Nikkormat Batteries

dale_weiss

<p>I recently acquired two Nikkormat cameras. One is the FT2 and the other is the FTN. Both take different sized batteries. Now, can someone give me the numbers of the modern batteries that can be used in these cameras and the cross reference numbers. I have been to Radio Shack and have run into a brick wall. Thanks</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I have been to Radio Shack and have run into a brick wall.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You should have tried the door.</p>

<p>The FT2 uses a still made 1.5 volt SR44 or S76 cell. The FTN took a 1.3 volt mercury cell which is no longer made but there are alternatives such as using a 1.4 volt zinc air cell as used in hearing aids, a silver oxide cell in an adaptor or modifying the camera by placing a schottky diode in series with the cell connection internally.</p>

<p>Some info here: <a href="http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikkormat/html/index.htm">http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikkormat/html/index.htm</a></p>

<p>Some years ago I bought adapters made by a Dutchman whose name I forget. They were hollowed out PX 625 shells which could hold SR 44 cells, with a diode to reduce the 1.5V of silver oxide to the 1.35V of mercury. I have a PDF file which explains how to make the things. Steve Smith has put you on the right track.</p>

<p>The FT-2 uses a silver or alkaline battery. The FTN uses a silver or alkaline battery with a spacer (try an O ring from hardware store). On the FTN you must experiment with a known meter and turn the ISO down one or more stops. I generally get away with ISO 200 with ISO 400 print film in these cameras that at one time called for the now illegal mercury power(#625).</p>

<p>The mercury cell's output voltage stayed pretty much the same throughout its lifetime. The "discharge curve" of the silver oxide cell is also flat. The alkaline cell, however, is not a good replacement as its output voltage falls continuously as it is used. It's okay for toys and lights, but with a meter its readings will be wrong by an unknown amount.</p>

<p>If the FTN is going to get light use, I would go for the hearing aid battery and rubber o-ring solution, but if you plan to use it consistently I would buy a CRIS adapter so you can use modern silver button cells in it. The adapters are rather expensive, however.</p>

Not a real solution but a rationalization.. true true the adapter with the diode to use the silver-oxide batteries is the ideal solution but expensive..so.. buy more cameras that use such a battery to justify the cost and use it i nthe other models..

Nikon isn't the only camera that used these mercury cells by far!!