E5 official release

analox

<p>Jeff, I think the Canon DSLRs are generally a bit over-priced. I managed to bargain with the sales guy at Beach Camera and was able to acquire a new 7D and an 18-135mm EF-S Canon lens, all for $1,599.00, no tax and free shipping. Had I purchased the same in the local Atlanta market, I would have been hit with $1,699.00 for the body and another $499.00 for the same zoom lens, a total of $2,198.00. And then there's the state tax to Uncle George.</p>

<p>Getting back on the subject: Yes, I agree that the E-series DSLRs are promising and can easily compete with the like models of its competitors, namely Nikon and Canon. And, like yourself, I find myself using two different systems. </p>

<p>However, the Olympus 4/3 sensor of the E-5 seems to be stuck at 12.3 mp and for the price, it does not meet up with the features/specifications of the lower price of its competitors such as the 18mp of the Canon 7D. The 7D allows me to shoot sports at 8 fps and the E-30/E-5 is max'd out at 5 fps. I can shoot at a maximum of 12800 ISO with less noise than the E-series at their highest ISO. </p>

<p>Don't get me wrong; the E-3 and E-30 are great for backup to the Canon 7D when shooting special events, portraits, and weddings. I did have an incident (my fault) whereby I did not format the Compact Flash memory card and the 7D gave me an E2 error and locked up after about 150 images shot. With no other memory card (again my fault) I had to resort to my Olympus E-30 as the backup.</p>

<p>One of the best features of the E-3 and E-30 is the built-in Image Stabilization. I can use my legacy OM glass such as the Zuiko 55mm f/1.2 and even adapted Carl Zeiss 80mm Planar T* (Hasselblad to 4/3 adapter) and get "Tack Sharp" images. The weakness of the APS-C camera is the soft focus with the same adapted lenses.</p>

<p>Outside of these two camera systems, I can still use the same Metz 45CL-4 flash and lighting system.</p>

<p>Undoubtedly, there are still some shortcomings with the Olympus E-series of which I have addressed. But overall, I'm satisfied with most of the expectations of the E-3 and E-30. But at this time, I see no reason to spend $1,700 for an E-5 body. If they lower the price to the same of the current E-3 price, then there may be some consideration to make a purchase. And it would be a backup to the Canon 7D.</p>

<p>Don't kick yourself quite yet...</p>

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I would like to point out that the E5 is releasing at the same price it's predecessor was sold for until the last about year and a half or so. Which is relatively low compared to it's competitors. I can't believe there is so much whining over the price, and not just in this thread but in others as well. <br />With such a small sensor they've already maxed out pixel count. If they could fit more, I'm sure they would. I'm not going to complain though, 12.3 is more than enough. Olympus cameras are built around those sensors. They're not about to changing them anytime soon. It's part who they are and what they do, right along with their Zuiko lenses... <br />I for one will be decided which kidney I can do without so that I can get my hands on the long awaited model as soon as possible. I'm more than stoked about the E5, and no one will bring me down from that. I'm a die-hard Olympus fan, and they've far from let me down on this camera. Looking forward to the day I get to have my new E5 join my E500 and OM1 family!</p>

<p>Lacey,</p>

<p>The initial price offerrings are always high by Olympus, and I always waited for about a year to see the prices drop to a reasonable amount. Heck, there's nothing wrong in getting a used E-5 in a year of so. Why do I say "used?"</p>

<p>Similar to the E-3, there are going to be a few dissatisfied users who sell early and switch to the competitor. When a new E-3 body was going for $1,200, I happened to find a used body (LN) at KEH for $989.00 and it included the entire assembly of boxed items.</p>

<p>The same will happen with the E-5. The market drives the pricing. And, when the competitor currently has a model that offers the same primary features/specifications that are better at a lower price, then it's obvious... the price will soon drop to a level that makes the E-5 competitive.</p>

<p>Olympus is trying to milk the cow and get the curious and highly expectant loyal Olympians to make a biased decision to purchase without reason. The loyalist purchase because it's the latest and greatest toy, whether to impress their fellow Olympians, truly make a slight upgrade, or think the video feature will suffice.</p>

<p>Some people think that the 12.3 mega pixel is enough, and for most amateurs or semi-pros this is generally the case. I shoot portraits and weddings, and I find myself having to crop my images. In my case, an 18mp is needed for cropping, better resolution, less noise and larger prints. And all of this, including faster frames per second, came at a lower price.</p>

