Wedding video from DLSR's not too hot

steve_hovland

<p>Are these camera's really working for video at weddings?<br>

I looked up some fusion photography on youtube last night and saw some wedding videos where the camera person was having trouble keeping things in focus and was wobbling on pans etc.<br>

I think various pocket cameras that focus continuously or dedicated camcorders are really better at this run and gun work. What say you?</p>

<p>I think it really depends on the camera operator.</p>

<p>Gear setup matters too; it's fairly involved to get a dSLR to make usable cinematic quality videos - a steady mount if stationary, or <a href="http://www.google.ca/images?hl=en&expIds=17259,26885,26993,27006&xhr=t&q=steadicam&cp=4&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1920&bih=982">steadicam</a>, rigged with <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Follow_focus">follow focus</a>, plus external high quality stereo audio. Not trivial, but can be spectacular if done properly.</p>

<p>When a company like Canon, Sony, or Panasonic — companies who know how to make video cameras with the features necessary for production — puts one of these large sensors into a camera with the correct ergonomics, balanced audio (xlr) inputs, timecode with time of day and record run options, 'raw'-like workflow, lenses with a long throw for focus pulling, balanced placement of mounting screw, etc, etc, etc, those cameras will be the real game changers.<br>

Without these very basic features, using DSLRs for video requires making stuff stand on its head while shooting and adds several layers of problems in post.</p>

<p>It can be done, but you're hammering screws.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I've said it before and I'll say it again - if I want to shoot video - I'll get a Video Cameracorder. If I want to shoot stills - I'll use a DSLR.</p>

<p>The adding of video to DSLR's is a gimmick at best. Designed for those who want a quick 30 second clip for youtube or facebook. </p>

<p>There is no way I'd try to shoot an entire wedding video hand-held with a Nikon D300s or similar camera - at a minimum you'd need lights, mics, tripod, etc... Yet this is exactly what people are trying to do with the DSLR's that do video.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>The one from JoeSimonProductions is much better than average. I was interested to note that he had mikes on both groom and officiant - good redundancy. Capturing ceremony audio I think is one of the trickier parts.<br>

Many wedding videos I've seen are a boring succession of pan and tilt shots that go on too long.<br>

The best I've seen was from some guy in San Diego whose name I can't recall, but he obviously had some background in cinematography.<br>

I recommend books like Setting Up Your Shots and Master Shots to learn different ways to compose moving scenes. Even the fight shots can inspire good moves for wedding videos.</p>

<p>Although I prefer a real camcorder when doing video, there are times when some kind of video is better than none.<br>

One of the events I photographed this summer was a gathering for a man who was dying of cancer.<br>

At one point he started showing us and telling us how his hobby of beekeeping had turned into a passion and a business for him.<br>

I shot a lot of pictures with my DSLR, but I still regret not having my pocket camera with video along that day.</p>

• 5 months later...