Leica M9 Price

<p>Just recently i found out about the Leica M9, and was so excited about it, i was sure i was going to buy one. I thought it what range from about 400 to 600 dollars, but i never expected 7,000. I just want to know why it is so expensive and if there will ever be a chance for me to get one around 400 to 600 dollars.<br>

Thanks</p>

<blockquote>

I just want to know why it is so expensive

</blockquote>

<p>Pick one or more of:

<ul>

<li>It's a Leica.</li>

<li>It's a digital rangefinder.</li>

<li>It's a full-frame digital rangefinder.</li>

<li>It's a Leica.</li>

<li>It's the only full-frame digital rangefinder out there, and it takes Leica screw- and M-mount

glass.</li>

<li>Demand seems to outstrip supply by a fair margin.</li>

<li>It's a Leica.</li>

<li>Enough people with $7K think it's worth $7K.</li>

<li>It's a Leica.</li>

</ul>

</p>

<br/><br/>

<blockquote>

if there will ever be a chance for me to get one around 400 to 600 dollars

</blockquote>

<p>Depends on whether or not a scammer gets hold of your e-mail address.

<br>

More seriously, by the time it hits $400 (if ever), you wouldn't even look twice at it.

</p>

<p> You just have to pick out a different camera. The Leica M9 will never be $600.00 unless it was run over by a truck first. However it is just an electronic camera and you could do well with another brand. I think for about $600.00 you might want to check out the Olympus Pen EP-1 with 14-42 zoom lens. It's not a rangefinder but I think would most likely be a fine little camera for the money.</p>

<p>Dear Cameron,</p>

<p>There would be a 'chance' of you buying a Leica M9 for 400 to 600 dollars but it would depend on whether the lottery tickets you bought for that amount of money actually contained a winning number!<br>

Do you feel lucky?....well do you?<br>

Yours<br>

Ian</p>

<p>'I just want to know why it is so expensive and if there will ever be a chance for me to get one around 400 to 600 dollars.'</p>

<p>Give it a couple of decades. The Nikon D1 has lost about 95% of its value over the last 10 years. The M9 won't depreciate quite so quickly, but it's not going to be valued very highly by the time its batteries and compatible media cards are hard to find, and contemporary entry level cameras are fitted with sensors that can shoot by starlight and out-resolve a Summicron. You can already pick up an M8 for not much more than half its peak retail price. Old electronic Leicas like the R4 from the 80s are now worth less than LTM cameras made half a century earlier.</p>