<p>In the discussions within these forums, several people voiced their concerns for the next pro-level Olympus model. I expected Olympus would find a means to getting the next model up to 15 mp, eliminate some of the noise issues at the higher ISOs, and enhance other primary features. At this time, it's undetermined whether the noise issue and the resolution has been improved. I always viewed images from the E-30 (12.3mp) as better than the E-3 (10.1mp).</p>

<p>Now.., is it really worth a kidney? :)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Yes, the person behind the camera matters, but only up to a point. I shoot a lot of sports-action photos and no amount of talent in the world will make the autofocus on my E-500 focus fast enough. The vast majority of the sports shots I took on a couple of assignments were out of focus. When I began using Canon gear (including the 70-200mm f2.8 zoom) I had virtually no shots (out of thousands) that were out of focus.</p>

<p>Ken "Max"<br />Ok, that comment was a joke :) , but yes! Yes it is! For me, absolutely! I'm not a wishy washy person. I stand my ground, and I don't back down. I find what I like and I stick with it. I am a loyalist, but I am that way because of the product they produce. (And I'm not just talking cameras here.) In this case I find Olympus to be far superior for my application. As far as crop factor, I don't do a lot of that anyway. A little here and there, but nothing huge. I keep the majority of the image I shoot, not much by way of wasted space. Because of the sensor I have double the focal length that you get in the Canon, etc. And you won't catch me dead shooting a wedding. Not for me. I hate weddings with a passion. Didn't even go to my own! lol</p>

<p>Lacey, I got a good laugh about your wedding comments. I guess it's easy to say, "Either a photographer hates to shoot weddings or loves it." </p>

<p>One can't really go wrong with Olympus. If I were looking for my first DSLR and have all of these OM legacy lenses, yes, I would seriously look at the E-5 as a possible purchase.</p>

<p>Good luck to your next DSLR purchase and non-wedding shoots. :)</p>

<p>So far, this forum on the new Olympus E-5 seems to have two basic views.</p>

<p>One, being that Olympus has produced a new pro version to take the place of the E-3 and yet has not met the needs of the semi-pro to professional level photographers. And, has offered the E-5 at a price considered to be much more than what they feel is worth the cost.</p>

<p>The second basic view seems to originate from those who claim to be loyal to the Olympus name, regardless of the new features in comparison with the competitors and pricing. </p>

<p>Personally, I’ll wait to see what they produce in the E-7. Until then, I will continue to use two different DSLR systems, Canon 7D for the weddings and portraits and the Olympus E-3 and E-30 for landscapes, HDR, and general purpose photography… and of course as a backup.</p>

<p>I am in a slightly different position. I am an amateur interested in nature, landscapes, macro, and occasional low light images. I do rarely print images and when I do normally not larger than A4. I use a Leica Digilux-3 (7.5 mp DSLR) and a Leica Dlux-2 (8 mp compact).<br>

What I am missing is a body that is splash and dust-proof and can take knocks when I go birding or take it on holidays. A must-have is good raw image quality (no softness) and crisp Jpgs (with good tonality). Image quality should be as good as the Digilux-3 including great detail capture, dynamic range, and a very acceptable noise profile.<br>

I would like to re-use my lenses (Oly 50-200mm SWD, 50mm f2, 7-14mm f4, Leica 25mm f1.4, Leica 14-50mm f2.8, EC20, EX25), the FL50 flash and keep using my SD cards. I would like to future-proof my lenses i.e. have a new camera body that will last long especially since I do not know what the future holds for four-third DSLRs. Will there be another FT body from Olympus?<br>

Just out of curiosity I held an E620 in my hands today and had some of my hand left over – my hands are not small but they are also not large and a workhorse has to sit well in ones’ hands. I am a bit concerned about this micro-FT trend towards “doll cameras”. Do not get me wrong I have nothing against a small travel camera that can produce quality images but when small-bodies become the next ‘fad’ that everyone follows I am concerned. They should be niche-products. <br>

Funding for a 2nd DSLR is not an issue (no divorce to be threatened :-), so I could go for an E-5 or E-3 or sell all my lenses and D3 and start with a new system that includes weather-proofing and great image quality. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Michael </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Olympus shies away from consigning Four Thirds DSLRs to history, but the firm has hinted that this may be the last Four Thirds model. <br /><br />'We will continue to do these [Four Thirds cameras] until micro cameras can do what other products can,' said Olympus UK's Consumer Products marketing manager Mark Thackara. <br /><br />'All cameras will be mirrorless in the future.'</p>

