7D firmware update and windows 7 icon

marco_de_biasi

<p>There's the firmware update on Canon's web site. So far my 7D is working fine, not sure if I really need that update. Also I'm a bit scared by the agreement "A power failure during the firmware writing operation may disable the camera".<br>

Besides that, I'm using windows 7 x64. I've formatted my pc but I remember before that the 7D icon was black (and more 7D-ish like). Now it's a more generic grey icon... dunno what's changed though.</p>

<p>What version is the firmware you currently have? There have been a couple of important firmware updates if I recall correctly.. early for me so not 100% sure of that.<br>

I've installed the lastest firmware without issue. Just remember to have a completely charged battery for the update and everything should be fine.</p>

<p>I know that with my 5D, the firmware update is accomplished by copying the update to my memory card, installing the card into the camera, and updating... The camera is never attached to the computer. Not sure if it's the same with the 7D.</p>

<p>As Peter and Joka said, just make sure your batteries are charged and you'll have no issues.</p>

<p>Not sure about your Win7 x64 issues regarding the icons but I can tell you that my girlfriend (also Win7 x64) has been having issues with icons. Her desktop icons seem to have a mind of their own and re-arrange/disappear at will. Recently, the icon gif/jpeg for her Olympus RAW files changed from the usual grey iris-looking thing with an ORF flag to a generic thing with a flower. She figured out how to change it back (even though Microsoft no longer allows user selectable icon displays with Win7), I'll have to ask her how she did it.</p>