New Hampshire/Vermont fall color

Rod Sorensen

<p>I have never been able to get to the northeast during fall colors, but it looks like I'll make it this year. Going to a meeting in Quebec City where I will drive after flying into Boston. Then will drive back to the US around Oct. 9 for three days of fall color shooting. I'm assuming that the best driving route is the interstates through New Hampshire and northeast Vermont. I'm also assuming that my best use of time would be to do my shooting in New Hampshire. Please tell me if my timing should be about right and where some good New Hampshire locations would be. Thanks in advance. Rod</p>

<p>I used to live near New York City and went to New England to photograph the foliage every year. Usually I pick the 2nd week of October, but the best timing varies a bit each year. October 9 should be a good time, but you may need to concentrate on areas of lower elevation or close to the Atlantic coast, where the foliage turns a bit later. At high elevation, it could be past peak already and it gets ugly very quickly. Along the Maine coast, the best time is usually mid October.</p>

<p>There are various web sites that show current foliage conditions. Check the conditions then.</p>

<p>I'm going to be in that area between 10/15 and 10/25. You may be a bit early for peak color, so I would plan look further north for the best color, but have a plan B to go further south if the color comes early this fall.<br>

I would stay OFF the interstates. The state highways are very nice roads and you will get local color, e.g. covered bridges, farms, horses, etc. My last trip to that area, coming in from mid-state PA I drove Hwy 209 thru the Delaware Watergap and into NY all the way into Albany. Then a bit of interstate until I got off on 4, then 22, the 74 into Middlebury, VT, (where I went to the Morgan Horse Farm). Then I went over a pass (I think I might have gone thru Woodstock?) into the Sunupe Lake area of NH. I drove that part at night, and took sunrise photos at Sunapee Lake. Then I went down into the Mason NH area for a day, then back thru MA/CT/NY to PA. I did not get to Boston on either of my previous trips to New England in the fall - its on my list for this trip, for sure!<br>

You can see some of my photos at:<br>

http://portfolio.jcdill.com/2008/October-2008-1/7085042_HverX#454133730_LKYtx</p>

<p>Use an interstate to get to an area and then get onto the rural local roads. Around Oct 9 I'd expect southern Vt to be good, but check New England foliage web sites right up to the last minute. As you have been told, the color will progress from north to south and from higher elevation to lower.</p>

<p>Vt has more rural roads and the local foliage is far more accessible than in northern NH - the color in NH is great but more remote and requires more hiking to reach. So if the best color is to the north, you'll be choosing between the small towns with foliage in Vt and more remote foliage with much less evidence of mankind in NH. If the color is to the south, it will small towns in both states, but southern Vt is more scenic IMHO (the fact that I grew up there hasn't influenced my opinion. Really. No, really).</p>

<p>If the foliage is really early, western Mass could be very good at that time. Good combination of colonial towns and the Berkshire Mountains. This is why you need to watch the foliage reporting web sites right up to the last minute.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>As Dave said, around 9 October is generally best for mid NH and Vermont. I'm in the lakes region of NH and we are already starting to get quite a bit of color. Because we had so little rain this year, it looks like early, muted colors followed by rapid dropping of the leaves will be the norm for New England. </p>