</blockquote>

<p><a href="http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Olympus_E5_The_last_Four_Thirds_DSLR_camera_news_301801.html">link<br /></a></p>

<p> </p>

<p>Micro 4/3s will take over the high end 4/3? You mean to say the 4/3 DSLRs will become a dinosaur in the near future? It's a good thing I bought into the Canon 7D system. No more accessories or lenses for my E-3 and E-30; there's no need to purchase equipment for something that will be extinct in a few short years. Sheesh.</p>

<p>There will have to be some major improvements to the micro4/3 such as longer battery life, faster response to the EVF for action shots, and high sequence capabilities.</p>

<p>Dropping the 4/3 models in favor of the micro4/3 appears to be a divorce from the serious semi-pro and/or professional photographers.</p>

<p>I hope this rumor is not true and that Olympus will produce an E-7 model.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I like the upgrade and if I can get my hands on this model I definately will. I'm a Canon user and I rarely shoot over 800 ISO, so noise is the least of my worries. I rather turn to the positives concerning the E5. A digital camera that you can take out in any type of weather(rain, snow, sleet, or hail) . Super Fast AF, superior lenses, live view, sensor cleaning, recirculating LCD(or whatever you call it), movie mode. Double exposure has to be one of my favorites. I don't know about the art filters, but it sure doesn't hurt to have them. This is a great camera, a nice alternative to the tired Canon and Nikon line who seem to borrow everything from Olympus. </p>

<p>Harry... check out the Canon 7D... and you'll see that it's not the standard or "tired" EOS model. That's why I didn't bother with the 50D. It has the same basic features as compared the E-5, and better video, higher resolution, more mega-pix (18), faster frames per second, and other enhanced features yet to be had on the E-5. AND all of this at a lower cost and before the E-5 was conceived.</p>

<p>I waited and waited for Olympus to come out with a better resolution camera and higher mega-pix for larger prints and cropping ability... I had to come to the reality that Olympus 4/3 sensor has reached its max of 12.3 mega-pixels . The introduction of the E-5 proved this at a date beyond that of the 7D. Timing is always of the essence.</p>

<p>Don't get me wrong, I still shoot with the E-3 and E-30. I love Zuiko glass. I also fell for the art filters; they're very handy in certain situations. I also adapted OM legacy lenses and my favorite Hasselblad glass to the Olympus cameras. But when I have a wedding shoot, these DSLRs become a backup to the Canon 7D. For me, the E-5 would be an expensive upgraded backup camera.</p>

<p>If I did not have the E-3 and E-30, I would most likely acquire the E-5... unfortunately... I can't see this as being a good marketing design in an attempt to sway existing users to this model, unless the initial price offering substantially drops in the near future. I suspect this will happen because of Oly's competition.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>"It has the same basic features as compared the E-5" ?<br />Ken are you saying that the resolution of the E-5/E-3 is vastly inferior to that of the Canon semi-pro cameras ? Or maybe only in low light situations. Why would you want to use this camera as a backup, it has plenty of features that can enhance any wedding. That is one of the reason why I am interested in purchasing it ! Low-light, natural shots are great, but this gets tiresome after a while. Currently, I own a 30D and a 5D and I'm looking to purchase a 7D, but the real reason I want to purchase the E5 does not have much to do with resolution and low-light situations. <br />I like the fact that I can take the camera in any type of weather(snow, sleet, rain, dust, heat, and cold) and not have to worry. I have often been caught in sudden rain storms where the only protection was a nearby tree(then I had to worry about the lightning) .<br />I like the idea of multiple exposures and the swivel LCD. I kind a like the idea of in-camera stabilization. The in-camera filters sound like a lot of fun to me. One of them even mimics HDR ! This is the type of camera you can go out and have some fun with and not worry about pixel peeping, the weather and other nonsense.<br />I got to admit the price is pretty high right now, but with just one lens(or 2), I'm talking about the 12-60mm you can handle practicaly any situation.</p>

