M42 40mm

<p>There's the Voigtlander Normal 40mm f/2 SL Manual Focus Lens for Universal Screw Mount (Pentax M42):</p>

<p><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/363161-REG/Voigtlander_45BA229APE_40mm_f_2_SL_Manual.html">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/363161-REG/Voigtlander_45BA229APE_40mm_f_2_SL_Manual.html</a></p>

<p>But realistically, can't you use a 35mm lens instead?</p>

<p>Here's a Carl Zeiss Jena 40mm f/4.5 lens for M42 currently being offered on eBay:</p>

<p><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Carl-Zeiss-f-M42-4-5-40mm-Tessar-T-/370411684880?pt=Film_Cameras">(LINK)</a></p>

<p>I'm not familiar with the seller. 98.2% positive feedback strikes me as on the low side; I usually buy from 99%+ users. Not a lot of info about the lens, either. Still, it's an interesting data point.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I've got a 40/2 Zuiko on my OM1, an Oly 35 RC with a 42/2.8, and my EF 28/2.8 is a 45 equivalent on my Canon 30D. I'd like a 40 to put on my M3 of SLRs, the Pentax SL.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Something wrong with the other cameras? Or is it a form of OCD? ;-)</p>

<p>If you can take a 45mm equivalent instead of 40mm, why not 35mm as well?</p>

• 8 months later...

<p>Regrets that I found this thread so late. Just three hours ago, from a local antique shop I purchased an Exakta VX with Makro-Kilar E 50/3.5 (1:2) for US$72.25 total. I am happy. It joins my other Forty, a tiny pancake Meyer Helioplan 40/4.5 which a few months ago on eBay cost me US$12.55 shipped.</p>

<p>These are both in Exakta mount. Both are reputedly available in M42, but I have not seen those. I shoot Pentax (d)SLRs. I have devised a simple, non-destructive, totally reversible adaptation of Exakta to Pentax K-mount (PK). Use contact cement to glue an M39-M42 adapter ring around the Exakta bayonet. Use rough sandpaper to grind about 0.7mm from the flange of a cheap clone M42-PK adapter. Mount lens on PK camera; if infinity focus is not achieved, grind the PK adapter a bit more. To reverse the adaptation, use thinner to dissolve the glue and put the lens back in its original state.</p>

<p>I have so adapted a number of Exakta-mount lenses, and enjoy their use. For M42 use, just omit the PK adapter, but infinity focus might not be achievable. With the Makro-Kilar, that hardly matters, now does it?</p>

<p>As for what constitutes a Forty: If we allow 10% tolerance, then the range is 36-44mm and so includes the Mir-1 37/2.8 but not the Chinon 45/2.8. Yes, many rangefinder Forties exist, but those are rather difficult to adapt to dSLRs except for close-up use. Oh no, not ANOTHER macro lens!</p>