Nikon 50 1.8 overexposure problems

greg_dooley

<p>Having overexposure problems with my Nikon 50 mm 1.8 lens on the D90. My exposures are getting washed out about 2 stops or more overexposed. It seems to be extremely bad when photographing people, I havn't had this problem with my other lens. I don't know if there is something wrong with the lens or what is going on. All settings are normal and have tried it on all different settings and nothing seems to fix the problem, other then underexposing by more then 2 stops. Has anyone else had this problem or is there a setting or something causing the overexposure. Thanks</p>

<p>

<p>If the problem is with the lens, it would suggest the lens is not stopping down. A quick an dirty check would be to set the aperture <strong>on the camera </strong>to say f/11 and press the DOF preview button. Does the viewfinder darken? If it does not, the lens is not stopping down. If it does, the lens is stopping down, but it does not tell if it is to the selected value.

<p>

<p>

<p>

<p>A more refined test is to go to aperture priority. Set the lens wide opened (all apertures selected on the camera, not the lens which must be set to f/22) and expose. Is the exposure correct? Now set the aperture down one stop and expose. Is the exposure correct? Set the aperture down two stop and expose. Note where the problem starts to occur.

<p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

<p>I've had this kind of problems with my 50/1.8. As i found out aperture blades were little sticky & didn't close as fast as they need to. Washing them with isopropyl alcohol solved problem.<br>

Hope it helps.<br>

Dissasembling this particular lens is pretty straightforward.</p>

<p>its probably sticking aperture blades, which is easy to see if you stop the lens down and hold it up the light and flicking the lever by hand, you should see the blades closing instantly, without hestation. Slightest hesitation and means they are sticking. No, I would not recommend DIY jobs on any lens if you ever want to use that lens again !</p>

<p>Thanks for the help. I will check the aperture and see if they are sticking. It is a brand new lens. I have had for about 2 months and this seems to be a new problem. Is this common in new lens -- are they more likely to stick if they have not been used for awhile or sitting on a shelf for a long time. </p>