the Canon EOS 60D is here!

hannahthiem

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Ever since Canon first launched a camera meter with 63 zone Dual Layer (iFCL), I noticed the start point was EV1. It would appear all Canon specs for the new EOS 60D confirm it has improved to EV0. Many of Canon's traditional meters are better than EV1. Looks like they have over come some light loss of the dual layer technology and improved sensitivity.<br>

<strong>EOS 60D:</strong><br>

AF Working Range <br />EV 0-20 (at 73°F/23°C with EF 50mm f/1.4 USM lens, ISO 100) <strong>THE WINNER (in bright light)</strong><br>

Metering Range <br />EV 0-20 (at 73°F/23°C with EF 50mm f/1.4 USM lens, ISO 100) <strong>THE WINNER</strong><br>

<strong>EOS 7D:</strong><br>

AF Working Range <br />EV -0.5-18 (at 73°F/23°C, ISO 100) <strong>THE WINNER (in low light)</strong><br>

Metering Range <br />EV 1-20 (at 73°F/23°C with EF50mm f/1.4 USM lens, ISO 100)<br>

<strong>EOS 550D/T2i</strong><br>

AF Working Range <br />?<br>

Metering Range <br />EV 1-20 (at 73°F/23°C with EF 50mm f/1.4 USM lens, ISO 100)<br>

Looks like dpreview . com goofed as they state the 60D has the old range, assume they copy pasted (tut tut if so):<br>

'' • TTL full aperture metering with 63 zone Dual Layer (iFCL)<br /> • Metering range: EV 1 - 20 EV''</p>

<p>As a rebel xti user looking to upgrade I was pretty excited about this camera and surprised to hear all these negative comments. Maybe you all could explain why this would be a bad upgrade?<br>

I've had pipe dreams about a 5d II (I mostly shoot landscape) but that is never gonna happen. A 5d would be nice but the ancient LCD and lack of video aren't gonna cut it for me.<br>

I was excited about the 7D but even the price point on that is beyond reach. I could get a 60D and nice lens for the same price.<br>

50D also lacks the video which I would really like.<br>

Things that excite me about the 60D are: VIEWFINDER! I am assuming it is much nicer than the xti which drives me crazy it is so small. Video (and especially the ability to edit video clips in camera instead of downloading and cropping later - very nice feature if you use video). Ergonomics compared to xti. Live view. Better battery. Better long-exposure/high ISO performance (assumption).<br>

It seems like the 60D is the perfect camera for a young enthusiast like me. Remember folks, there are young struggling photogs out there who can't swing the 7D or above. This camera gives me high FPS, video (now I don't have to buy a camcorder) more megapixels (I know I know), decent (good, great?) viewfinder, etc. In fact, the more I think about it I really feel like this camera is aimed at the younger generations. For example, the ability to create lower res (smaller file size) duplicates in camera is really convenient for social networking sites (not something I use but I am the exception to the rule these days for people my age).<br>

Anyone want to convince me I should just go for the t2i or keep saving for the 7d? Your advice is greatly appreciated.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Anyone want to convince me I should just go for the t2i or keep saving for the 7d? Your advice is greatly appreciated.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I think you have hit an often-forgotten nail on the head. The camera is no longer just a light-tight box to hold a film - the camera is the medium and as such there is scope for far more bells and whistles. Many on sites such as this already own a camera and are looking at models like the 60D as a second camera to, or as an upgrade from, cameras they already have. But I see on forums like this more and more people who are buying very high-spec cameras as the <em>first</em> camera and in that respect there is a strong case for the 60D for the price reasons you mention.</p>

<p>Actually, I agree with Sarah Fox's and another person's opinion above. I was gonna post a question about the future camera line-ups and I found this thread. It does look like Canon is repositioning these lines (the 60D as the new camera for "entry"/casual photographers) and 7D as the replacement for the 50D. </p>

<p>Even if Canon decides to keep the Rebel lines, I think it makes business sense as well. There is a real demand for a cheap camera (in the 500-800 range) and if Canon doesn't fill this demand, the customers will go to another brand. Please remember that Canon is a business and in order to survive, they have to fulfill demand of the market. And not only Canon, Nikon, Sony (Minolta)... all have to do this to survive. None of us wants Canon to go out of business, right? </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I have 2 questions for previewers of this camera, Bob Atkins or other.<br /> 1. Does liveview work any better in the 60D than in any other EOS? <br /> 2. Is the shutter "feel" more like the T2i or more like the 50D?<br /> Thanks.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>1 - Not really, but I'm not sure what you mean by "better"<br>

2 - Couldn't say. It felt just fine when I was using the camera - I didn't notice it so it must be pretty "normal".</p>

<p>About whether Liveview works better. In my 50D, liveview focusing is quite slow, and Canon even recommends in my manual that it be used only for still subjects and only on a tripod. So I'm wondering if the people who see the tilt LCD in the 60D useful for things like shooting subjects over people's heads while looking at the tilted LCD are really understanding what liveview is capable of or not. If Liveview focuses faster on the 60D than it does in the 50D, then great, but otherwise, it may be fine for video (albeit without continuous autofocus, it will be most useful for cinematographical gear heads), or for macro or other low-to-the-ground tripod work. It may not have much use at all for still photography off the tripod.</p>

<p>Someone cautioned us not to forget that Canon is a business. This is so very true, and like many other businesses these days they are trying to squeeze every possible nickel out of their patrons. Clearly the 60D is a result of careful market research on the part of Canon. My guess is that Canon is looking to force, as best they can, existing X0D users into the 7D and better line...squeeze out a few hundred dollars more per head. They know most won't "upgrade" to the 60D and probably only less than a few will switch brands because of this manipulation. Naming this 600D the 60D is no mistake.</p>

