Should I wear a suit to an interview

<p>Hello I have an interview tomorrow with a company that specializes in Sports and Senior Graduation shots. I'm wondering what to wear to this interview and what should I bring. Tomorrow is going to be the hottest day of the year 98+ degees.</p>

<p>Harry -</p>

<p>I'm assuming you're meeting them in their office - which is probably air conditioned - so I'd say yes...</p>

<p>The business casual look can come in (maybe) when you get the job and start shooting for them.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Probably. It's usually better to be overdressed than underdressed. Given the business, also probably. A nice blazer or jacket and slacks might also work. </p>

<p>On the other hand, companies have different corporate cultures. IBM or FBI, definitely suits. Apple, maybe a polo shirt? Is there anyway that you can check before hand, a friend on the inside?</p>

<p>Whatever you wear, wear it with confidence and never, ever apologize for what you're wearing.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

Totally off-topic but JDM tickled an old memory of mine from ~15 years ago. The only time I've ever

apologized for what I was wearing was the first day of a new job where I showed up in dirty jeans and a

charred white t-shirt.

"Sorry, I apologize for my appearance, but my house burned down last night and this is all I could

salvage..."

Ha!

<p>I would never go to an interview in less than a jacket and tie, and then only if I didn't have a suit. No one is going to fault you for being overdressed, but you can be sure they'll notice and hold it against you if you show up too casual. Your attire shows what you think of the position you're seeking. Sure, a suit sucks in hot weather...but if anything, the company will appreciate the fact that you dressed up for them despite the heat.</p>

<p>I wear jeans and a polo shirt to work, and I could wear shorts, t-shirt, and sandals (if the A/C wasn't so freaking cold, I probably would!). Everyone dresses like this if they wish, some people dress up more, but it doesn't get them anywhere. However, EVERYONE dresses up for their interviews when they come seeking a job at our company.</p>

<p>Ultimately, it comes down to how badly you need the job. Is it work risking being more comfortable? Maybe it really doesn't matter. But if your mortgage is on the line, better safe than sorry, IMHO.</p>

<p>If the person who'll be interviewing you is wearing dress clothes, you need a jacket and tie and dress pants, or, better, a suit. If the person who'll be interviewing you isn't, you're STILL better off in dress gear.</p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /><strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

<p>Here in northern California, a suit or a tie is a sure way to look out of place. There used to be a guy on my street who didn't talk to anyone and drove to work every day in a suit. The only thing we could figure was "used car salesman" or "bank teller." The last funeral I went to, nobody wore a suit or a tie. People who are going to show up for work every day in board shorts and flip flops aren't going to wear a suit.</p>

<p>I went to the interview with a shirt and tie only(pants included). As soon as I put on the jacket this morning, I started sweating like the Niagra Falls. Luckilly there wasn't allot of heavy traffic on the way there, but I had the AC running full blast just in case. The guy who interviewed me was dressed causally, so were all the other photographers there. there was a long line of High-school Seniors getting their pictures taken today when I arrived, but nobody even asked me if I was getting my picture taken, darn it. Must be all those grey hairs.</p>

<p>I usually wear dress pants, and a dress shirt with a very loosely tied tie......I can feel comfortable like that in the hottest hot. When I actually step in the front door of the place the tie gets fixed. I would never wear a jacket or suit these days. But, I actually have asked during every email or phone con what is appropriate dress for their interviews and most are quite happy with the dress code I've settled into.</p>

<p>And most of the time.....even with just that level of dress, I'm still the overdressed one.</p>

<p>I have never worn a suit to an interview or even a tie (I threw away all of my ties last year as they are a ridiculous piece of clothing). </p>

<p>I think that a suit should only be worn to an interview if you are going to be wearing one whilst working. Otherwise it's smart but casual for me - and I have been offered the job after about 90% of the interviews I have been to.</p>

<p>Years ago, I went on an interview - in a suit.<br>

One of the things the interviewer commented on was that I was the <em>only </em>one who showed up in a suit for the interview. He said it shows that I take him and the job seriously.<br>

I didn't have some of the skills he was looking for but to make a long story short, out of all the people he interviewed, I was one of two people that he was considering for the position (at least that's what the head hunter told me) - all because I wore a suit. I lost out to the other guy who had more experience with a certain skill.<br>

If I had as much experience as the other guy or maybe just a little more, I would have gotten the job just because I showed up in a suit.</p>

<p>Speaking as someone who live in the Hotlanta area and who doesn't have air conditioning in his car, here are some tips to wearing a suit in hot weather:<br>

1) Don't wear the jacket and tie when driving. If you're not good at ties, wear it.<br>

2) T-shirt underneath. It keeps the sweat from getting to the surface to the dress shirt. Yeah, it's hot.<br>

3) Arrive very early and hang out in the lobby or waiting room to allow yourself to dry off and cool down. If there isn't, try to find a restroom to duck into. Find the AC vent and sit under it or over it; which ever the case may be.<br>

4) Wash your hands in cold water - they'll be sweaty.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>