p>You are going to junk everything you have left in the closet once you start seeing the negatives. Also what makes this camera unique from all the others beside the bellows, is the rotating back. No more flipping it over, just a twist and done.</p>

<p>BTW the bellows gives you an extra 43mm of extension so your lenses will focus much closer than your other cameras making most of your lenses semi macro.</p>

<p>Read the manual carefully, get use to handeling it. And just remeber one very important thing.. DON'T FORCE IT!<br>

If for some strage reason the camera isn't working... STOP, THINK. You must have done something wrong. Don't ever force it or you will break it for certain. I make it my business repairing forced broken cameras. I don't want your business!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>You bought what I feel is the best medium format camera/lens combo ever made. I bought the same combo last year off Ebay for $750. All of KEH's "New" and "Like New" Mamiya RB KL lenses are BRAND NEW and about 80% to 90% off (yes, OFF) their selling prices of a decade ago.<br>

<br /> Do whatever you need to do to buy yourself some new lenses for your RB - which in my opinion is perhaps the finest camera system ever made for potraiture.<br>

<br /> Congratulations and stop trading and stay with the Mamiya RB.</p>

<p>Jim ...<br>

Take it from Satan Jim, you know you need another toy.<br>

Face it, you're in too deep to turn back now.<br>

You know the right thing to do.<br>

Just do it Jimmy.</p>

<p>Take it from Angel Jim, you need another body like a hole in the head.<br>

Don't listen to the dark side and become Darth Gearhead.<br>

Save yourself from cam acquisition tailspin (CAT).<br>

The RB67 is too heavy to take out of studio.<br>

A Mamiya anagram = "Maim Ya".<br>

The Devil is in anagrams.</p>

<p>Satan/Angel Jim M.</p>

<div>00XWUp-292509584.jpg.690c86e420f090503712a39cfd6a9ccd.jpg</div>

<p>So if I am going to acquire more lenses (certainly no rush!) is it worth the money to go for the K/L versions or are the C versions just as good.<br>

From what I've read, the official line is that K/L and C are optically identical and the only difference is the mount... (ring or no ring). But anecdotally I've heard that QC is better on the K/L lenses... <br>

What is the general verdict among seasoned RB users out there?<br>

I can see myself eventually maybe getting one longer lens (180mm or 250mm) and one wider lens (50mm, 65mm, or 75mm)</p>

<p>Uh oh, the "K/L lens superiority" question!!! OK, i'm gonna get some popcorn and watch this one from the sidelines. Munch munch...</p>

<p>I'm not a seasoned RB user in any way - on the contrary a complete Mamiya newb. However, i have been painstakingly researching this question and related topics for about a year. Based on the vast majority of everything i found (reading probably 100+ posts/threads dating as far back as 12years and asking a few professional photographers who use the RB) I opted to buy, as best as i can tell, EXC/Mint copies of C lenses.</p>

<p>I have found a variance in C lenses - particularly in the 65mm. There seems to be one variant (earlier?) which does not have a floating element whereas there is one (newer?) which does. Then again, i could be wrong, but in my "Lenses for Mamiya" which came with my 180mm, the illustration for the 65mm looks like a shorter version of my 180mm. However, i *just* bought a 65mm which looks completely different and from my looking around, it seems it has a floating element sorta like the 50mm.</p>

<p>BTW, for me (i prefer "normal" and wide focal lengths) through my viewfinder, the 180mm doesn't seem that long/telephoto. I'd bet the 250mm is though.</p>

<p>A. Common misconception many inexperienced photographers have is that a len's age is insignificant. The truth is lenses do not have an infinite life span. Geneally the older a lens, the more internal organic growths and chance for same.<br>

<br /> Just keep it sane and simple. Mamiya has discontinued manufacturing RB bodies and RB lenses. Buy the newest samples of these you can get your hands on. That means going with the KL lenses.</p>

<p>Hi all,<br>

I just bought an RB67 outfit on eBay (body, 3 backs, 127 and 180mm lenses, WL and prism finders, extension tube #1). I unpacked it last night and intend to put it thru its paces this weekend.<br>

Is there a best way to hand hold this beast using the eye-level finder?<br>

Are Graflex roll film holders compatible with it?</p>

<p>Momary, that is one hell of an RB on steroids ya got there good buddy. I love the carry all it's on too. Better than hand held hey?<br>

I'm not going to get sucked into a lens argument, I'\m only the 300lb Gorilla in the rooom. But, I'll leave you with this...</p>

<p>LFers are killing for 100 year old lenses.<br>

Brass shutters are more reliable n reapirable than stamped steel n plastic.</p>

<p>Must be something to it?</p>

<p> </p>