<p>My first dSLR was the 300D. I remember with fondness when I took my 20D out of the box. The construction was far superior. It felt like a solid camera. The squeeks and flexing of the plastic body had always bothered me. Don't let anyone convince you that the plastic body is an acceptable replacement.</p>

<p>To me the 60D is Canon yet again thumbing its corporate nose at the most loyal segment of its user base..."You'll buy what we tell you to buy when we tell you to buy it."</p>

<p>The 60D and the massive increase in price of Canon's newer L lenses (for example the 300mm f2.8) have done nothing but convince me to stop shoveling money in Canon's direction.  They've helped me see that what I've got is good enough for quite some time to come.  </p>

<p>For those of us who are on a budget, the 60D looks extremely impressive! The 7D is quite a work of art, and it does induce camera-lust when held, but even the body alone is around $1600, which can mean a lot for people during this never-ending recession! Not all photographers have endless credit card limits, and sometimes we have to use 450Ds for our photographic purposes! I've even had paying customers with photos taken with my Xsi and 50mm f1/4 lens. It would great to upgrade to the 50D or 60D and still have money left over for another lens. <br>

I also tire of the semi-pro/prosumer branding, as If you weren't a serious photographer unless you are shooting with a 7D or 5D II. I know my images have improved simply by incorporating better lenses, and If I was using a 40D, I know my results would be similar. <br>

On another note, does the 60D have gapless microlenses like the 50D, and is this really an advantage? Does the microfocus adjustment help?<br>

Jet</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I am incredible disappointed. Actually my disappointment is huge.<br>

I sold my EOS 20D in April 1½ ago to acquire a DSLR camera with high burst still picture and HD Video Autofocus features.<br>

When Canon released the EOS 7D, I had clearly expected HD Video with Autofocus.<br />Ok ok, then I’ll wait for the “real” EOS 60D, because naturally it will have HD Video with Autofocus. <br>

But now I experience that the Canon EOS 60D do not has HD Video with Autofocus ! !<br>

And then the EOS 60D only have 5,3 fps. The 40D and 50D have 6,5 and 6,3 fps.<br />What did go wrong?<br />We must go back to the EOS 20D to find 5 fps.<br />Why go the wrong way?<br>

Tilt and Swivel LCD with <strong>bad</strong> Live View feature is stupid and useless!<br />It should off cause have full blown Live View on a OLED screen, otherwise is can’t be used I the sun.<br>

Seems like Canon don’t read their competitors product specs.<br />Try and look at Panasonic, Sony and Nikon.<br>

Dam Canon, they can do better than that !<br>

Some of my friends are asking me for advice of what kind and brand of camera to buy.<br />And many of my colleagues are asking me for advice of what kind and brand of camera to buy.<br>

Now I honestly rather will recommend a Nikon or Sony !<br>

A friend told me that Nikon has gain ground on Canon.<br />If it is true, I now understand why.</p>

<p>Then I think you're likely to be disappointed in every new camera. All new DSLRs are going to have video from this point on and they're all going to cram in as many features as they can at the price point they sell for (without going too far and stealing sales from more expensive models).</p>

<p>You will never again see a DSLR absolutely dedicated to still photography and without party tricks.</p>

<p>I'd also say that as a DSLR, cameras like the 60D will far and away outperform dedicated still photography DSLRs like the 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D and 50D, but you probably don't want to hear that.</p>

<p>You're only option will probably be a Leica M9. Simple still photography camera for $7000 (body only). It's not a DSLR but it has interchangable lenses, not too many "bells and whistles" and no video. We'll have to wait to see what they put in the M10 of course.</p>

Hi Bob..I'm an Xti user and was looking for an upgrade of a body with better grip, dual dial control, better AF sensor sensitivity, and some degree of weather sealing..at first my eyes are pointed to 50D..but since 60D is now here..I'm now wondering which is the better camera..I assume focus sensor will be similar in sensitivity and performance..but I wonder about:

1. Which ISO performance is better?

2. Does magnesium and polycarbonate body really matters..and does it feel differently in your hand?well my hand used to hold a plastic XTi..never touch a magnesium alloy body before..

3. Is 60D weather sealed better then 50D?

Thanks..

• 2 weeks later...

<p>It is no surprise that the xxD line now has a 'plastic' body. Makes perfect sense because after all it is exactly what the majority of people are asking for: less weight - the 60D is some 250 grams less than the 50D, no small difference if you are carrying the camera around for half a day! And it outperform the 50D - so, what's the problem?</p>

<p>If you really NEED a tougher camera buy the 7D (or 5D) - Canon's market research and customer feedback have brought about the lighter body and swivel screen in the 60D, for sure. I have read countless posts here from people wondering why Canon hadn't done that yet. Well, here it is.</p>

<p>The lineup makes perfect sense too: xxxD and xxd will satisfy any photographer except those who REALLY need a tougher body (or full frame) - but, if you really need weather sealing and magnesium it means your choice is NOT going to include more amateur oriented cameras. THis is why Canon decided to separate the 7D from the rest, so to speak. Totally smart.</p>

<p>If you are not a pro I guarantee you that those 'plastic' bodies are NOT going to break unless you get a hammer and go to town. There are so many original Rebel around to prove it.<br>

<br /> I am glad Canon went this direction and makes it very easy for me to get my next camera (60D). I liked the 7D but, I didn't want the weight so, I am one of those who like both the lighter body and swivel screen :)</p>