How much better is the 28mm AIS over the AI

shiang_wang1

<p>I have been thinking about upgrading my 28mm f/2.8 AI to a 28mm f/2 AIS or a f/2.8 AIS after reading all those rave reviews. I have searched the net for comparision between AI and AIS, some people say there is no difference in terms of quality, some say the new coating in AIS makes it superior and they surely reflect on the price.<br>

My question : is the AIS really worth hundreds of dollars more? <br>

I shoot mostly landscape and use tripod whenever possible. I have this 28mm since I got my first camera, it has been with me on every trip I took. I love it, I just wish to get more out of it, or you can call it an urge to upgrade. But that doesn't come very often.<br>

Looking forward to your honest opinion.<br>

Thanks</p>

<p>I only have experience with the 28/2.8 non AI (.3m focus) and it works well. The images I take with it look as good as any I've seen with the .2m CRC AIS version, and as good as my RF 28's (M-Hexanon, 2 CV 28s, and Canon 28/2.8).<br>

I'd give one a try if it's in good shape.</p>

<p>If your lens is indeed the AI 28/2.8 and not the cheaper series-E lens, it is actually a very good performer. The main thing it lacks in comparison to the AIS version is CRC and the improved close range performance, otherwise they perform similarly. The AIS shines at very close range, so if you are into wideangle "macro" shots it might be worth an upgrade. If you mostly shoot landscapes at medium to far distances and smallish apertures, you won't see a difference. </p>

<p>Ken Rockwell has a good review of the AI 28/2.8. Links to his site are blocked here for various reasons but it is one of his more thorough reviews. You can find it if you google "Ken Rockwell Nikon AI 28mm"</p>

<p>Actually I have never tested one against the other, hence I cannot answer your question but to add some thoughts:<br /> The AiS has 8 elements vs 7 on the previous version. Performance should be slightly higher.<br /> The CRC is there for something, I guess. The floating front elements could provide the ability of working at such close distances with still good performance and reasonable eveness. I have used it for macro work and found it perfectly good.<br /> I wonder if this benefits are noticeable at infinity and f8... maybe not. I suspect all this features are designed for a better wide open and closer focus performance. Anyway, as I mentioned above, all this are conjectures.<br /> Check <a href="http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html">NÆRFOTO</a> (click on "lenses"). I find Rorslett to be a very interesting reviewer.</p>

<p>I have a beautiful copy of the 28 f/2.8 AI-S which is razor sharp up very close and very, very sharp up to maybe 50 metres. At infinity it's not as good and I certainly wouldn't use it as my preferred landscape lens. It's forte is wide angle macro photography.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have a beautiful copy of the 28 f/2.8 AI-S which is razor sharp up very close and very, very sharp up to maybe 50 metres. At infinity it's not as good and I certainly wouldn't use it as my preferred landscape lens. It's forte is wide angle macro photography.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>

<p>I love the 28mm focal length for landscape work on a 35mm film camera or an FX digital.</p>

</p>

<p>When I was in a similar position to yours, I upgraded my 28mm f/3.5 pre-AI lens to a 28mm f/2.8 AIS. I did not consider the 28mm f/2 because I did not need the faster lens speed and the f/2.8 was reported to be sharper than the f/2. I did not consider the AI because I needed the close focus feature of the AIS. Also, I did not get rid of my pre-AI lens because it excels as a macro lens when mounted in reverse position on a bellow.<br>

<p>If I were in your position, I would keep the 28mm f/2.8 AI and consider two other options:</p>

<br>

.</p>

<p> 1. The 28mm perspective control lens because not only is it good for landscapes but also for panoramic shots and architectural shots.</p>

<p>

<p>2. A 6x9cm medium format film camera with a 65mm wide-angle lens (equivalent to a 28mm on a 35mm film camera). I use the Fuji GSW690iii. The increased detail of the medium format is something that I need.</p>

</p>

<p>I was lucky enough to buy my Nikon 28mm f2.8 AIS on the auction site for $104. They are out there, I don't think it is that much more than the AI version. That being said, if you are happy with the AI version I'd just go ahead and keep using it. I have the Nikon 35mm f2 AI lens, and I am happy with it, I've never thought to spend hundreds more to get the f1.4 version, which many seem to think is a lot better. I've gotten stellar results out of my 35mm f2 AI and will keep it in my manual focus Nikon lens kit.</p>

<p>I got both 28mm ais f2 and f2.8 for landscape photography. Didn't like f.2.8 and kept f.2. Sharpness of the 2.8 CRC lens was not uniform with extremely good center and so-so edges (on DX body!). I found F2 lens has much more uniform image rendition. Anyway do not expect huge difference in upgrade. I judge that my 28mm f2 is only a bit better than 10 times less expensive, humble 28mm f3.5 AI, with scratched front element, that I also have!</p>

<p>Here's a recent thread that might be of interest to the OP:<br>

http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00WQ27</p>

<p>In addition to the comments on the IQ of the different variants of the 28/2.8, there are also several very useful posts in that thread on distinguishing them.</p>

<p>My conclusion on the IQ of the 28/2.8 AIS (0.2 m focusing) is similar to the opinions already expressed. It's very, very good under a meter or so, even when compared to modern glass. However, over 2 or 3 meters away, the corners get surprisingly soft when wide open. Stop it down 2 or 3 stops (as you are likely to do in landscape work), and it's more than adequate. Because of its size, it's a nice lens to take when you want to be less noticeable or don't feel like lugging around something like the 16-35/f4 VR zoom or even larger modern lenses. </p>

<p>To answer the OP's original question about the difference between the AI and AIS variants, IMHO, you'll see a noticeable improvement with the AIS (0.2 m) when used under a meter. Over a couple of meters, my guess is you'll be hard pressed to tell which is which.</p>

<p>Tom M</p>

<p >Appreciate all of you taking time to answer my question. </p>

<p >Thought I read most of the review (including Ken Rockwell's and Bjorn's), didn't see the 'Ran into an old friend' link. Very interesting post, thanks Tom. </p>

<p >While I like my 28mm AI (not the E series), I do notice in some occasion, it loses slight sharpness at infinity. But I have to say it is not consistent, it be could be my mistake, or maybe really like what Matt observed. </p>

<p >I have my eyes on the f/2 AIS for a while since I use Velvia 50 (tried 100, doesn't like its magenta tone), an extra step can certainly help when I don't haul the tripod. I just couldn't believe the price has been jagged up as high as $500 for a minty one. It sounds like the $100 AI version is a good bargain.</p>

<p >I once thought about getting the 17-35mm AFS and selling the 20mm AFD and the 28mm AI. At the end, I like the weight of the prime lenses, sort of put the thought aside. I will keep the AI and continue looking out for a not-too-expensive AIS version.</p>

<p>Shiang, I was looking to purchase a Nikkor 28 f2.8 AIS recently from KEH. There was one AI listed as EX+ but no AIS, so I went for the AI. I've not been disappointed. Beautiful lens and sharp! I use it at between 5.6 and 8 or at 8 focused at infinity for mostly landscapes and everything is sharp from about 6' on. Also have used it at the minimum focusing distance of 1' and it does well at that too. I assume your 28mm performs similarly, so I think you would be wise to keep it. I don't believe the AIS version of the 28 f2.8 could be that much better than the AI when used for typical landscape shots. </p>

<p>i have bought myself 3 version, Series E, AI in prestine condition and Exc AIS.<br />I would say AI and AIS is of same quality, if you need 25cm focus, go AIS.<br>

I think i will take AI version for myself, so need to pass E and AIS. If anyone interested ;)</p>