And a Merry Christmas to all

mark_davies1

<p>Dear Santa Canon, Christmas is coming up and I was wondering if you can bring me the new Canon camera. It would be hopefully based upon the 5D MkII but only a bit different.<br>

First, I don't want to alter the pixies, there are plenty of pixies in the current model and they are generally okay. They do tend to get a bit noisy when they go faster so if they can be quietened down that would be great.<br>

Second, could the focusing AF thingy be improved to be a bit better. I don't really need it to be like the 7D but if all 9 focusing points could be cross type with 2.8 lenses that would be yummy.<br>

Third, I don't really need the movie thing so that can go but if instead you could squeeze two digic IV processors on it, or even a digic V, so the frame rate could be increased to 8 or fps that would be super.<br>

Finally, if the rear viewing screen could be articulated (made so it can swing up and down and sideways that would be very usefull. If this cannot be done, that would be okay as long as the others were able to be acheived. Especially keeping those noisy pixies quiet.<br>

Everything else on the camera is great.<br>

I know this is probably not in your baily wick, I would have to send this to the Canon lens Santa but if you could ask him to upgrade the 100 - 400 L IS to a constant f4 and with the new IS mode (4 stops instead of two) I am sure I could put some extra hay out for the reindeers.<br>

There may be others here that would like to add some features, so don't go away in a hurry. Please stay to see what they want.<br>

Best wishes for your holiday after Christmas.<br>

Mark</p>

<p>Couple thoughts</p>

<ul>

<li>5d2 already has astoundingly low noise</li>

<li>AF does suck, needs to be improved</li>

<li>Video's not going anywhere, can just ignore it</li>

<li>100-400 f4 would be hella expensive, probably $6-8,000, Nikon 200-400 w/4 stops is $7k, so start saving!</li>

</ul>

<p>video is here to stay. If you want an AF upgrade, why not have the 7D AF? 21MP is more than plenty, but I'm sure they'll crank it up. 8fps in FF...I don't know; the 1DS III only shoots 5fps, so that may be the upgrade. Some good thoughts and others that I don't think will happen. However, I would bet a 100-400mm II is in the future; Nikon just released their 200-400mm version II, so I'm sure Canon won't be far behind to keep up with the Joneses (70-200mm II ring any bells? not far behind Nikon's). If you want it for Christmas, I'm not sure a new 5D model will be out, but the 1DS III is due up and next in line for upgrading. Its the only model in the lineup not to feature video, and its their flagship. Hey there ya go, if you don't want video get a used 1DS III after the 1DS IV is released. You'll have 21MP, faster burst (although not 8fps), and better AF, not to mention build and weather sealing.</p>

<p>Christmas is coming...and so is the buzz ahead of the Photokina in Cologne later this year, and then we wait till Easter or so next year to actually 'see' the new products and innovations. Then we wait for the following 2010/2011 After Christmas Sales programs to be announced ...and so it goes on. :=)<br>

Check out: <a href="http://www.photographybay.com/2010/05/31/photokina-2010/">Photokina 2010 ~ The World of Imaging</a>.</p>

<p>I doubt if the moderators will let this one live for long, but let's have fun with it until they notice!</p>

<p>As a current 5DII and previous 5D (and long previous 1V) user, here's my realistic wishlist.</p>

<p>1. 7D-like AF but with normal-precision AF at f/8 and high-precision AF at f/4 at the central group of AF points, not just at the centre.</p>

<p>2. I agree no more pixels, but some improvement in what they deliver. The 5DII does not have gapless microlenses, so there's an easy win there.</p>

<p>3. Host USB built into the camera with some sort of simple file management system allowing files to be moved to and from an external USB drive. Host USB should also allow easy connection of a GPS. Built-in Bluetooth might also be a good option for that.</p>

<p>4. Level indicator pretty much as for the 7D.</p>

<p>5. Voice annotation as in the 1D series.</p>

<p>6. Re-shaped LCD as in the 550D/T2i. Equivocal about having it articulated – I think what would persuade me would be the ability to fold it face-in (as on some P&S cameras) for protection when not in use. Probably soon time for OLED technology, but LCD is now very good.</p>

