Jupiter 12 on Kiev 4a not locking into place

<p>'77 Kiev 4a<br>

'88 Jupiter 12</p>

<p>The lens will mount, but won't lock into place. So for now I have to use tape to hold it in place so it won't slip off. Problem is, I want to take the J8 to Europe for low light shots.</p>

<p>Is it more likely to be a lens or camera issue?</p>

<p>It may be that the lens or mount is damaged. Given the difficulties I indicate below, it is possible that someone has damaged the connection by forcing it.<br>

However, the fit is very tight, and it can be difficult to get the Jupiter and similar lenses correctly seated. Don't do the tape thing--too much chance of ruining a good lens. Also, if it <em>is</em> a matter of getting it to mount correctly, the lens won't work too well either.<br>

You have to make sure the lens is truly vertical and square with the camera mount, then press down very firmly to engage the mount properly.</p>

<p>I have Nikon S-2 and one of my lenses is Jupiter 12. I have to be sure both camera and lens are set on infinity, not just near infinity, but right on infinity in order to mount and lock on lens to body (that's one of the reasons I many times prefer my Leica M3 with black bodied Canon 35mm f2)!</p>

<p>If the above suggestions don't work, I've had the same experience and I just gave up on it. I suspect that some of the Jupiter 12's made to match the later 4am and 4m Kievs won't click into the mount on the earlier 4a, even though theoretically, there shouldn't be any difference. Too bad, because the earlier Kiev 4's are much nicer.</p>

<p>I had problems with a J-12 that fitted the K4 and not the K4a. Turned out that someone had put some extra matte black paint inside (I don't know why) and that was enough for the lens to foul up when I was trying to fit it to the K4a. The fit is that exact.<br>

Murray</p>

<p>I think I'm not being very clear. The lens mounts, but <em>the clip fails to lock it in place</em>. I'm using tape to hold it in place <em>to stop it twisting itself out</em>, <strong>not</strong> to jam it in and hope it holds.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If the above suggestions don't work, I've had the same experience and I just gave up on it.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's what I was thinking of doing, until I realised that the Kiev 4AM <strong>I bought over a month ago</strong> on eBay still hasn't arrived and the lazy slack of a seller hasn't responded to any of my messages…</p>

<p>I also have a Kiev 4-something (never bothered to figure out which exact model it is) and a Jupiter-12. I can quite easily mount the lens, but I have the problem that the clip won't lock. I was wondering about that for a day or two and then thought that who cares - the lens seems to stay in place just fine regardless. Just be careful to not use extreme force when focusing... the pictures turn out great so the lens is seemingly in good alignment etc., just won't lock.</p>

<p>Toni, your focusing must be really nice and loose, because mine'd just twist off if I did that (I tried).<br>

Ah well. Guess I'll just untape and tape it everytime I need to use it. When I get back from Europe I'll be buying a Zorki and LTM J12 where these lock issues don't happen.</p>

<p>Thanks all :)</p>