<p>Ken<br>

Here's the whole quote from that <a href="http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Olympus_E5_The_last_Four_Thirds_DSLR_camera_news_301801.html">link</a>: </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Olympus shies away from consigning Four Thirds DSLRs to history, but the firm has hinted that this may be the last Four Thirds model. <br /><br />'We will continue to do these [Four Thirds cameras] until micro cameras can do what other products can,' said Olympus UK's Consumer Products marketing manager Mark Thackara. <br /><br />'All cameras will be mirrorless in the future.' <br /><br />Olympus Europe spokeswoman Franziska Jorke cited the autofocus and burst rate of DSLRs as still being superior to Micro Four Thirds models, along with the optical viewfinders. <br /><br />When challenged by AP, Olympus shrugged off the possibility that equipping all future system cameras with an EVF will alienate existing E-system DSLR users. <br /><br />'At some point someone has to draw a line in the sand… We will continue to support that [E-system] until other technology catches up,' said Thackara. <br /><br />Jorke predicted that the concept of a camera 'will change in 5-10 years'. <br /><br />However, in a bid to reassure photo enthusiasts, she said there will always be an Olympus camera body available – whether a DSLR or another type of camera altogether – to allow users to benefit from current Four Thirds lenses.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>They are designing a whole new camera...<br>

Another quote from this <a href="http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Olympus_E5__editorial_comment_news_301804.html">link</a>:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>It's pretty important we understand exactly what the message is from Olympus at this stage. The company is not saying directly that the Olympus E-5 is the last camera it will produce that uses an optical viewfinder, and it is being pretty clear that whatever happens in the future, current E-system Four Thirds users will always have a body available that makes the most of their fine Zuiko lenses. What Mr Terada is saying, though, is that Olympus plans to do away with optical viewfinders when it thinks EVF technology is good enough.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The important thing to take away from this is that they are designing a new camera that still supports their current Zuiko lenses whether it be a DSLR or some new mirrorless type of camera.</p>

<p>Harry, you could get a Pentax K5 that does the same things with better IQ. And Pentax might still be in the DSLR business in 5 years, something that cannot be said for Olympus. Their SLR's have lagged behind the competition from the beginning. Olympus's future is in the EVIL market. </p>

<p >Harry, there has yet to be any official head-to-head comparisons of the Olympus E-5 to that of the Canon 7D. We do know that the sensor used in the E-5 is the same as the E-30. However there is a different post-processor in the E-5. Weather this enhances the resolution to that equal or better than that of the Canon 7D has yet to be determined.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I purposely used the word “basic” in saying “basic features.” None of the Canon high end models use art filters and I consider this NOT a “basic feature” of any make or model. But when we compare the basic features, the Canon 7D seems to be advantageous, such as higher pix, 18 as compared to 12.3;this usually equates to better resolution and higher degree of cropping factor. This is the primary means of quality images often sought after by serious semi-pros and professionals without the so-called “pixel peeping.”</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Both DSLRs are weather proof; hence, they can be used in snow, rain, and other forms of inclement weather. One doesn't have to run to a tree to avoid the harsh weather conditions, and I'm not quite sure what you mean by the term “other nonsense.”</p>

<p > </p>

<p >The Canon 7D has faster frames per second when shooting high sequence, 8 fps as compared to the E-5's 5fps. Consequently when shoot rapid sequences such as in sports or even some wedding situations, this is a basic feature that most serious semi-pro and professionals desire.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >When it comes to the comparison of in-camera stabilization to that of in-lens stabilization, there are no differences in quality of images. I have yet to read any reviews that suggest one type of stabilization is better than the other. Unless of course you may enlighten us with some form of stabilization peeping.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >The Canon 7D, released Sept. 2009, has higher resolution in HD movie mode for those who desire to shoot video. And all of this at a lower price than the newly released Olympus E-5.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Both the Olympus E-30 and Canon 7D have been used on the same photo assignments and seem to offer the same mount of “fun.” I have yet to figure out how to measure this “basic feature” (sarcasm).</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I'm not trying to be argumentative, but simply show that an older make and model has better “basic features” than that of the newly released E-5 and at a lower price. I find it disappointing that Olympus could not at least match the “basic features” of its competitors.</p>

<p>Lacey,</p>

<p>Optical view finder seems to be the way to go. I've played with the EVF of the E-1 and it can't handle fast motion, great if your subject isn't moving. Olympus will have to greatly improve the EVF.</p>

<p>Because the EVF uses power from the battery, it decreases battery life faster than that of the DSLRs. Again, battery charge/usage will have to become greatly improved. </p>

<p>It appears that Olympus is giving up on competing against Nikon and Canon, especially the high-end DSLR cameras. And in so doing, they seem to aim their market at general purpose consumers. This also seems to resolve the move I recently made in purchasing a Canon 7D. </p>

