Canon Thursday Pic 2010: #3

joshroot

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>JDM -- where is Giant City? (too many Y pixels too)<br /> On this page (7) I really think Paul's B&W child shot SHINES. Wonderful.<br /> Dean's 17mm giraffe is highly amusing and Rhett's child close-up is moving.</p>

<p>So many other good works on previous pages!</p>

<p>Illinois, southern Illinois, is the home of Giant City State Park and the scene of many of my recent crimes here on Photo.net. On the wall facing covered with moss, is a graffito from Fremont's Civil War expedition into the area - it may even be genuine. :) Sorry about the Y-pixel measurement, my Bad.</p>

<p>Comments for page 5, images that really caught my eye:<br>

Tom A -- super cute photo of your daughter -- a them this week, young kids and cute portraits of them.<br>

Mike S's B&W -- The Usual suspects ehh? Nice comp.<br>

Dan S's cocktail hour and lovely blonde (and the dude checking her out and the dudes drinking beer straight out of the bottle, horrors!)<br>

Christian -- super cute pose of her. Lovely.</p>

<p>No comments for the other couple on the page as they could improve here or there, but all are worthy, no doubt.</p>

<p>Great work this week!</p>

<p><strong>Page 1</strong><br>

Josh Root - B&G Portrait - Nice use of available light.<br>

Jeff Spirer - Lady Boxers - Perfect timing, tasteful crop.<br>

Louis Meluso - Wheat macro shot - I like the gentle lighting and the delicately balanced composition.<br>

Jeremy Richter - Concrete blocks in water - Was this taken on film? I like where the blocks are located in the frame.<br>

Brad Dash - Train People - Gutsy candid.<br>

Daniel Uhlig - Child in a hot spot - Nice use of light, great expression.<br>

Mike Dixon - Band on stage - Nice light, good use of selective focus.<br>

Dave Collett - Purple flowers - awesome color.<br>

Matti Kari - Three Birds and the Moon - Very abstract and delicate like a Japanese painting.<br>

Jim Service - Bonneville Salt Flats - Great light and interesting comp. Clouds nicely placed. Maybe lighten the foreground object a bit to make it stand out.</p>

<p><strong>Page 2</strong><br>

David Stephens - Squirrel - Very sharp, perfect placement.<br>

karen wiltshire - Butterflies - Nice mirror image effect between the two creatures.<br>

John Crowe - Happy Baby - Excellent soft lighting.<br>

Dan Bloch - Subway Dog - You captured the "decisive moment."<br>

Gil Pruitt - Terrier - Fill flash used? I like how I can see the eyes and facial features.<br>

Ervin Bacik - Credit Cards - Clever use of blown highlights to add abstraction.<br>

Nathan Gardner - Glacier Run-off - You made good use of tough lighting conditions.<br>

DS Meador - Fishing Boat - Delicate light. Early morning?<br>

Wayne Ervine - Silhouetted Rooftops - Sharp detail (antennae, etc.)</p>

<p><strong>Page 3</strong><br>

Eric Shelby - Eiffel Tower Silhouette - Dramatic skies.<br>

Ken Papai - Pt. Reyes Flowers - Excellent color and separation.<br>

Ed V. - Fireworks - Lovely colors, good composition.<br>

Marty Ryan - 7up Sign - Very sharp, and I like how you cropped it.<br>

Ron Davis - Newspaper Boxes - I love the color combinations in a group of boxes like this. You captured them well.<br>

James Gysen - Picnic Squirrel - Amazing eye-to-eye shot with a fast-moving critter.<br>

Justin T - Chocolate Chips - Excellent use of selective focus. Good separation from the dark background.<br>

Mark Kissel - Ripe Apples - I feel as though I could reach out and pick one.</p>

<p><strong>Page 4</strong><br>

Dan M - Lily - The water droplets add a nice touch. Nice light.<br>

Robin Smith - Skateboarders - Very nicely composed.<br>

B Christopher - Gettysburg - A new perfect sunset silhouette. Great skies.<br>

Nick Doronim - Cat Mouth - I think we now know your cat better than his dentist does!<br>

William Kahn - Old Barn - The placement of the sickle bar adds a lot to your composition.<br>

Manuel Barrera - Spider - Wow! That's a close-up!<br>

Matthew Hargreaves - For the Benefit of Mr. Kite - Intriguing. I can't quite figure out how you did this. Was it multiple exposures or is that just one really long kite? Great-looking IR.<br>

Alan Bryant - Speedboat - You definitely capture the sense of motion. Did you pan? If so, great technique.<br>

David Storm - County Fair - Perfect exposure. Effective use of motion blur. The tilted comp works.</p>

<p><strong>Page 5</strong><br>

Tom Adamczyk - Daughter - Excellent lighting and separation.<br>

Mike Stemberg - Excellent architectural interior shot.<br>

Mike Strohl - Hummingbird - These creatures fascinate me. Excellent job freezing his fast wings.<br>

Tom Purvis - Spiral Stairs - Nicely composed, good contrast.<br>

Bruce Sturm - The Singer - Great night portrait.<br>

Christian O'Dell - Daughter in Umbrella Light - This is an absolutely impeccable photograph. The lighting, color, and expression are mesmerizing. Very sharp eyes and hair.<br>

G.K. Gerber - Katydid - Excellent exposure and color. Very sharp macro detail.</p>

<p><strong>Page 6</strong><br>

Doug Obert - Camping Trip - Looks like a peaceful location. Nice colors.<br>

Indy Nandrajog - Football Player - Strong colors. Excellent freeze of motion in the moment.<br>

Mark Keefer - Players - Excellent stage capture.<br>

Andre Appel - Girl With Attitude - Effective lighting for the shot. A little more harsh than a normal portrait, but great for the attitude that you're trying to convey.<br>

Lupo Lobo - Fishing Reel - Excellent shot of an atypical subject.<br>

John Vanacore - Cheerleaders - Nice, clear shadow detail.<br>

Dick Arnold - Blue Angels - They sure are BLUE!</p>

<p><strong>Page 7</strong><br>

Paul Marbs - Blonde Girl - Beautiful expression and bokeh. Was it shot though a window?<br>

Rhett Villahermosa - Goddaughter - Nice use of narrow DOF.<br>

Dean Schreuder - Girafe - Once of my favorite shots! I love how the wide angle makes his head look huge. Gives me a chuckle every time I look at it.<br>

thom polimeros - Dilapidated Barn - Nice use of cool lighting. Dusk?<br>

JDM von Weinberg - Street - Good balance of highlight and shadow areas.<br>

Tara Ruby - Sunset - Nice sky and reflections.</p>

<p><strong>Page 8</strong><br>

Michael Elenko - Echinops - Great light and color. I like how you filled the square frame.<br>

Evroy Anglin - Cherries - Nice use of selective focus and narrow DOF.<br>

robert colomeco - Cross Country Runners - Good, clear focus on a moving athlete.<br>

Colin Carron - Sea Birds - An intimate portrait of creatures who shot no sign of distress from your proximity. Nice soft lighting.</p>

<p>That's it for this time! Looking forward to next week!</p>