Bird ID Question

robbie_robertson

<p>I’ve seen this bird only twice in six years, and I am mighty confused about identification: Three toed; Too much mottling on the back to be a Black-Backed Woodpecker when compared to both my western U.S. field guides and all internet resources, and too dark on the breast to be a Three-Toed Woodpecker, again when compared to my field guides/resources. There are also the double white spots on the wings that I don’t see in either species in the field guides, and no eye line that is typical of the two woodpecker species I’ve mentioned. Would this be a dark variant of the Three-Toed Woodpecker? It would out of its normal range if either species, which might explain why I’ve only rarely seen it.<br>

The location is the inland (eastern) slope of the Coast Range in northwest Oregon at 640 feet in altitude. The terrain is forested, primarily in Douglas Fir.<br>

I’m going to post two other shots, so a delay in response would be appreciated till I get them uploaded.</p>

<p>Got the Western Peterson guide out and we were both incorrect. It is juvenile Red-Breasted Sapsucker. The white marking above the beak without any white on the neck (Williamson's) and lacking a white stripe near the eye (Red-Naped Sapsucker).<br>

Nice find.</p>