Simple 580ex II settings

rf1

<p>I just picked up a 580ex II flash in the nick of time. I am photographing a wedding (not as a paid pro but mainly out of practice) this weekend. I have an off-camera TTL cable, bracket, and demb flip-it. I successfully used this type of setup w/ N*kon equipment.<br>

In the past I have used Stroboframe but this time I opted to get the Alzo bracket. Anyone using this bracket? Any tips?<br>

Anyhow looking for quick tips. I set the flash in ETTL which I know is not the preferred method but w/o time to really figure out settings...I probably will go this route.<br /> <br /> What settings should I look for on my T1i and on the flash?<br /> <br /> How can I disable pre-flash? I assume the camera and flash will want to pre-flash by default. <br /> <br /> I want to particularly minimize shadows but get pleasing results. I worked through the N*kon equipment w/o problems. I am a fairly experienced photographer as well.</p>

<p>Manual camera mode, not AV. Or program. If you are used to Nikon, Nikon sets 1/60th or so in aperture priority, Canon will not. You can set it to 1/125th via custom function, but not something you choose. The shutter speed will be too slow, many times, indoors.</p>

<p>Use ETTL--the other options are really not that workable for a wedding. So don't disable the pre-flash. The flash's auto thyristor function is not that great, and slows you down. Practice knowing the flash's metering response. You have evaluative flash metering and averaging flash metering to choose from. Both will be ultra sensitive to white or light colors in a scene, but evaluative the most. For instance, if you flash into a mirror, with evaluative, it will almost look like no flash went off at all. I personally use averaging flash metering if I want the flash to be the main light source. Get to know your comp controls, because you will need them all day. You can set the flash via custom function so that the large dial is a direct comp control. This is much faster.</p>

<p>The 580EX II has an overheating switch that you cannot disable. Read about it in your flash manual. It will slow down the recycling (at just the wrong moments). This is a problem if you are bouncing a lot--using your flash at or near full power a lot. Bring plenty of sets of AAs--preferably hybrid ones--there is some evidence they are cooler running, and that the temperature of the actual batteries has some input in whether the switch goes on. You can try swapping out a set for a cool set, but that will not work all the time. Have a back up flash. Another thing photographers find puzzling is when the flash will turn on, and even recycle, but it won't fire. That is a sign you need to change the batteries.</p>

<p>I have not used the Alzo bracket, but have used lots of others. The only thing I can say is practice so you can figure out cord management and that you don't fumble. Don't want to do that at a wedding--you just don't have time for it.</p>

<p>I can't speak for the bracket either.</p>

<p>E-TTL is probably ideal for your type of shoot. You can't turn off the pre-flash in E-TTL. The preflash is necessary to meter the light. The pre-flash occurs so fast that you won't be able to distinguish it from the main flash.</p>

<p>Set the camera in M mode. I usually start at f5.6, 1/125, iso 100. From there I adjust accordingly to brighten/darken the foreground or the background. Also, get familiarized with the Flash exposure compensation. You should have +/- 3 stops adjustment. </p>

<p>Are you shooting with one flash only? Is so, get the flash as high as you can on the bracket. This will take away the two dimensional look and make it more 3D since the shadows are cast down. Also, make sure to use a light modifier to soften the light.</p>

<p>If you are using two flashes, I would use the off camera flash as a key light and the one camera flash as the fill light with lower power. The key light will create some shadows while the fill light will minimize the shadow. You can control the ratio of the flash power from the 580ex.</p>

"I am photographing a wedding (not as a paid pro but mainly out of practice)"

<p>By this do you mean you will be one of the OFFICIAL photographers, or perhaps even the sole official photographer, even if shooting pro bono?

<p>I personally use and can readily vouch for the Demb Flash Diffuser. I have one and it is my main light modifier. Light and versatile, so much so that I've never had a need for a bracket of any kind.

<p>If you're not attending in any of the capacities contemplated in my first paragraph, leave your brackets at home, carry your camera, a lens and just enjoy the day :)

<p>@ Jeffrey - using a single flash. I will be using the Demb flip-it/diffuser.<br>

@ Mark - I am a family member and mainly shooting to practice with Canon equipment. Besides that I am a lil outta practice....so that complicates things.</p>

<p>I would put the flash on manual and use the settings of f4, f5.6 and f8 depending on the circumstances. The ETTL will still work when the flash is on manual. All you have to do is look at the range that displays on the LCD on the back of the flash and you are good to go. I would avoid any of the automatic features such as P, AV, TV until you get to know the flash a little better.</p>

Ali, I would then strongly suggest, nay, insist, that you make sure you've cleared with the hired pro before the wedding day. I would now even more strongly suggest you leave your flash at home and just use your camera with one lens attached. 2 reasons:

<br>1. You want to enjoy and commemorate the day unencumbered by camera gear.

<br>2. More importantly, out of professional courtesy and respect for the hired pro. Let him/her/them do the job they're being paid to do...

<p>You can find other occasions on which to practice with your gear outside of such an important, once-in-a-lifetime family event.

<p>Many a time I have been tempted to carry my gear to a relative's wedding but always end up carrying just a simple kit (body+lens, sans flash). If I had a point & shoot, would happily carry and use that instead (again no flash). During the event, I 'see' with my mind's eye the images I'd have taken if I had been the hired photographer but I choose to leave it at that mental picture and just enjoy the day.