<p>7. Conventional flash synchronisation improved at least to 1/250 and preferably better.</p>

<p>Concerning lenses, as others have pointed out, an XXX~400/4 would be a completely different animal from the current 100~400/4.5~5.6, maybe a valuable addition to the range but in no sense a replacement. An updated 100~400 comparable to the present onewould be welcome, with current-generation IS and better image quality at the long end. Other options might include a 150~450/4.5~5.6L IS using the 82mm filter size, and an internal-zoom 100~300/4 L IS as good as the 70~200/2.8L IS II and thus readily useable with a ×1.4 extender. Better quality L-series extenders using fancy glass to improve lateral CA (and other aspects of image quality) would be welcome.</p>

<p>... Yeah, and a sealed mirror chamber with filtered venting directly to the bottom of the camera (like a hard drive) to keep all the pixie dust out the outside of the camera and not on the sensor! A replaceable filter would be super. :-)</p>

<p>There's a <em>rumor</em> link at Unique Photo's front page. Quite a bit of <em>future music</em>. Xmas being <strong>Photokina 2010</strong>. Incl. the possibility of an EF-S 16-70mm. Two new DGSLR's... Etc.<br>

As I said, <em>rumors</em>. No guarantee whatsoever from <em>Da House</em>.</p>

<p>Welll......I heard.....Canon is going to make all their components available on an 'a la carte' basis....you'll be able to mix and match anything you want and make up your own camera just like you want it.<br>

It's rumored to be out next year...it's called the 5D Mk 4-1-11....</p>

<p>"Well......I heard.....Canon is going to make all their components available on an 'a la carte' basis...."</p>

<p>Yes, then you can just download and print it out at home on your Canon 3D printer. No more waiting for overnight delivery. Of course those 3D ink cartridges will probably be expensive... especially the ones for "L" glass.</p>

<p>I want a 15mm EF-S or maybe 14mm EF-S. It can be slow as I would like it to complement my 17-40 for landscape photography. I do trade off with my sons 10-22 and it is a great lens. But a nice compact single focal length EF-S lens would be a welcome addition for my landscape photography.</p>

<p>I'd honestly hate for it to come out right after I get a mark ii. Seriously, that would depress me for like 5 minutes. Then again, I can wait till after christmas....<br /><br /><br>

So on that note:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Would love AEB to take 5, 7, or 9 frames.<br /><br /></p>

</blockquote>

<p>5 would be enough for me, but if they want to give me 9, I guess I could waste the hard drive space!<br>

and the rest:(not ordered)<br>

1) Built in master flash control<br>

2) Built in level (if they found an analog way to just slap it on the exterior unobtrusively id probably prefer it)<br>

3) (Stealing from above) GPS (the internets is making me like geotagging for no discernible reason)<br>

4) Make 6400 ISO look like the current 1600 noise wise (although 3200 did not seem surprisingly bad<br>

5) 'Improved' AF (not for me, but for all of those who don't realize the affect on DoF when switching from FF to crop- this might shut them up and but then they still might blame the camera)</p>

<p>"Welll......I heard.....Canon is going to make all their components available on an 'a la carte' basis....you'll be able to mix and match anything you want and make up your own camera just like you want it."<br>

Yes the starting price will be only 50 bucks, but after you purchase all the add-ons it might balloon up to $5000.</p>

<p>Personally, I wish that canon would come up with cameras similar to Sony NEX-5 with better user interface and lenses, And could also use ef and efs lenses as well with full function, Via adapter. I wish such camera would appear this September and become available soon, Cause I'm planning on a vacation. LOL</p>

<p>"First, I don't want to alter the pixies, there are plenty of pixies in the current model....." </p>

<p>Be a good Santa and give ME 33mp so I can input to a 13"x19" Epson printer at 360PPI. </p>

<p>"Third, I don't really need the movie thing so that can go but if instead you could squeeze two digic IV processors on it, or even a digic V,..." </p>

<p>YES! </p>

<p>"Conventional flash synchronisation improved at least to 1/250 and preferably better." </p>

<p>Yes, flash synchronization of 1/250th or 1/300th would be good. </p>

<p>Guess I'd better have been a VERY good boy. </p>