<p>I still shoot both the E-3 and E-30. I recently did some moon shots with the E-3 because it had a wire remote feature so as to stabilize the shots while mounted on a tripod and with a 120-600mm zoom. Got some great shots.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>In terms of Pentax being around longer than Olympus, I dunno. Remember, Pentax was bought out by Hoya in 2007, primarily for the lens/glass making division, and they got a DSLR and medium format company thrown in with the deal.</p>

<p>While ultimately, I have no idea what happens in Japanese corporate boardrooms, it appeared at least for awhile, Hoya was trying to sell the division, but couldn't find a buyer. Two years ago, Samsung (which sold DSLRs based off of the Pentax designs) might have been the best fit, except perhaps Samsung is Korean based, and there might some older nationalistic sentiment against selling. However, Samsung with the NX-10, NX-100 seems to be going its own way, and there is no longer the synergy between the two. More recently, I've heard that JVC or Sigma might be interested.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, the only safe bet in the DSLR market is Nikon/Canon. Everybody else is single digits in terms of percentage of sales. Right now, it looks like Nikon is in ascendancy (every 10 years or so, Nikon and Canon seem to trade places on who the top dog is going to be, and Canon is losing mindshare and marketshare). One of the reasons I went for Olympus in the first place, was it wasn't one of the big two. Olympus has always been a quirky little company.</p>

<p>Michael,<br>

The reports that Olympus is looking to abandon DSLR future models in favor of their micro E-series seems to be a bit "quirky." It's becoming increasingly obvious that Olympus failed to meet the expectations of most semi-pros and professionals that rely on the E-3 and E-30 models. I was hoping they would introduce an E-5 with the following specifications:</p>

<p>15 mega-pixels.<br>

HD movie mode that would compete with Canon and Nikon at 1920x1080<br>

Option to shoot art filters and normal mode simultaneously.<br>

A fast focus superzoom lens, 14-200mm, f/2.8-4.0<br>

HDR mode that one can preset the bracketing and EV increments<br>

8 frames per second or faster.<br>

The body made somewhere other than in China with a guarantee 150,000 shutter life span.<br>

Battery pack and batteries same as the E-3.<br>

Free RAW converter software. Currently one has to shell out $99.00 to Olympus for the software.</p>

<p>I agree with you about the "safe bet" in Canon and Nikon, at least for the serious semi-profs and professionals. Regardless of percentage of sales, I think Olympus shot themselves in the foot and cannot be seriously taken as a competitor nor reliable in future 4/3 models.</p>

<p>If I were a beginning professional starting out with a studio, shooting weddings, portraits, and other serious assignments, I would have to consider the report that Lacey brought to our attention and lean toward the Nikon or Canon line. </p>

<p>Don't get me wrong, the Olympus E-5, in and of itself, is a good camera for an amateur or even a serious amateur. but Olympus could have made it a better camera in competing against numbers 1 and 2, whomever they are this week or month. And if this is the last of the high-end E-series DSLRs as the report indicates, then that doesn't leave any warm fuzzies for guys like me who have a photography business.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Optical view finder seems to be the way to go.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Just like internal combustion engines and plastic grocery bags seemed to be the way to go. Remember, there was a time when all airplanes had propellers and I'm certain that when someone suggested turbine propulsion folks like Ken raised their hand to voice concern. I'm not knocking the critics, we need them, but I'm the one sitting in the back, excitedly awaiting the next innovation by Olympus and others and I'll reserve my judgement until I have the chance to see it for myself.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Don't get me wrong, the Olympus E-5, in and of itself, is a good camera for an amateur or even a serious amateur</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Please, stop saying things like this. First of all, it's insulting and second, I know many <em>professionals</em> who are very successful using equipment so inferior to the E-5 that it's positively laughable. I've also seen people with far more money than talent using a 1Ds or D3x who couldn't take a decent picture if their life depended on it. My uncle is a professional photographer and he uses a view camera and an RB67... wanna guess how many frames per second those shoot? HDR? HA! Video? Right. My point is that not every <em>professional</em> has the same needs as Ken "Max" Parks. In fact, I would guess that if you pooled 20 professionals together and asked them what their ideal tool was, you would find that their responses were as dissimilar as their attire.</p>

<p>Many of the items on your <em>wish list</em> are either wrong (Olympus Viewer 2, Olympus Master 2, and [ib] are either included in the box or free downloads from Olympus, they don't cost $99), or just strange... What does a superzoom lens have to do with this discussion?</p>

<p> </p>